I hate the new 4.4.3 dialer - white backgound

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
ARGH! I hate this!

I have EX Dialer installed. Works great. Have the dark theme. Love it.

But if I'm in a call and I have to pull up the keypad to respond to a VRU, then that STUPID white background dial pad comes up. And if you're in a dark room and your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness, that bright light SUCKS.

Last night, I was finishing a flight right around midnight and like I always do, I call Flight Service to close out my flight plan while being towed into the hangar. Hit the dial pad to interact with the FSS VRU and the whole cockpit lit up. WTH!!!

Come on Google! Give me the option to choose light or dark. Don't force me to live with some software engineer or graphic designer's idea for what they think "looks good."

Not happy right now! :mad:

Last edited:

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with you; I hate the new bright white dialer background.
ARGH! I hate this!

But if I'm in a call and I have to pull up the keypad to respond to a VRU, then that STUPID white background dial pad comes up. And if you're in a dark room and your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness, that bright light SUCKS.

Last night, I was finishing a flight right around midnight and like I always do, I call Flight Service to close out my flight plan while being towed into the hangar. Hit the dial pad to interact with the FSS VRU and the whole cockpit lit up. WTH!!!

Come on Google! Give me the option to choose light or dark. Don't force me to live some software engineer or graphic designer's idea for what they think "looks good."

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
ARGH! I hate this!

Come on Google! Give me the option to choose light or dark. Don't force me to live with some software engineer or graphic designer's idea for what they think "looks good."

Agreed, I was surprised to see the new dialer UI, not for the better. They took a pretty much perfect UI and ruined it. What is Google thinking?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What is Google thinking?

Change for the sake of change. I thought 4.4.3 was a bug fix, but it seems time has been wasted messing with things that should have at best, been left as they were - or - if they must change, at least give us an option of background color and contrast. Can we all say "autocratic?"

WinPhone 8.1 is looking better all the time.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Change for the sake of change. I thought 4.4.3 was a bug fix, but it seems time has been wasted messing with things that should have at best, been left as they were - or - if they must change, at least give us an option of background color and contrast. Can we all say "autocratic?"

WinPhone 8.1 is looking better all the time.

Also given my lack of visual voicemail(Nexus 5 on AT&T), I'm beginning to shift mentally towards iPhone or Windows Phone in the fall.

Ualrdynodo

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah this is super ugly/super bright not to mention the contact tiles are harder to follow than a list. Google should include a dark theme option for everything

Posted via Android Central App

Ian Thomson

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Dead right, and my main problems with the dialler are:

1. Dialling pad is thin light blue characters on white background - a contrast ratio of about 2:1 compared with the old white on black probably 1000:1 (maybe some exaggeration there). You try reading that when your eyes are OK without glasses but not brilliant.
2. Tiles in a grid for names instead of a linear list? There is no excuse for that.
3. What purpose do the huge capital letters serve? All they do is waste space. Nobody looks for names by first letter. The human eyes and brain have evolved to be extremely good at pattern recognition especially when scanning in a straight line not jumping all over a scrabble board.
4. I have no idea what the different tile colours mean - someone help me here? That has been a feature of Gmail for a while and is utterly useless, a distraction and waste of space there too.

Mopes off to Play Store to find a new dialler.....

Last edited:

darkhelmetchris

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree. I HATE the new dialer, and it's not just for the colors. Here are my reasons why I think the new dialer is a complete fail:
1. First and foremost, the number pad has gotten smaller, a LOT smaller. It's useless. Has anyone seriously tried to dial a complete 10-digit number quickly? Try it... FAIL. If you get your numbers perfectly correct, you're not dialing fast enough. Dial faster. Before the update, I could dial with one hand. Now? Ya, forget it, I need two hands. Not only do I find it awkward to dial, and I have great motor skills, but can you imagine how a disabled person feels? Ever think of people with cerebral palsy? What about Parkinson's? What about older people with bad eyes? Come on.
2. I totally get WHY the dialpad is smaller, and this is a complete FAIL as well. They made it smaller to allow for the auto-complete area at the top. As you dial, it starts to show you contact records that match. What? Why? What for? If I wanted to dial like that, I would have gone into contacts and picked a record! What good is this? What's that you say? It's because it's handy? Well, let's just try that theory out. I have over 1300 contacts in my list. Even IF I liked this feature, which I clearly do NOT, it doesn't work. I could see it working if I only had 25 contact records. I tried about 10 favorites and NOT ONE came up with the suggestion I wanted until I was on the LAST TWO DIGITS. Seriously? You took away big dialer numbers for this "feature?" It's not a feature. It's not even interesting.
3. There are no button divison lines. Where does one button start and another end? Do I push on the big number? Where is the center? Where is the correct place to quickly press so I can rip through the numbers with the least chance of error? I have no idea? Do you? Does the developer of this dialer skin know where to strike it?
4. The dialer does NOT come up first when you press dial. When I press dial, I expect to get... bingo... a DIALER. Not the frequently called number list. If I wanted a frequent list, I would ask for my favorites, or ask for a frequently called list.. not the dialer.
5. SECURITY FLAW: How do I turn off the frequent list feature? I do NOT want my phone to track this information. It's ONE MORE LOG I have to clear out if I'm going to hand my phone to someone to make a call. You don't do this? I do.. it's a courtesy. I have enough logs to clear out and worry about. Why is this even here? If I wanted a frequent list, I'd make one.
6. Colored tiles. SERIOUSLY? I do NOT have a Windows-based phone for a reason: I don't like tiles. I don't want tiles. If I wanted tiles, I would have bought a Windows phone. What's with all these child-like colors? And why are they different for the SAME letters? If I liked tiles, and I do NOT like them, then it might have at least made sense that all the "A" records were the same color tile. They're not even similar shades.
7. Left out customizations AGAIN. This is open-source, right? It's supposed to be community driven right? I'm alone in all this? What about adding a few SIMPLE checkmarks to the settings to make everyone happy? How about a checkmark to disable the auto-complete and yield big numbers instead? How about a check mark to USE MY OWN SKIN. That's not a security risk, it's not a dialer replacement. How about a checkmark to disable the frequent list for security purposes? How about a check mark to ALWAYS show the dialer first, or a drop list to PICK which part of the dialer I want first - that would be even better. What about a custom color set? These are all SIMPLE interface changes. If "setting" show this page, if not, show that page. It's not like it's going to change the whole codeblock. How about a checkmark for "display dialer button division lines."
8. Saaaay, here's a thought. How about a way to dial a contact record and EXCLUDE parts after an undialable character. Stay with me here, because this one is HUGE for us people that actually call a lot of people in an office. Let's say I want to call Joe, and his number is 416-555-1212 ext 257. So, in my contact record, in the "work phone" entry, I put this: "416-555-1212 ext 257" and when I dial it, guess what.. it dials 4165551212257. WHAT? How about dialing the number and leaving off anything after undialable characters. AND... it would sure be nice if it showed the full "work phone" entry in smaller characters above the dialed number so that when I get the "Hello, thank-you for calling XYZ company, please dial the extension of the person you would like to reach" prompt, that I can actually REMEMBER?...no I would like to SEE the extension that was in the contact record I dialed in the first place.

Honestly, do the developers think any of this through? Now, if all you read was RANT RANT RANT, well that's a shame. The dialer keeps getting less and less useful and more and more “eye candy.” The one thing a phone has to do is DIAL A NUMBER with some level of reliability. I believe that all this feedback is actually useful information for good reasons. What I got when I updated to Android 4.4.4 was ... a much LESS useful dialer than ever before, and I was pretty annoyed. So sure, some of it is a rant. But at least I've taken time to think things out and give you some real reasons and feedback. Maybe more people will read this and say hey, Google, this makes sense to me too. Maybe. I hope so. What ever happened to creating an intuitive interface with user testing and feedback foremost in the design, and then consider things like “pretty” and “fancy” and “coooool” and not sacrifice USABILITY.

And, on a side note... I searched .. and searched.. and searched for SOMEPLACE to try to provide this feedback to the team responsible for the dialer, and guess what? I came up zilch. Can't find it. All I could find was "this forum is not for.." and "don't post this stuff here" and .. basically we don't care to hear from you. So, I posted here in desperation. Hey, if someone knows where to post this stuff, feel free to write me back, I would love to know.

Le sigh,
Chris

ManAro2

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I always miss the feature I had in android 2.1 HTC wildlife. It used to summarize history of each number all together. I would know how many times I have dialed or received call on that number. Please fix this in 4.4. Its really helpful and gives a feel of using a smart phone.

CanuckBB

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
8. Saaaay, here's a thought. How about a way to dial a contact record and EXCLUDE parts after an undialable character. Stay with me here, because this one is HUGE for us people that actually call a lot of people in an office. Let's say I want to call Joe, and his number is 416-555-1212 ext 257. So, in my contact record, in the "work phone" entry, I put this: "416-555-1212 ext 257" and when I dial it, guess what.. it dials 4165551212257. WHAT? How about dialing the number and leaving off anything after undialable characters. AND... it would sure be nice if it showed the full "work phone" entry in smaller characters above the dialed number so that when I get the "Hello, thank-you for calling XYZ company, please dial the extension of the person you would like to reach" prompt, that I can actually REMEMBER?...no I would like to SEE the extension that was in the contact record I dialed in the first place.

I'll do you one better. *shudder* Blackberry *shudder* was smart enough to actually parse numbers. if the number included 'ext' or 'x', it dialed everything on the left, paused and then dialed everything on the right. So in your example it would dial 4165551212, pause a few seconds, give the IVR time to answer, and then dialed 257.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance