Can't login - no keyboard for password screeen

droid-chrome

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't have my phone encrypted but I always have it password protected. I updated my Droid RAZR MAXX HD to KitKat 4.4.2 and discovered Swype was no longer bundled with Android. Straight to the PlayStore to get Google Keyboard (aka the old familiar Swype but significantly upgraded). As I had configured previously before the KitKat update, I had Swype as my default keyboard and all other keyboards disabled. So I went to settings disabled the default keyboard and enabled Google Keyboard and Voice Input. Later I went to use my phone and was presented with the expected login screen but saw a spinning red microphone with "Speak Now" and "Waiting for results". No keyboard. Tapping on the red microphone did nothing. Calling the Droid from another phone allowed a keyboard icon to appear to the left but tapping it did nothing (since it was disabled).

I would appreciate any ideas you can offer to solve this problem - it might help others who encounter this problem. It appeared to me after research for several hours most people had not disabled their Default Keyboard and could recover from this. Since I had disabled mine, I have concluded that mine was bricked and left with only a factory reset.

In conclusion, Google Keyboard still has some bugs if it can't handle the login screen. This seems like a precondition to releasing this keyboard software to the community.

~ chrome

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to my Nexus 7. I ended up doing a factory reset. However, one suggestion I didn't try was to plug a USB keyboard into the micro USB port, and type the password in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

droid-chrome

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Before I reset it I plugged it into the USB on my computer to try to download some data. Wasn't happening. Android knows how to secure it when it's secured, ordinarily the computer recognizes the USB mass storage device right away. Nothing, not even an audible tone that a device was attached.

ggtreadwell

May 28, 2014
Visit site
This worked! Had the same issue with my phone over the weekend, the guy at the verizon store said I had no choice but to factory reset. I bought a micro USB to USB OTG adapter, plugged in a keyboard and was able to type in my password and unlock the phone.

stevils

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Installed something called Compass Keyboard, and while I can see it's usefulness, went to turn it off on my Android ZeePad and accidentally chose the default keyboard leaving me with no keyboard choices and Google Voice refused to accept input on the next login.
This thread helped.
Had one glitch tho, used USB A to USB micro B and attached a Microsoft USB keyboard and Android doesn't accept a 'return' key correctly.
Had to go get my USB to PS/2 adapter and hook up the last keyboard laying around which was an old PS/2 Dell keyboard.
1999 keyboard on a 2013 tablet....
Yeah, finally logged in and fixed my mistake!

squillaempusa

May 6, 2015
Visit site
had the same problem. so frustrating. what a great idea with the wired keyboard. i didn't have one of those, but figured a wireless bluetooth one should work, and it did.

this got me out of the same problem. thank you. i can't believe more people haven't mentioned this,.. it seems so obvious in hindsight.

Last edited by a moderator:

greenmr

Jul 6, 2019
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to my Nexus 7. I ended up doing a factory reset. However, one suggestion I didn't try was to plug a USB keyboard into the micro USB port, and type the password in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for saving my butt. My phone carrier sent me a new free Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) yesterday when I signed up for new plan, and today I installed my favorite alternate virtual keyboard on it. Problem is the new keyboard app just started crashing so I thought maybe I needed a reboot to stabilize it. Dumb idea... after the reboot I had no keyboard to log in to Android. I thought I was screwed then came across this thread and your comment about using a wired USB keyboard. I connected an old PC keyboard with a PS/2 connector, through a PS/2 to USB adapter, and finally via an OTG adapter to the tablet. The Galaxy immediately recognized the physical keyboard and I was able to log in and delete the broken virtual keyboard. You are a champ!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463