Intermittent Hangouts Keyboard Problem

doogeem3

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having an issue with opening hangouts and the keyboard not inputting anything into the message field. The keyboards responds to keys pressed but nothing shows up.

I have to close Hangouts from Recent Apps and reopen it to get the keyboard to work. Happens quite often but not everytime.

Problem is on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.2. This is my second Nexus 5 so I'm thinking it's a bug in the software but haven't found anyone else with the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having an issue with opening hangouts and the keyboard not inputting anything into the message field. The keyboards responds to keys pressed but nothing shows up.

I have to close Hangouts from Recent Apps and reopen it to get the keyboard to work. Happens quite often but not everytime.

Problem is on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.2. This is my second Nexus 5 so I'm thinking it's a bug in the software but haven't found anyone else with the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Haven't had issues, but I'm not using a N5. Have you tried clearing the app's cache?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

wwelles

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
You're not crazy OP I have the same issue. Let me know if you figure it out. In my case I have to kill hangouts in the app into before it works.

bille2021

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I see this is older, but I have this issue to. Nexus 5 rooted.

I didn't have this issue, then I did a factory wipe and clean install (no restoration of apps) to fix another issue (music controls on lockscreen being intermittent) and this appeared.

I would guess it seems to be about every 5 texts or so. I have to swipe it from the recent apps to get it to work again. If anyone found a fix for this please let know.

Thanks.

bille2021

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just posting my solution for future searchers as I never found a solution anywhere else.

I just cleared my hangouts data in the Settings--> Apps--> Hangouts section. I haven't had this issue since.

Be aware this will clear all of your SMS logs. I didn't bother backing my SMS up. If you really wan to keep your SMS history then use another app to back it up first, but if you restore the SMS data, it could just re-instate the problem.

Good Luck.