That micro-SD issue - again!

Geoff_W

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
First off, I'm a Limey living in the UK so my comments refer to UK products (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 SM600 2014 Edition, and a Tesco Hudl2 8.3 Tablet). Both devices run Android 4.4.2.

I've read a lot of the stuff regarding Android 4.4 and its interaction with micro-SD cards, but I hadn't fully appreciated all the consequences. I understand the issue with apps and accept that I can no longer move them to the micro-SD card - this is not a problem for me as I don't use large numbers of apps. But I hadn't realised I would be unable to store my own data on the card without a lot of faffing about.

I bought the Hudl2 last week with the intention of taking it on holiday to Australia over Christmas and so I want to store pictures, music and various documents and maps pertinent to my itinerary. I put a 32Gb card (which I had been using in the Samsung) into the Hudl2 and it worked properly straight away. I was able to download apps and move them to the card. A folder of pictures already on the card, plus some mp3 files were all accessible and playable. For various reasons I had to reset the tablet to its factory settings, and since then I have been unable to copy new stuff to the card. I can create folders using File Manager HD but when I connect the tablet to my PC via USB cable, I can't copy anything over; I get an error message saying the card is full. I am able to get my iTunes music files onto the card by using iSyncr but it's really annoying not to be able to easily copy anything I want. The workaround seems to be to remove the card, put it in an adapter and plug it straight into my computer. Using this long-winded method I am able to copy stuff onto the card and the data is subsequently readable by the apps on the tablet.

This ridiculous situation is totally unacceptable. I want to know what right Google has to make it so difficult for me to freely use a storage medium that I own, and put my own data onto it to use on an Android device which I also own! It's not like they've secured the card and totally locked any access to it - I can still write stuff to it, just not when it's in an Android device.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Have you tried formatting the card in the device? Before you try that pull all the files off, and move the apps off the card.

Geoff_W

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
No, not tried that - the only options available in Settings > Storage are to Unmount Shared Storage or Erase USB Storage. There is no Format option.

Geoff_W

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Update:

Apparently, Erase USB Storage is the Format command, so I did that and I can now drag & drop files/folders from the PC's File Manager to the micro-SD card. Many thanks Golfdriver97 for your help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Apparently, Erase USB Storage is the Format command, so I did that and I can now drag & drop files/folders from the PC's File Manager to the micro-SD card. Many thanks Golfdriver97 for your help.
No sweat. Glad it helped. See you around the forums.

Sent from an AOSP M8

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
This ridiculous situation is totally unacceptable. I want to know what right Google has to make it so difficult for me to freely use a storage medium that I own, and put my own data onto it to use on an Android device which I also own! It's not like they've secured the card and totally locked any access to it - I can still write stuff to it, just not when it's in an Android device.

This change was done for security reasons. If you understood how Linux works (Android is Linux) you would more clearly see the reason for the changes..

Check this link for more details KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith