Coming from BlackBerry 10: Some Thoughts and Questions

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello, all. I picked up an HTC One M8 from T-Mobile USA, my first non-BlackBerry phone since the year 2001. Overall, I am pleased. It is a beautiful piece of hardware, no doubt. Two things I find "klunkier" on Android are email handling and flow between apps. This isn't to get into a debate about what platform is better, and clearly the market has spoken, but I do miss the Hub on BB10 (all messages in one place) and the "peek and flow" system of swiping between apps. But Android has many advantages. For now, I'm keeping both devices.

But, I do have some questions, in no particular order, and I apologize if some of these should be in different forums, but this seemed like a good place to start:

Email Handing:

1.) Can I put my Gmail accounts in the stock Email app? I see the option to add a Gmail to that app, but someone told me adding a Gmail there would still put it into the Gmail app rather than the stock Email app.

2.) Right now I have two Exchange Active Sync account in the stock Email app. They are both set to Push 24 hours a day. I sometimes like to look at "All Inboxes" rather than one at a time. However, I find that when I'm in All Inboxes (or All Sent Items), the accounts don't "sync" as often (or at all). Synching/Updating only seems to happen when you're in an individual account. Is this the case? If so, can it be resolved?

3.) It seems that only Inboxes are set to Push. Sent Items seems to only update when you go into that folder ("Updating x/xx" comes up when you open that folder, and all the emails since the last time I was in that folder then sync). Is there to way to have Sent Items (and all other folders) sync in the background?

4.) Can I turn off Conversation mode in the Gmail app? I loathe Conversation mode. I read somewhere that if you turn it off on a PC, it will be off in the app. Not working though. If I cannot, this is partially why I am asking #1 above. I hate Conversation mode so very much.

5.) In the stock Email app, if I create a new message then change my mind and exit out, it automatically saves it. Is there a setting to change this to Prompt or something? Because usually I want to delete what I've created, not save it, and it's a pain to go to Drafts to delete. No big deal, but if there is a setting, I'll change it.

T-Mobile (maybe there should be in the TMO forum, but please comment if you know!)

1.) Is something going on with their My Account app? For days, it did not work "No Network Connection" and now it seems to work but it's acting strange still.

2.) I am using a secondary phone number (and SIM) on this phone for now attached to my main account. When using this SIM in this phone, it seems I am unable to get account use (minutes, messages, data) to appear in the drop down thingy from the top of the screen (what's that called?). But I think it worked when my main SIM was in this phone. Anyone else encountered this?

3.) I tried to purchase something using T-Mobile Carrier Billing (stickers for BBM). I entered the wrong billing ZIP code, and now I cannot purchase anything using T-Mobile Carrier Billing (declined), but I see no place to change the zip code, even in Wallet. Anyone know?

OK, I think that's it for now. As I said, beautiful phone. Still getting used to the OS.

Thanks!
BJ

Last edited:

Deanig_12

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello, all. I picked up an HTC One M8 from T-Mobile USA, my first non-BlackBerry phone since the year 2001. Overall, I am pleased. It is a beautiful piece of hardware, no doubt. Two things I find "klunkier" on Android are email handling and flow between apps. This isn't to get into a debate about what platform is better, and clearly the market has spoken, but I do miss the Hub on BB10 (all messages in one place) and the "peek and flow" system of swiping between apps. But Android has many advantages. For now, I'm keeping both devices.

But, I do have some questions, in no particular order, and I apologize if some of these should be in different forums, but this seemed like a good place to start:

Email Handing:

1.) Can I put my Gmail accounts in the stock Email app? I see the option to add a Gmail to that app, but someone told me adding a Gmail there would still put it into the Gmail app rather than the stock Email app.

2.) Right now I have two Exchange Active Sync account in the stock Email app. They are both set to Push 24 hours a day. I sometimes like to look at "All Inboxes" rather than one at a time. However, I find that when I'm in All Inboxes (or All Sent Items), the accounts don't "sync" as often (or at all). Synching/Updating only seems to happen when you're in an individual account. Is this the case? If so, can it be resolved?

3.) It seems that only Inboxes are set to Push. Sent Items seems to only update when you go into that folder ("Updating x/xx" comes up when you open that folder, and all the emails since the last time I was in that folder then sync). Is there to way to have Sent Items (and all other folders) sync in the background?

4.) Can I turn off Conversation mode in the Gmail app? I loathe Conversation mode. I read somewhere that if you turn it off on a PC, it will be off in the app. Not working though. If I cannot, this is partially why I am asking #1 above. I hate Conversation mode so very much.

5.) In the stock Email app, if I create a new message then change my mind and exit out, it automatically saves it. Is there a setting to change this to Prompt or something? Because usually I want to delete what I've created, not save it, and it's a pain to go to Drafts to delete. No big deal, but if there is a setting, I'll change it.

T-Mobile (maybe there should be in the TMO forum, but please comment if you know!)

1.) Is something going on with their My Account app? For days, it did not work "No Network Connection" and now it seems to work but it's acting strange still.

2.) I am using a secondary phone number (and SIM) on this phone for now attached to my main account. When using this SIM in this phone, it seems I am unable to get account use (minutes, messages, data) to appear in the drop down thingy from the top of the screen (what's that called?). But I think it worked when my main SIM was in this phone. Anyone else encountered this?

3.) I tried to purchase something using T-Mobile Carrier Billing (stickers for BBM). I entered the wrong billing ZIP code, and now I cannot purchase anything using T-Mobile Carrier Billing (declined), but I see no place to change the zip code, even in Wallet. Anyone know?

OK, I think that's it for now. As I said, beautiful phone. Still getting used to the OS.

Thanks!
BJ

this may help with you changing zip cod https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/2466255?hl=en-GB and also for a more faster way of going from app to app just turn off scaling animation

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
this may help with you changing zip cod https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/2466255?hl=en-GB and also for a more faster way of going from app to app just turn off scaling animation

Thanks. Turning off annimation greatly increased speed of moving between apps.

No luck on the carrier billing zip code. It's not integrated into wallet. Must be a tmo setting. But their My Account has been messed up for days.

Found out you can force sync email by pulling down. Duh.

Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay