"Obtaining IP address" Loop on Stock KitKat 4.4.2

Ambient13

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

So, I know this issue is really common... but after lots of searching I haven't found a satisfactory solution, only a couple of wonky workarounds.

My Nexus 4 is running 4.4.2 - everything is stock, and unrooted. Perhaps this WiFi bug comes as no surprise since Google likes to take its time fixing it. Anyways, a few certain SSIDs, including a really common public one here called Shaw Go WiFi, are stuck looping "Obtaining IP Address" when I try to connect. Apparently the problem is to do with a DHCP request conflict btwn the router and the client.

With public WiFi, all you can do is deal with it through the client side (or in other words, you have no control over the router). That said, when other devices work on the same network, you know it can't just be the router - my understanding is that it has to do with the kernel/drivers as well. Plus, this did not use to ever happen on my N4 before, which definitely means it isn't 100% on the router side. Perhaps it is to do with my installation of Snapdragon Battery Guru, which I promptly uninstalled to fix the problem but to no avail.

I also tried factory resetting, twice. The second time I did a true hard reset from scratch by not signing in with my Google account or syncing apps/app data. Evidently neither reset resolved the problem.

I have only noticed two prominent workarounds in my research:

1. Deleting a system folder containing files pertaining to the DHCP and fiddling with a couple permissions. This can only be done with root access, which I don't have and want to avoid for now unless I truly need to use it.
2. Use a static IP. Except this is not a real solution at all since it only works for each SSID you come across that doesn't play nice, and it doesn't work anyways if you do not know the Static IP, Gateway address and Subnet mask, etc in the case of a public access point.

In terms of a REAL solution, I initially had hopes that 4.4.3 will be the one to fix this .. and who knows it might. But when I looked deep into past threads throughout the web, I was flabbergasted to find out that this problem has been pervasive since at least the days of Gingerbread, well before I converted to Android along with many others. If after all this time the problem is still there, how can we be sure that Google will resolve it in the next dot release?

Long story short, I am wondering if there is an alternative that is remotely ideal, or at least better than the two mentioned above. If anyone can chime in with a hint that would be great.

Last edited:

Ambient13

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Since originally posting, I have tried: unlocking the bootloader, rooting my device, and deleting old DHCP leases. Then I unrooted, flashed a fresh factory image of stock 4.4.2 and re-locked OEM bootloader.

Nothing has worked so far.

purplepundit

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Today I receved my Android 4.4.2 KITKAT tablet and breaking my head to connect to wi-fi which it shows 'obtaining IP Address...' in a loop. If you found any solution, please update me friend! Thanks

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
My moto g does this sometimes, so I just forget the network, turn WiFi off, put my phone into airplane mode, then turn it off for 2 min. and clear cache and boot it up take airplane mode off and turn WiFi on and then it connects to the network. And sometimes its just the network you try is messed up, mine will connect and show reddish bars but then I can't use the web or play store and anything to do with the internet!! I hope this helps!!!

Posted via Android Central App

purplepundit

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Sorry Colby. It didn't work with my tab. Though I tried another option by resetting the wi-fi security settings of my modem to NO-SECURITY. It works, but I can't keep the network open without any security. Does this gives any hint on the problem? Any option to change the wi-fi security settings?

Thank you for your support!

My moto g does this sometimes, so I just forget the network, turn WiFi off, put my phone into airplane mode, then turn it off for 2 min. and clear cache and boot it up take airplane mode off and turn WiFi on and then it connects to the network. And sometimes its just the network you try is messed up, mine will connect and show reddish bars but then I can't use the web or play store and anything to do with the internet!! I hope this helps!!!

Posted via Android Central App

ORANGEBOWLQUEEN

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I've had my Note 3 since January and never had any issues with the wifi. On Monday I noticed it was not picking up my router. It showed but like everyone has said, it keeps "looping" obtaining IP address. If anyone finds a fix please keep me in the "loop"!

Last edited:

Olger Ferhati

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Press these menu options on your phone: Settings > Wi-fi> (Choose your network by tapping on it for a few seconds) > Modify network config

Check "Show advanced options"

Choose IP Settings: "Static"

Enter these details
IP - 192.168.1.253 or 195.168.1.253 (I chose 192.168.1.253)

Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (I chose 192.168.1.1 since that's my router address)

NPL - 24

Netmask - 255.255.255.0 (I could not find this option)

DNS 1 - 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (I had the latter by default and let it stay)

DNS 2 - 4.4.4.4

And save.

It just connected in a few milliseconds.

JynB

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
this worked for me just now!!! I had to fill out every single other field that you didn't mention with just gibberish until the 'Save' button would appear and i clicked it. Now it says I am connected, like *POOF* no problem! Now i just gotta do this at home :) thank you so much:-*

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Appslova_com

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Try this method:
1. Go to Settings and tap on Wi-Fi.
2. Turn on the Wi-Fi and connect to a network.
3. Long press on the connected network and select Modify Network.
4. Check Show Advance Options.
5. On IP Settings drop down menu, select Static.
6. Assign IP of your choice but leave other variable untouched.
:)

giunteriz

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi i have done everything you wrote step by step, changed connection type to static, and so on. But after i restart the phone (Galaxy S4 I9505) it is asking me again to login to my wifi, not autoconnecting at all. When i login i go in wifi settings and found that my IP settings after restart again changed to DHCP.
Nothing changed. Can you help me, what is the problem and ho to fix it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay