Standby battery life .. Droid .vs. iOS

jglazer63

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok I had to do it. I had to go get an iOS device (in this case the cheapest iPad mini i could find) to do some testing with. I have been a Droid fan forever and continue to be one but I had a helluva surprise with this iPad....

I fully charged the iPad and my Asus T700 (droid) did a little testing on both, both having what appeared to be a full battery, then I set them down on the table for 24 hours in "standby" mode. When I came back the Asus was at about 38% battery, the iPad mini was at .. 98%. In fact, the mini didn't appear to drain even a little. Neither was off. The next day I checked and the Asus was fully drained and the iPad mini was at ... 98% still. I left it for a couple more days and checked the iPad and it was at ... 96%. What gives?

They both have wifi turned on. Neither have cellular service and neither has bluetooth on. Both were set down, pretty much, at boot. All I was testing was Chrome (installed on both).

How can the iPad so outshine droid in battery life like this? What am I missing? How can I redeem myself to my fiance who is an Apple nut?

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!!

arav24

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
IOS has always been more power efficient in standby mode. Don't really know why though

Posted via Android Central App

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thats how ios works i guess.
It doesnt allow apps to run in the background. It only allows it to go to background so that it can resume back later.
Also, Apple makes the batteries.
I wont lie though, my Asus running win8.1 lasts really long too. So android is quite bad in that department.

But more importantly dont forget the rookie programmers who write **** apps are so high in android

jglazer63

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok its been 5 more days. Ipad Mini still says about 95% battery. How can I emulate this on my droid? I don't want to power it off because when I need it, i need it now ... not 5 minutes later (after boot).

Any ideas?

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
If you've got root DU battery saver has a lower CPU frequency option which makes my battery last a ton longer, although it does make it a lot slower until you disable the setting for it. Although it also has some neat non root options such as automatically clearly background apps e every 5-10-15-20-25-30 minutes which might help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Ios generally doesn't keep as many background processes running while In standby mode. Android on the other hand keeps more processes running in the background during standby, thus it will use more battery power to keep all of those services running.

Posted via Android Central App