Kitkat 4.4.2 Restrictions like iOS..

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I was very excited to hear that Kitkat was coming to my device (an LG G Flex in my case). Why all of a sudden did they add in the heavy restrictions? No SD card write support now unless rooted. No built in Flash support. At least a few good browsers like Dolphin and Puffin take care of this issue. A few of my apps and even the settings menu is randomly displaying a "xxxxxx has suddenly stopped working" popup.

I am also having big issues with the Android Central Forums app. I can no longer see any type of green colored android icon or .jpeg photos in anyone's post. Everything is a grey box now. I am on the latest version of the app. Any suggestions?

IMO,,, Having Kitkat 4.4.2 is like having iOS now minus the Apple logo. :)

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What version of the OS were you on before? Some of those issues may be resolved with a factory reset (back up everything you can first!), and is one of the first things suggested. Before that, maybe try clearing the cache.

I use the AC app on both my Moto X and Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) and don't have issues with it, both devices are on 4.4.2

Jerry Hildenbrand of AC wrote an article explaining the changes to SD cards in KK, it was posted 3 months ago. KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

Is it really all THAT bad that apps can't write will-nilly to the SD card but instead can only write to folders THEY created? It helps to keep the card organized and helps prevent a poorly-coded app from corrupting data that was put there by another app.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I was on JB 4.2.2.. 37000 points in antutu games running flawless. AT&T's 4.4.2 kitkat download killed my G Flex's performance. It activated some sort of power saving mode that couldn't be turned off. My antutu scored dropped to 25000 to a peak of 34000. Still good, but a huge performance hit for the G Flex. In antutu the yellow moving ball scene and end scene lost alot of frame rate on 4.4.2. Oddly, my friends t-mobile S5 is still running the same antutu scores with no loss in performance.

Last edited:

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I did a full reset. It did nothing except wipe out all of my previous data. I exchanged the phone out for one on 4.2.2. Everything is so much better now. I hope i can avoid the 4.4.2 uupdate from att without being forced to root. If anyone knows of a non root way to turn off software updates on a G Flex please let me know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol