Someone please tell me what this feature is called

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I came from an S3 I kept on 4.1.1 to an S5 with Kitkat so I'm not sure if this was implemented earlier. No matter which Web browser I use when I tap on close together links, like say the page numbers for a thread on a forum, it used to just go to what it thought I tapped on and was nearly always right. Now when I tap on a link bunched near others there is a popup bubble that zooms the options so I can more easily select the link. I get how that is great for many but it now requires two taps and I never had a problem with it hitting the wrong link. It was almost eerie how well it could tell what I tapped on. There's probably no way to turn it off but I'd like to search up online but using terms like Link Popup Bubble keep bringing me to this guy's app that does something different.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, with some changes to my search terms I discovered the "feature" is called enable link preview. Is there a way to shut it down for good? I really don't like this feature and never had a need for it as Android was always so good at just hitting the right link I tapped.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
OK, with some changes to my search terms I discovered the "feature" is called enable link preview. Is there a way to shut it down for good? I really don't like this feature and never had a need for it as Android was always so good at just hitting the right link I tapped.

...OR you have small fingers. OR you have a large screen, OR you tap more precisely than others. Or all of the above. Etc. etc. There are many variables involved here.
Afaik that 'bubble zoom' feature has been there at least since Android 4.0.X. Maybe even since Gingerbread.
No, Idk how to turn it off.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my HTC Thunderbolt had that, and that only made it to 4.0 or 4.1 (I don't recall which). It may also be a feature of the browser, not the core OS.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm 6' 2" with good sized hands, never had a problem tapping through with bunched links. Anyhow, it's an OS thing for sure as it does it across all browsers. As mentioned, it wasn't there in 4.1.1 so either Samsung kept it out until later or Google didn't put it in till later. Still wish I could turn it off but it's not the end of the world obviously.

Rev.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781