Use cellular data while connected to wifi?

tys

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm new to Android, coming from iOS.
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 with 4.4.4
I've looked for an answer to this without success.
I don't have Internet access at home, but I have a local wifi network I use for streaming media and sharing between devices.
I need to be able to use LTE for data while being connected to my local network.
(As an example: I sometimes stream pandora radio from my phone to my stereo)
This works in iOS 8,but on my new Sony it doesn't. Once I log into my wifi, it seems to "forget" that I have cellular internet access and just tells me I'm not connected.
Is there a (relatively painless) way to get this to work?
Thanks!
Ryan

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you long-press on the WiFi button you should be able to access Advanced WiFi options. In there, try activating the Auto Network Switch option. Now, I'm not sure if this will effectively disconnect you from WiFi if it detects there's no valid data connection, but it's worth a shot.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't think that's the option I meant... I don't own an Xperia but the options should be similar, if not the exact wording. It should read something like auto network switching or automatic handover or something like that.

tys

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again!
No settings for network switching or handover that I can see. I've tried pretty much every wifi setting configuration, but nothing gets it to work the way I want it to. If I'm connected to any wifi network, I can't access cellular data.

Fr0b0zz

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm also interested in doing this in Android. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and Connect. My data comes from my data plan, the wifi network is local only for connecting devices.

I want to use 4g-lte while on my chromcast local network.

Thanks

Murad Hattar

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm also interested in doing this in Android. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and Connect. My data comes from my data plan, the wifi network is local only for connecting devices.

I want to use 4g-lte while on my chromcast local network.

Thanks

I stumbled upon this and Smart Network Switch seems to work . I am using Wifi only to cast my phone onto my TV locally and unlimited data through my cell plan. The trick is to turn on smart network switch AFTER connecting your phone to wifi and then to your TV

wheelie tips

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
sorry to bring up this but I have the same problem and still can't connect to my mobile data while connected to a wifi network without internet connection... anyone has a solution for that?

GerMitch

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, still nothing? There's got to be a way to force this to happen somehow.. Smart Network Switch sounded promising, but all that does is automatically disable the wifi connection when it sees that it has no internet through it. What genius decided they have to be mutually exclusive? There are so many security reasons that was a dumb idea...

wheelie tips

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
Ugh, still nothing? There's got to be a way to force this to happen somehow.. Smart Network Switch sounded promising, but all that does is automatically disable the wifi connection when it sees that it has no internet through it. What genius decided they have to be mutually exclusive? There are so many security reasons that was a dumb idea...

couple of years went by and the question still remains... is there any solution for this yet? does the new S10 is "smart" enough to find the existing internet connection?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835