How do I clear Gallery/Picasa/G+Photos cache?

Double44

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently reinstalled my Nexus 7 and after setting it up, the automatic syncing to my Google account began and i was unable to stop the Picasa photos from syncing to the tablet. I don't want these photos on it because they interfere with what i see in the Gallery app. I would also like to free up some space. How do i remove them? I've already turned off the sync, but this does not remove the photos.

chris7021

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
login to your google account in a pc. check your google+ gallery in there. google+ photos=picassa album
and yeah thats really annoying. i done the same to my account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On your phone, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and make sure both Google Photos and Google+ Photos are unchecked. Google Photos syncs with the stock Gallery app, and Google+ Photos syncs with Photos. (On some phones, Google Photos might be called Picasa.)

Then, go to Settings>Apps>All, and select Gallery, then Clear Cache and Clear Data. Also select Google+ (of which Photos is a part) and Clear Cache and Data there as well. When you open either of those gallery apps again, they should repopulate with only the local photos on your device.

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The above mentioned steps are enough to switch off the Picassa web pictures from loading automatically. But as you are saying that you have already switched off the synchronization, Then I will recommend you to install an app to delete the cache files present in your system.
Based on personal experience, I will recommend you to go for Clean Master that is available in Google play for Free. You have to just download the app. It will automatically detect the unused files and can easily download them all as per your requirement. The latest update of it is featured with multiple features that will allow more usability to you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think clearing the cache and data of Gallery and Google+, as mentioned above, is enough to do that. CleanMaster probably isn't needed, but I haven't tried this yet myself.

Double44

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy, clearing the cache and data of Gallery and Google+ worked perfectly. Thank you very much. I'm bookmarking this page for later just incase i forget how this clear this stuff :]

JuanDr0id

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have cleared gallery and google+ apps but the space being occupied buy the google photo cache folder is the same it appears this cache is not counted in any app in my nexus 4 and it looks that they are the image previews of all your cloud photos this is just a supposition, mine is 200 MB and even if I clear it with clean master it repopulates itself maybe disable syncing is the only option to recover that space or just be fine with it.

IMLizKing

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Today I took a stab and this and after googling to find this page I didn't have success with disabling sync and clearing the cache..

What I needed to do (besides disabling sync to this doesn't happen again), is hook it up to my PC and delete the google pictures cache under \Pictures\com.google.<whatever it was>. Easy peasy and I got about 1GB back (lots of pictures).