Android 4.4.2 update on Galaxy Note 3 drains battery (1% every minute!)

benfelix89

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I am on Three UK, and I manually searched for an update for my Galaxy Note 3 today, while on my wireless network. My phone showed that a KitKat 4.4.2 update was available which was approx. 391 MB in size. Downloaded and installed it.

The install worked fine, but after the install, my phone seems to be draining the battery at 1% every minute. I have turned off GPS, wireless, mobile data etc. but to no avail.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? I dont even have Skype installed on my phone (as Google asked some users to uninstall Skype)

Please help!

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Sounds similar to a report I read on the Nexus 5 - seems to be an issue with the OS code there, not closing down the camera after an app accesses it. Google says its working on a fix for the Nexus - maybe its more global than they think?

530XI

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Sounds similar to a report I read on the Nexus 5 - seems to be an issue with the OS code there, not closing down the camera after an app accesses it. Google says its working on a fix for the Nexus - maybe its more global than they think?
An app is using the camera on it's own and it fails to close? Creepy. I better get the local exorcist's number just in case.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
An app is using the camera on it's own and it fails to close? Creepy. I better get the local exorcist's number just in case.

;-)

I'm guessing by the description its any app that you open that can access the camera based on it's permissions - Camera, Skype, Google+ are obvious ones, but I'm sure there are others lurking. Even if you don't access the camera, when you close down the app, its not shutting down the camera deep in the code. So its merrily drains the battery...