Disapointed with KitKat

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You can still move files and stuff there, it's just third party apps that can't access the sd card. From what I understood, which wasn't much either, was that it was done to keep junk files from 3rd party apps from cluttering up your SD card with crapola. I don't use any other app but stock music to listen to my songs, it gets the job done lol. Same with your stock camera, you should still be able to save your pictures to SD but not with a third party camera app. This is just what I read on various tech blogs, so I can't elaborate too much.

Sent from my S4 to you via Tapatalk 🍬

Larzukzek

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Third party apps being unable to write to SD...

What limitations if any, would this impose on PowerAmp? Playlists? Tag Editing? Etc.

Be nice if they could come out and say in laymans terms what the change would mean for the average end user. I consider myself pretty intelligent, Although the way the explanation is written in some articles is archaic to me.

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah been noticing lately when I go on the internet with my device after I close it out, I am constantly getting "this program has encountered an error and has closed" I found an article online to change my device to a Nexus Kit Kat but it didn't work. anyone out there familiar with rooting a att galaxy s4 to make it a pure google android device?

This is getting ridiculous

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Third party apps being unable to write to SD...

What limitations if any, would this impose on PowerAmp? Playlists? Tag Editing? Etc.

Be nice if they could come out and say in laymans terms what the change would mean for the average end user. I consider myself pretty intelligent, Although the way the explanation is written in some articles is archaic to me.

If you use a Podcast app, then it won't be able to download podcasts to the SD Card. That means if you have a lot of subscriptions that Sync i.e. 3 episodes per subscription and they're like 50MB MP3 files each episode, you're going to have to put them on internal storage and they will eat up a ton of space. Music services that could cache to SD Card won't be able to anymore, so all your offline music will have to go onto the internal storage, which can eat up a ton of space.

If you have a 16GB device, and you have like 4GB of this type of data on the SD Card currently, you may have to reconfigure everything so now you'll be moving that to the internal storage unless you want to take a huge hit to user experience trying to manage that. It can be a big deal for some people. On a 32GB device, it may not be a showstopper.

On something like a GS4 with not a huge amount of free internal storage even out of the box (compared to other devices), it can be a huge factor and a potential usability nightmare.

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah been noticing lately when I go on the internet with my device after I close it out, I am constantly getting "this program has encountered an error and has closed" I found an article online to change my device to a Nexus Kit Kat but it didn't work. anyone out there familiar with rooting a att galaxy s4 to make it a pure google android device?

This is getting ridiculous

Check xda developers. Also its called AOSP not nexus KitKat.

Sent From My Smoking Hot Galaxy SIII

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Can you or anyone else elaborate on this please? Like you can no longer move Apps to SD? Or SD storage all together does not work? I'm somewhat of an audiophile and use my phone as a music player with around 30 some odd GB's of music, So having SD storage is critical.

I read an article that talked about the changes although I couldn't truly understand the changes through the tech talk and how it affects the end user.

I use my GN3 in exactly the same way and, although I've downloaded kitkat, I've yet to install it.

I don't know about Poweramp but I've read that it has caused problems with Neutron, which is the best music app and the one I use.

In life I generally follow the old rule 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Sent from my SM-N9005

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to using ART (Android RunTime) after I updated to KitKat 4.4.2 on my Nexus 7 (Grouper) but after seeing that many apps don't work under it, the air has been let out of the KitKat balloon for me.

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I was looking forward to using ART (Android RunTime) after I updated to KitKat 4.4.2 on my Nexus 7 (Grouper) but after seeing that many apps don't work under it, the air has been let out of the KitKat balloon for me.

Were talking about touchwiz not stock which are totally different stock which your nexus uses its considered perfectly stable and can run anything jellybean can and has almost no issues.

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 3 with the factory stock Android image (TouchWiz and all) along with a Nexus 7. I was looking forward to KitKat on my Note 3 but with the fact that I'm not seeing that much to make me want to upgrade to KitKat, again the air has been let out of the KitKat balloon for me.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Were talking about touchwiz not stock which are totally different stock which your nexus uses its considered perfectly stable and can run anything jellybean can and has almost no issues.

It took weeks for Adobe to get Photoshop Express to run properly under ART so I don't think that statement is accurate.

Also, didn't WhatsApp have issues running under ART as well, for basically weeks before they issued an update to support it.

There actually are quite a few apps that don't run properly under ART.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 3 with the factory stock Android image (TouchWiz and all) along with a Nexus 7. I was looking forward to KitKat on my Note 3 but with the fact that I'm not seeing that much to make me want to upgrade to KitKat, again the air has been let out of the KitKat balloon for me.
The main benefit of KitKat on the Note III are performance improvements. Refined Mobile Printing. A Camera FW update, IIRC. Better quick access to the camera from the lock screen (without having to turn on that terrible lock screen widget system, or pinning shortcuts to your lock screen). And easy way to set Defaults for things like the Launcher and Messaging App. It also gives the phone full support for Emoji, not that I think that even matters since Samsung has had full emoji support in their devices (with Emoji in their KB) since 4.2.

I have no issues with them making my already fast phone faster :p

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
It took weeks for Adobe to get Photoshop Express to run properly under ART so I don't think that statement is accurate.

Also, didn't WhatsApp have issues running under ART as well, for basically weeks before they issued an update to support it.

There actually are quite a few apps that don't run properly under ART.

ART isn't even enabled as default in KitKat so that doesn't make sense... KitKat defaults to dalvic which EVERY android version uses so I don't see what all the hate about KitKat is about. If YOU enable test features THATS ON YOU!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
ART isn't even enabled as default in KitKat so that doesn't make sense... KitKat defaults to dalvic which EVERY android version uses so I don't see what all the hate about KitKat is about. If YOU enable test features THATS ON YOU!

Why are you flipping it. I simply stated a fact to counter your non-fact. ART breaks and has broken quite a few apps, period. Major ones, to boot.

Caps Lock is immature and uncalled for. I read fine without you abusing it
You can't tell something is perfectly stable and then yell at them when they say one of their apps broke under it. By saying it's perfectly stable you are in effect telling them that everything can be expected to run flawless on it.

How you're saying, basically, your mileage may vary - which is complete 180 from the statement you made earlier (which I quoted).

OEMs like Samsung are avoiding the issue statements like yours create by ripping ART out of their Kit Kat updates. That's the best way to avoid those issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Why are you flipping it. I simply stated a fact to counter your non-fact. ART breaks and has broken quite a few apps, period. Major ones, to boot.

Caps Lock is immature and uncalled for. I read fine without you abusing it
You can't tell something is perfectly stable and then yell at them when they say one of their apps broke under it. By saying it's perfectly stable you are in effect telling them that everything can be expected to run flawless on it.

How you're saying, basically, your mileage may vary - which is complete 180 from the statement you made earlier (which I quoted).

OEMs like Samsung are avoiding the issue statements like yours create by ripping ART out of their Kit Kat updates. That's the best way to avoid those issues.

lul I wasn't yelling at you or "abusing" you with caps (how can you yell at someone online) when you open development settings its like rooting your responsible.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
lul I wasn't yelling at you or "abusing" you with caps (how can you yell at someone online) when you open development settings its like rooting your responsible.

Those two things aren't equivalent.

And using caps is the online equivalent to yelling.

I said you abused caps lock. Not me.

bradley129

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Those two things aren't equivalent.

And using caps is the online equivalent to yelling.

I said you abused caps lock. Not me.

Caps is used for putting EMPHASIS on a WORD I'm not a teen girl texting YELLING AT HER FRIENDS I'm using it the correct way.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Caps is used for yelling and/or emphasizing. It's up to user, reader and situational discretion.
when all words are in caps it's yelling.
when only certain words are in caps it is simply emphasizing that particular word. This is my opinion.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
On another note, anyone who listens to music alot notice that if you shuffle music and then have to go out of your music player that it doesn't automatically stay shuffled? At least mine used to on 4.3. Minor workaround but just an observation.

Posted via Android Central App

Andrei M

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have application lag several times and crash (didn't responding) after kitkat update.
Battery warmer (when open several apps).
I feel battery drain faster too.

Posted via Android Central App

Larzukzek

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious, With all the problems and bugs with KitKat, Do they ever push out a fix update for a large OS update? Or do they pretty much just push out the main OS update and thats it...If there's problems, Deal with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy