Apps/features I would need If i make a switch

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
1.So it has been sometime I have been planning to switch from my iOS to Android/WP/BB

Features I need:
Is there any option to pin Reminders/notes to the Notification center AND/OR LOCKSCREEN? This is a must needed,must must needed thing... or any app/tweak/addons to do that function??? pLEASE help me...

Robust Calender + task app that is full blown customizable and featurful,Like for example,It can set multiple number of alerts for the event and we can adjust the the time when the alert with go off,then we will set the second alert about the "Same" event...so any apps,tweaks,addons?

App or tweaks for nagging reminders,like Dayminders i.e reminders will repeat after every say 5 minutes,30 minutes,5 hours,2 hours etc,and they will also have a "nag-me" option like nagging the reminder every minute until I turn the phone on... some of you MIGHT be familier with a similer app in iOS named "alarmed",I am providing its name for reference...

2. Evernote??? how the app quality is comparable to its iOS counterpart?

3. featureful To-do apps like "Any.do,Omnifocus,checkmark2,Things,Wunderlist,Organize pro "???? etc ??

5. an fast launching app to make some quick random notes??? how is the stock notes app?

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
1.So it has been sometime I have been planning to switch from my iOS to Android/WP/BB

Features I need:
Is there any option to pin Reminders/notes to the Notification center AND/OR LOCKSCREEN? This is a must needed,must must needed thing... or any app/tweak/addons to do that function??? pLEASE help me...

Robust Calender + task app that is full blown customizable and featurful,Like for example,It can set multiple number of alerts for the event and we can adjust the the time when the alert with go off,then we will set the second alert about the "Same" event...so any apps,tweaks,addons?

App or tweaks for nagging reminders,like Dayminders i.e reminders will repeat after every say 5 minutes,30 minutes,5 hours,2 hours etc,and they will also have a "nag-me" option like nagging the reminder every minute until I turn the phone on... some of you MIGHT be familier with a similer app in iOS named "alarmed",I am providing its name for reference...

3. featureful To-do apps like "Any.do,Omnifocus,checkmark2,Things,Wunderlist,Organize pro "???? etc ??

5. an fast launching app to make some quick random notes??? how is the stock notes app?

BUMP,please help,urgent help needed

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Features I need:
The lock screen can host a number of useful widgets, but not all will DISPLAY your info, only link to it. Widget Locker can display most widgets that you would see on your home screen, so that would surely sort you. More, much more, than I see on iOS.

I can do that and more in Google Android's stock calendar. No add-ons req'd.

That's a bit more complicated. You might find Google Now reminders do this for you. I find Calendar reminders are pretty darn naggy. There are tons of 3rd party tools for this though.

Haven't used it a year or two, I prefer Google's own Keep app. Some I know are tired of Evernote's "busy-ness."

I don't use these as much, I don't even use Gmail's To-Do list. But there are plenty, I'm sure.

Well you mentioned Evernote, and I mentioned Keep. Those are the big dogs ,and there are many more in the kennel. I find Keep is super quick and random enough for me.

BTW, the spell checking on Android keyboards like Swiftkey and Swype and Google Android Keyboard is way, way better than I see on iOS. ;)

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
The lock screen can host a number of useful widgets, but not all will DISPLAY your info, only link to it. Widget Locker can display most widgets that you would see on your home screen, so that would surely sort you. More, much more, than I see on iOS.

I can do that and more in Google Android's stock calendar. No add-ons req'd.

That's a bit more complicated. You might find Google Now reminders do this for you. I find Calendar reminders are pretty darn naggy. There are tons of 3rd party tools for this though.

Haven't used it a year or two, I prefer Google's own Keep app. Some I know are tired of Evernote's "busy-ness."

I don't use these as much, I don't even use Gmail's To-Do list. But there are plenty, I'm sure.

Well you mentioned Evernote, and I mentioned Keep. Those are the big dogs ,and there are many more in the kennel. I find Keep is super quick and random enough for me.

BTW, the spell checking on Android keyboards like Swiftkey and Swype and Google Android Keyboard is way, way better than I see on iOS. ;)

well thank you very much for your kind reply :)

Are you sure there are third party alternatives to that complicated 'nagging reminder' feature,I am providing a link to an iOS app which allows all this and more,along with list of features,Can I get the same third party app on android,and I know i might,any idea about its name or so??

the app is "Alarmed" by yoctoville

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/pk/app/alarmed-reminders-+-timers/id371886784?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]https://itunes.apple.com/pk/app/alarmed-reminders-+-timers/id371886784?mt=8[/URL]

Key features:

KEY BENEFITS AND FEATURES

Pop-Up Reminder Alerts
• Create or edit Quick Reminders with just a couple of taps.
• Super Reminders offer complete configurability, including robust repeat options, snooze, choice of custom sounds, pre-alarms, notes and more.
• Drop-down panel for easy access to key features, including Nag-Me, snoozing options, notes and editing.
• The Nag-Me feature allows for auto-repeating of reminders at intervals of either 1 minute or 1 hour. The reminder will continue to repeat until acknowledged.
• DayMinders features repeating reminders throughout the day, such as start at 9:00, repeat every 45 minutes for 8 hours.
• Duplicate, mail and message your reminders.

Now yes I guess Widgets would take care of the Notes on LS/NC thing...BUT regarding calenders,can we setup more than 2 alerts?

And by quick note taking app I meant any app whose launch time is super quick,so any app which you might be aware of?

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Are you sure there are third party alternatives to that complicated 'nagging reminder' feature,I am providing a link to an iOS app which allows all this and more,along with list of features,Can I get the same third party app on android,and I know i might,any idea about its name or so??

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/pk/app/alarmed-reminders-+-timers/id371886784?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]https://itunes.apple.com/pk/app/alarmed-reminders-+-timers/id371886784?mt=8[/URL]

Key features:

Pop-Up Reminder Alerts
• Create or edit Quick Reminders with just a couple of taps.
• Super Reminders offer complete configurability, including robust repeat options, snooze, choice of custom sounds, pre-alarms, notes and more.
• Drop-down panel for easy access to key features, including Nag-Me, snoozing options, notes and editing.
• The Nag-Me feature allows for auto-repeating of reminders at intervals of either 1 minute or 1 hour. The reminder will continue to repeat until acknowledged.
• DayMinders features repeating reminders throughout the day, such as start at 9:00, repeat every 45 minutes for 8 hours.
• Duplicate, mail and message your reminders.

Now yes I guess Widgets would take care of the Notes on LS/NC thing...BUT regarding calenders,can we setup more than 2 alerts?

And by quick note taking app I meant any app whose launch time is super quick,so any app which you might be aware of?

BUMP...kindly help me with the above quoted queries :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Features I need:

It also depends on the device you get.

The Moto X has Active Notifications that act as an onscreen reminder of something that has come up. Say you get a text, until you answer it, it will flash the text icon in the center of the screen. You can pres and hold it, and it gives a small preview. Swipe up to go to the text, and immediately reply.

The X also has Always listening, which is directly linked to Google now. You can set a reminder by simply saying 'OK Google Now, set reminder pay cell bill tomorrow 5 pm'. And it will bring up the reminder and ask for confirmation.

2. Evernote I used for a couple days and hated it. Prefer Keep.

3. Google now reminders, or setting reminders in Keep. No third party apps needed.

What happened to 4?

5. Again, setting either Google now or Keep.

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
It also depends on the device you get.

The Moto X has Active Notifications that act as an onscreen reminder of something that has come up. Say you get a text, until you answer it, it will flash the text icon in the center of the screen. You can pres and hold it, and it gives a small preview. Swipe up to go to the text, and immediately reply.

The X also has Always listening, which is directly linked to Google now. You can set a reminder by simply saying 'OK Google Now, set reminder pay cell bill tomorrow 5 pm'. And it will bring up the reminder and ask for confirmation.

2. Evernote I used for a couple days and hated it. Prefer Keep.

3. Google now reminders, or setting reminders in Keep. No third party apps needed.

What happened to 4?

5. Again, setting either Google now or Keep.

Well that Moto X's feature is really practical and a neat one,really helpful,But it is for notifications I guess

I need the option to pin reminders/notes on Lockscreen and Notification center both...

Also app that have "dayminders' and "nagging alarm feature"...

And Can google keep allows us to setup custom alerts,and more than 2 or 3 alerts? like 4 5 "customized" alerts? does it allow us to pin the calendar/event on our Lockscreen/NC

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, the active notifications flash when the device is off. So its kind of like a pin to your lock screen. But I do not know how to make the phone do what you would like.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Key features:

Pop-Up Reminder Alerts
? Create or edit Quick Reminders with just a couple of taps.
? Super Reminders offer complete configurability, including robust repeat options, snooze, choice of custom sounds, pre-alarms, notes and more.
? Drop-down panel for easy access to key features, including Nag-Me, snoozing options, notes and editing.
? The Nag-Me feature allows for auto-repeating of reminders at intervals of either 1 minute or 1 hour. The reminder will continue to repeat until acknowledged.
? DayMinders features repeating reminders throughout the day, such as start at 9:00, repeat every 45 minutes for 8 hours.
? Duplicate, mail and message your reminders.

Yes I am sure. You can set any number of reminders for a single calendar event. There's snoozing functionality, and with 4.3 and later, you can cancel snoozed alarms from the notifications area. You can cancel upcoming alarms as well. There are a lot of third party calendar widgets that can display your calendar on the home screen and lock screen: Phil likes Calendar Plus, I use Agenda Widget Pro. The latter provides a lock screen widget (stock Android), and with Widget Locker you can put any widget on its lock screen augment.

I'm not going to do detailed research on apps and compare for you. You can do that yourself just fine. I know how you feel, when I leapt from my Nokia 6682 to Android, I was worried if routine functions that I relied upon would be retained. And you know what? I had to adapt a little. I had to learn some new paradigms, and I discovered some very cool new capabilities. I'm pleased that there almost nothing on Android that can't be customized to personal taste; not so with iOS. In fact, iOS 7's notifications and control center are clearly modeled upon features that Android's had for over a year.

You will adapt. You just have to make the leap. Best of luck to you.

I would look at the AndroidCentral reviews for the HTC One (M8), Moto X that Golfdriver recommends, and the Nexus 5.

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes I am sure. You can set any number of reminders for a single calendar event. There's snoozing functionality, and with 4.3 and later, you can cancel snoozed alarms from the notifications area. You can cancel upcoming alarms as well. There are a lot of third party calendar widgets that can display your calendar on the home screen and lock screen: Phil likes Calendar Plus, I use Agenda Widget Pro. The latter provides a lock screen widget (stock Android), and with Widget Locker you can put any widget on its lock screen augment.

I'm not going to do detailed research on apps and compare for you. You can do that yourself just fine. I know how you feel, when I leapt from my Nokia 6682 to Android, I was worried if routine functions that I relied upon would be retained. And you know what? I had to adapt a little. I had to learn some new paradigms, and I discovered some very cool new capabilities. I'm pleased that there almost nothing on Android that can't be customized to personal taste; not so with iOS. In fact, iOS 7's notifications and control center are clearly modeled upon features that Android's had for over a year.

You will adapt. You just have to make the leap. Best of luck to you.

I would look at the AndroidCentral reviews for the HTC One (M8), Moto X that Golfdriver recommends, and the Nexus 5.

Please don't bump your thread due to impatience. This is the Internet, not a call center -- people are not standing by to answer you personally. Give threads a day or two for people to reply to. ;)

Thank you very very very much chromejob for the detailed help thankyou...so android wins in productivity for me...not being hindered by lock-ins and stuff...i am so happy..actually my budget is meagre,hence i am torn b/w buying a moto g or optimus g/g pro.. Why optimus g? Because it has very good camera atleast comparable to my 4s,and SPECIALLY SPECIALLY 3gb of ram really makes it better than moto g...though an old device but still it was a flagship once...

Why NOT pro? Yes i know g pro is a win win deal over others,BUt i am afraid of running into size and handling problems...

WHY moto g? Due to kitkat and overall package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
WHY moto g? Due to kitkat and overall package

Just so you know, Moto G dosen't come with Active Display. There's a app called AcDisplay which is sorta the same concept.

I do not understand this 'pin' notifications thing? With androids notifications you can push all of them away, or certain ones away and the rest just stay there until you check them. Alarmed.. I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure there is reminder apps that will remind you, maybe just not every waking minute. Also if you like the Any.Do stuff both the to-do list and Calender are on android.

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Just so you know, Moto G dosen't come with Active Display. There's a app called AcDisplay which is sorta the same concept.

I do not understand this 'pin' notifications thing? With androids notifications you can push all of them away, or certain ones away and the rest just stay there until you check them. Alarmed.. I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure there is reminder apps that will remind you, maybe just not every waking minute. Also if you like the Any.Do stuff both the to-do list and Calender are on android.

I think I mentioned it repeatedly that I don't need to pin "Notifications",I need to pin "Quick Notes" on LS And NC...They act like sort of quick reminders,whenever I will wake up the phone they will be sitting in front of my eyes on the LS...So they are extremely helpful...

No Alarm apps that nag you every minute/hour etc? this is disappointing :(

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I mentioned it repeatedly that I don't need to pin "Notifications",I need to pin "Quick Notes" on LS And NC...They act like sort of quick reminders,whenever I will wake up the phone they will be sitting in front of my eyes on the LS...So they are extremely helpful...

No Alarm apps that nag you every minute/hour etc? this is disappointing :(

I believe you could do that with widgets, on the lockscreen and home screen, where it would show you the notes/reminders straight up. Dont know about the nc, those would probably just be reminders.

I'm sure theres alarm apps that go off every hour.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I like the Evernote app. It has a widget for quick access. I don't trust Google to keep Keep around for any length of time and I've been using Evernote for years.

I recently made the switch to android for the probably tenth time over the years and for the first time in all those attempts this one seems to be sticking. Android had surpassed iOS in many ways and is quite a nice operating system. Or at least not anything that makes me want to throw it out the window anymore. :)

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I like the Evernote app. It has a widget for quick access. I don't trust Google to keep Keep around for any length of time and I've been using Evernote for years.

I recently made the switch to android for the probably tenth time over the years and for the first time in all those attempts this one seems to be sticking. Android had surpassed iOS in many ways and is quite a nice operating system. Or at least not anything that makes me want to throw it out the window anymore. :)

Omg really? A widget for quick entries this is convincing btw...but is their any way to display selected evernote entries on LS/NC?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
OneNote is better than Evernote, IMO.

Wunderlist is on Android, Omnifocus will never come to Android as the developers are hardcore Apple developers and have practically stated they won't be porting it over. Unless you are a die hard tasker you shouldn't really need more than Google Keep + Exchange Tasks (for that you'll need to use a service like Outlook.com and a Calendar App that supports Exchange Tasks the way i.e. Samsung's Calendar app does), TBQH.

I think you should worry about getting the basics set up before all this other customization stuff. It doesn't help if you can get everything else when you find that certain use cases you were used to on iOS do not port over well to Android - which is totally possible with the different ways in which Apple and Google set their services up (i.e. Google+ dependent services on Android, iOS/OSX-only services on iOS). When I went to iOS the issue wasn't what could be done but how it's accomplished. The amount of changes in the manner in which I did things were too many and made it a hassle to stay on that platform. Familiarity and technological muscle memory counts for a lot. Even as a very tech literate person, I just didn't have the time to relearn how to do things on my device, or develop work arounds to employ.