RAZR HD - Time/Date won't update, can't connect to Google

BB_Rookie

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded to KitKat last night and now my RAZR HD will not display the correct time nor connect to Google. I can't fix either issue and haven't found an exact issue after several hours of searching on the internet. Not surprisingly, Verizon store dude has never seen the issue and has no clue.

After the upgrade completed the date and time on the phone were February 23rd, 2014 about 3 PM (upgrade finished 5/25 around 9pm) and none of the Google related tasks, apps, functions would work. This includes the search at the top of the home screen, email wouldn't sync, search in Chrome would not work, could not switch over to my 2nd gmail account, Play Store would not work, etc.

Time and date would not update manually nor via the system. I turn off the auto update and enter the time or date manually and it does not update. Current time and date stay. I have rebooted and did a factory reset with no change. When I try to add my existing Google account after the reset, I get an error message stating "Can't establish a reliable connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your Android device may not be provisioned for data services." I have a data services turned on.

Before I cleared the cache and app data for Chrome, the message I would receive when I tried to do a search or go to any Google.com URL said something about the SSL and couldn't make a connection.

Any ideas on how to fix these issues?

BB_Rookie

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Some more info...

Getting a "Certificate is not yet valid" warning for any website using https. I am fairly confident that my Google service issues are related to the incorrect date and time causing certificate issues. Hopefully these will be resolved once date/time is correct.

lcol8548

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
My phone updated to 4.4.2 last Thursday. Exactly the same problem. Time/Date are wrong (time is about 2.5hrs ahead of actual time and date is Jan 2013). This is preventing data access, though phone and text still working. Not able to manually change them either. Phone is basically dead at this point. Verizon store also clueless. Downloaded clocksync app. Able to read correct time from NTP but not able to force time to phone without root access.

Any clues?

lcol8548

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I should also mention I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD
Android: 4.4.2
System Ver: 182.46.10.XT926.Verizon.en.US
Build num: KDA20.62-10

metfan923

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey, did you guys ever find an answer for this? I just took the update to 4.4.2, and am experiencing the EXACT SAME issue...

I even tried rooting and installing clocksync, which can connect to the correct NTP server and get the right atomic time, but when i try to sync system time to atomic time, it actually changes the atomic time to the wrong system time, instead of correcting the system time.

i have to tell you, ive never been so close to jumping the android ship. this stuff is just irritating.

1droid2droid

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Bump..

Any resolution? This happened to me after i swapped out my screen. Thought it might be related to some issues getting out the SIM card or something like that... I even brought my phone back to factory and the issue still exists.

Anyone?

ZordonsTorso

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Bumping this too... just ran into this problem today, but upgraded to KitKat over a month ago. Galaxy S3 here.

Phone is pretty much useless now, as it's primary functions for me (email, clock) no longer work.

Hornguy75

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Still no luck. Phone thinks it's Feb 16, 1971. Nothing works and Verizon Wireless doesn't appear to understand what the problem is.

Brad Nagel

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have tried the factory reset and cleared the cache. Verizon's solution is to replace the phone.
Everything works on the phone except for thing associated with google and the time and date being off. I can access other websites and use apps that don't use google. I can not download apps or do updated beacause everything is done through the play store.

I would rather not have to buy a new phone since I am out of warranty and do not have insurance.

Please let me know if someone knows a solution.
thanks
brad

jb4653

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
RAZR MAXX HD
version 4.4.2
Was working perfectly until the battery failed and was replaced. Now, date is January 1, 1970 and time is not correct. Cannot connect to any network resources because of this date/time problem. Tried everything - Changed from automatic network, cannot manually set date or time (will not take it). Hard reset multiple times. Currently running in 'safe mode', still not updating, cannot manually change. Wi-Fi and Verizon network appear to be working, but "certificate errors" and "network servers not available".

Has anyone found a fix for this?

laTORTA

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I've got the same problem.
Motorola Razr HD XT925
I know my country is underdeveloped, but it's not 1970...
Tryed airplane mode, disabling auto-update, restarting phone several times. Nothing works.

4ndr01dpilot

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Happened as well to me post OTA update, but I also lost my custom recovery & had some other issues, so could not really get a handle on what was causing the problem.

At one point in time I actually got the time to reset, but it happened so fast I could not repeat or figure out what i did (essentially just modifying the date/ time settings. However the time settings eventually degraded to the wrong date/time again. Somewhere I did managed to get root access back & discovered that with this problem any of the clock/ntp sync programs do not work. All they do is collect the correct atomic time and when trying to get the app to change the system time, the apps then show the atomic time as the incorrect system time we're trying to change.

Some of my initial research led me to believe it might be a sim card issue/ time&date from towers combined with something changed in the operating system. Tries to reinstall the sim did nothing for the problem. So gave up... for a time. I got pissed at my backup phone while trying to make a phone call, and I pulled the sim & put it back in the Razr HD. After the call I noticed the time was ok again.

All was well for a week & the date was lost again. Time date restored itself after sitting all day on wifi,on airplane mode, no sim. with the settings still turned on to automatically apply

So I have noticed even with the phone showing the correct time, TWRP recovery still thinks the time is the old way wrong time. at this point I had the time right I made sure that date time setting were not set to automatically adjust. I did reboot several times and it didn't change.

So being brave I reinstalled a debloated version of the stock ROM and, sure enough I had the wrong time & date again.

So I made sure the sim was pulled (no phone network) and then only connected to wifi. I put the phone in airplane mode, turned back on wifi let it set/ connect 30 seconds and then went to date & time settings toggled "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" and voila the time corrected itself!

I believe this how I accidentally resolved it the first time. (Or was it the second time?)

So it seems the phone has trouble with where its getting its time from. Maybe there is an issue with the way the latest update reads, interacts with the sim, or there's issues with some radios & the OS getting time from the towers.

So my operating theory. power off, pull sim. Reboot. turn on wifi. Turn on airplane mode. Turn back on wifi and connect to your network. Go to date time setting, turn off automatically apply date & time and time. Turn them back on. Hopefully the time corrects itself.

This has worked for me twice, but I am too chicken to break it on purpose again. (. I have automatically apply off, and will use clock sync to set it myself)

I now it's been a long three weeks for me so I hope this resolves the problem, or gets somebody closer to their own answer.

GOOD LUCK

Rebelllious

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, I ran into that kind of issue a couple of days ago. In my case it was the upper flex cable that was not sitting firmly in its socket. I bought the phone with that issue and now after I have disassembled it and made the cable sit firmly, everything is fine.

hi bill

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I have fixed my phone using your technique a few times so I decided to figure out what caused it. After much testing and trail and error I have concluded that when the phone is turned off and has under 5% battery the phone does this weird time slip thing. Not sure why, but that is what consistently causes it. I'm using a Droid Razr M

2015CamAUS

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Upper flex cable and its earth is the answer. I swapped a cracked screen last night and the time and selfie camera both failed to work or be changed in the case of the time. So I tried all the reboot, sim card etc options to no avail. Then I read rebellious' suggestion and bingo. The motorola razr hd also needs the upper flex cable to be taped down to the inner metal case. I noticed that it had two metal contacts on the back but failed to retape it down. After checking the cables and retaping the phone came back to life; all features working on the latest upgrade. Good luck