4.4.2 update very unstable. Help?

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey, everyone. I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 that isn't rooted. I updated my phone to version 4.4.2 a few days ago and have been noticing a lot of problems with it. I'll start listing a few here so someone can help me out. Note that all of these problems were never a thing before this update.

1. When my phone is asleep, sometimes trying to wake it up will not work. The screen will stay off and I'll have to force it to shut down and turn it back on.

2. My battery is dying quickly. Just a moment ago I went from 100% battery to about 58% battery within an hour and I wasn't doing anything but watching a YouTube video or browsing Facebook. At one point the battery dropped from 80% to 58% instantly. I had nothing open, just YouTube and Facebook. I didn't have anything strenuous running in the background - I keep tabs on stuff like that as I am anal about having optimum performance on my phone. Not that it means anything but my RAM usually sticks around 600. Just giving you an idea of how much I keep things in order.

3. I use the AVG AntiVirus application for its app password feature to keep people out of certain apps unless they enter the correct password, however, now it's an issue when entering a password. When I press on the enter password area, my keyboard will pop up but the app will restart, and I'd have to enter it again. Sometimes it'll restart for the second time before I can enter the app.

4. When watching YouTube videos for long periods of time, I've noticed quite a bit of lag. If I'm watching a video in landscape mode and try to turn my phone upright to view notifications, the phone will not change from landscape mode for awhile. It'll stay frozen for several seconds. If I see it isn't changing, I'll just turn my phone back to landscape mode and eventually the phone will change upright while I'm in landscape mode and then later change back to landscape mode since I had been in landscape mode. It's a very long delay that will cause someone to keep trying to change the video from portrait to landscape and vice versa with a very long delay which will eventually cause your screen to catch up with whatever mode you tried to have it in prior. This causes frustration.

5. When turning my phone on, it'll sometimes take awhile before my phone starts getting a signal. Even then I have to sometimes manually turn my wi-fi on.

Any suggestions on what I should do without rooting or reformatting my phone? Because I don't want to go through the hassle of rooting and I don't want to lose my data. Thanks in advance.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, everyone. I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 that isn't rooted. I updated my phone to version 4.4.2 a few days ago and have been noticing a lot of problems with it. I'll start listing a few here so someone can help me out. Note that all of these problems were never a thing before this update.

1. When my phone is asleep, sometimes trying to wake it up will not work. The screen will stay off and I'll have to force it to shut down and turn it back on.

2. My battery is dying quickly. Just a moment ago I went from 100% battery to about 58% battery within an hour and I wasn't doing anything but watching a YouTube video or browsing Facebook. At one point the battery dropped from 80% to 58% instantly. I had nothing open, just YouTube and Facebook. I didn't have anything strenuous running in the background - I keep tabs on stuff like that as I am anal about having optimum performance on my phone. Not that it means anything but my RAM usually sticks around 600. Just giving you an idea of how much I keep things in order.

3. I use the AVG AntiVirus application for its app password feature to keep people out of certain apps unless they enter the correct password, however, now it's an issue when entering a password. When I press on the enter password area, my keyboard will pop up but the app will restart, and I'd have to enter it again. Sometimes it'll restart for the second time before I can enter the app.

4. When watching YouTube videos for long periods of time, I've noticed quite a bit of lag. If I'm watching a video in landscape mode and try to turn my phone upright to view notifications, the phone will not change from landscape mode for awhile. It'll stay frozen for several seconds. If I see it isn't changing, I'll just turn my phone back to landscape mode and eventually the phone will change upright while I'm in landscape mode and then later change back to landscape mode since I had been in landscape mode. It's a very long delay that will cause someone to keep trying to change the video from portrait to landscape and vice versa with a very long delay which will eventually cause your screen to catch up with whatever mode you tried to have it in prior. This causes frustration.

5. When turning my phone on, it'll sometimes take awhile before my phone starts getting a signal. Even then I have to sometimes manually turn my wi-fi on.

Any suggestions on what I should do without rooting or reformatting my phone? Because I don't want to go through the hassle of rooting and I don't want to lose my data. Thanks in advance.

Try rebooting into recovery and clearing cache: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I did it, thanks. Hopefully this fixes some problems. It seemed to fix an issue I had with a widget and my signal worked as soon as I started the phone up. Don't want to jinx it because I heard it didn't work for others.

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My phone is now unusable. I had it charging and went to grab it and use it but I keep getting the message "Unfortunately, proccess.acore has stopped working" something like that. When I press ok, it immediately does it again in a never ending loop. I can't do anything on my phone. I've had a lot of problems with androids so far, an iPhone is looking pretty good right now. I'm going to have to reformat the phone now. =/ Thanks for your help though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone is now unusable. I had it charging and went to grab it and use it but I keep getting the message "Unfortunately, proccess.acore has stopped working" something like that. When I press ok, it immediately does it again in a never ending loop. I can't do anything on my phone. I've had a lot of problems with androids so far, an iPhone is looking pretty good right now. I'm going to have to reformat the phone now. =/ Thanks for your help though.

Sorry about all the bad luck. Can't think of anything else to suggest.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Factory reset the phone. That's an obvious one and I always recommend people do this following any major FW update. Yes it sucks, but would you rather a normal phone and just set it up again or an usable one with preserved game saves or whatever?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Factory reset is the way to go

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Sprint S4 updated to 4.4.2. No problems at all, great battery life. When I first got the S4 I did go through a ton of settings disabling lots of things I have no use for. I charge the phone overnight and unplug at 6am. Light use, maybe 30 minutes calls, play a few games off and on and by 9pm its usually around 70-80% left. Only issue I had with update was many apps disappeared from home screens. Had to reorganize but fine since.