Perplexed on purchasing Moto G LTE with KitKat restricting use of SD card.

modhatter

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am perplexed what to do now. I was looking for an inexpensive phone that would integrate well with my Google contacts, gmail, etc., and decided on the Moto G. The original Moto G comes with 16 GB internal capacity, but is only 3 G. They are now coming out with a Moto G LTE, which I would prefer to have, but it only comes with 8 gb. internal and a SD card - Which you can't write to.

What I want to use the phone for (in addition to phone calls) is navigating - off line. But this calls for downloading large quadrants of the US which are very large files needless to say. I also listen to audio books, which take up some room as well. Then of course there is picture taking. Now I know the photos "are allowed" on the SD card, but I don't think those large off line gps maps can go on the SD now. So If I can't use the SD card for the maps or audio books and only for pictures, it sure loses a lot of function and appeal and I'm wondering if having to forgo the 4G Lte is better and getting the original Moto G with 16 gig. Or just scrapping the whole think and just trying to find another alternative.

I always stayed away from Apple devices because of the restrictiveness. Now it appears Google is following in their foot steps. Any opinions on which way to go here? No, I can't afford a 32 or 64 gig expensive phone.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
How many of these threads are we going to have? It's not that apps CAN'T write to the SD card, they just can't do it in any way they want like they used to. They are restricted to folders that they created, and can't write just ANYTHING to the root of the card. If you're going to put audio books on the SD card then use an app to listen to them, it's certainly possible to do. If you use a maps app that will cache to a folder IT CREATED on the SD card, you can do that too.

I suggest you review the article written by Android Central's Jerry Hildenbrand on exactly this subject. KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

While the capabilities of using an SD card has changed, it hasn't been completely prevented. Developers just need to work within the new guidelines.

This AC article indicates it MAY have a 16 GB version available, it's buried in the spec list at the end. Moto G with LTE and microSD slot officially announced | Android Central

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Note that an 8gig phone will have only about 3-4 gb freespace !!
Because android and bloatware takes up the rest.

Kitkat is not easy.
Definitely many apps need to use more than what they write to the card.
Browsers cant directly save files to the card, you have to move them one by one!!
Its basically a pain in the ***.
I strongly recomend you buy the 16gig.
Much better than bearing this irritation.

modhatter

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I would buy a 16 gig if it were available now. The only 16 gig they have available now is only 3G with no SD card.. The new one coming out this week has 4G LTE on it with 8 gig internal memory and a SD card that will hold up to 32 gig card..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech