Ethics of Rooting

macaranaman

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Our school is assigning us Nexus 7s for the school year. As it isn't my tablet, should I root it and unlock the bootloader with towelroot + BootUnlocker then unroot, just so after 4 years when I get the tablet I don't have to clear all data?
Android L doesn't have the towelroot vulnerability, so I'd have to take action before android I update happens.
Should I?

Devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, iPod Touch.

macaranaman

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok so the tablets are technically ours, we get them once we get out of school to do whatever with and I don't want to unlock the bootloader then and lose 4 years of use, and towelroot doesn't work with android l so I would do it now with 4.4 just to unlock the bootloader then unroot so I wouldn't have to later and lose all my stuff.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ah, okay that makes more sense. If they have any proprietary software I'd be wary of it, but people who rent to own homes are allowed to paint them (I think), so this feels similar to me? I think I could argue either side, but ultimately if there is no expectation to return it, then I can't see why they would care other than unwanted software and/or access to their own, if that's an issue.

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Our school is assigning us Nexus 7s for the school year. As it isn't my tablet, should I root it and unlock the bootloader with towelroot + BootUnlocker then unroot, just so after 4 years when I get the tablet I don't have to clear all data?
Android L doesn't have the towelroot vulnerability, so I'd have to take action before android I update happens.
Should I?

Off topic, but what level of school and where is this school that you attend? I'm just curious because the fact that they are giving you a nexus 7 is amazing. Wi-Fi only I'm assuming?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
WiFi only, and its private school (somewhat) and a Montessori school. And its for high school.

My cousin gets an iPad every year and has been told specifically not to jailbreak it. I'd imagine it would be the same for most schools. You can ask, but unless they check periodically, you can always unroot the device before returning it.

What do you need root for?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

macaranaman

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I will get the tablet after school ends to do whatever I want with, and I would like to have root.

So if I unlock the bootloader now then I won't have to erase everything.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I will get the tablet after school ends to do whatever I want with, and I would like to have root.

Really? That's pretty cool. Most that I have seen have to return it (but they aren't private schools). In that case I'd probably go ahead and root anyway. There shouldn't be any apps that don't work with a rooted device.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Is it the 2013 version? if i where you i would Root it and install liquidsmooth or slimkat And TWRP and enjoy the "Free" nexus 7
BTW how many GB is it on? 32 16 8? :D

macaranaman

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Well yeah, I mean that's why I wouldn't install very many root tweaks.

But no one has answered my question. Should I unlock my bootloader now when I still need the nexus for school so I don't have to when it's mine and I have 4 years of data saved on it?

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I suggest leaving it. In 4 years, download Helium, save all app data to the cloud, unlock the bootloader and restore the app data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci