A Virgin Mobile user, I just switched last Friday Oct 31st from the LG Optimus F3 (Android 4.1) to LG Tribute (4.4.2). In doing so, I forgot about the microSD card support issue.

Yes, I'm sure there are other posts about this, and I have done some searching. Lately, though, I work a lot and don't have a lot of time for deep researching. I thought I could receive some help.

I don't do hard-core media consumption on a microSD card (as in gigabytes of video files etc, and I'm old fashioned in that I use a stand-alone MP3 player), but I do use AutoSync for Google Drive (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rivesync&hl=en) for uploading favorite resized JPEGs which I can then easily view without having to be connected to any networks; I will "flag" them on the PC, which then causes them to be uploaded to Google Drive, at which time this app, when it syncs, will download the new photos onto the phone. When it's done so, it's done so to a designated spot on the microSD card.

Needless to say, that ability has been broken. I could have them download to internal memory (they're only about 200 megabytes total so it wouldn't be a HUGE job), but I really like those sorts of things living on the microSD. For one, when you switch phones, they go with you without you having to resync EVERYTHING from point zero. For another, if you have to do a factory reset of the phone, again, you don't have to resync everything.

The other thing is I was using ES File Explorer a lot for file management tasks. I am able to create a folder on the microSD slot, but I can't put anything there, I can't even move files from one spot on the microSD to another. The phone does come with a "stock" file manager that can do all of those things, I just prefer using ES File Explorer.

According to this article (http://www.thebitbag.com/how-to-fix-...-devices/99369), you need to "root" your phone and then either (a) ES File Explorer has an option under settings for fixing its issue and/or (b) you can download an app called "KitKat SD Card Patch." Am I correct on this? Also, I cannot find anywhere that shows the LG Tribute as being "root-able" as it were. (It was just announced October 5th, so I suppose it hasn't been out long enough.) I assume, too, that "rooting" is all I would need to do (once the phone is supported for root?) that I would not have to install a custom ROM or the like?

Any other tips? (I did read the AndroidCentral article {link}. Also, this other article {http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...nal-SD-write-/} suggest a way you can do so without rooting, in terms of other file mangers that can write as-is, which I haven't tried yet.)
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-03-2014 02:20 PM
    Note to self--never,never, never, and I mean NEVER start a post in these forums again. Will you ever learn? You might as well yell your question out the window for all the good it does to post.
    11-05-2014 03:27 PM
    I'm experiencing the same problem and I don't know what to do. I've been searching for hours what to do. I want to use the external microSD as the main storage but I can't do it. There's not so much space available in the internal card and I want to install games and other apks but I can't.
    11-09-2014 09:43 PM
    Note to self--never,never, never, and I mean NEVER start a post in these forums again. Will you ever learn? You might as well yell your question out the window for all the good it does to post.
    Sorry for the late reply. Rooting is needed for what you need to do. As for a rooting method for your device, you are correct that the people who devise root methods do need to figure out how to attain root access.

As for the lack of response to your question, I apologize, but there are instances where the people who see your post, may not know the answer. And as busy as this forum is, a question can get lost in the shuffle quite easily, depending on the time of day posted.

Sent from an AOSP M8
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-10-2014 12:01 AM
    I'm experiencing the same problem and I don't know what to do. I've been searching for hours what to do. I want to use the external microSD as the main storage but I can't do it. There's not so much space available in the internal card and I want to install games and other apks but I can't.
    That would be a root dependant feature. One that I would advise against, as cards can often fail without notice.

Sent from an AOSP M8
    11-10-2014 12:01 AM
    Okay so I only create this account to reply, the only way to move pictures, videos and songs is to use the stock file manager that comes with the phone, I have been able to move media to my sd card manually, there is no way to do it automatically right now (since there is no root for the tribute). If you want to move apps you have to wait for a root or to see if lollipop allows this (if it ever gets update).
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-10-2014 01:32 PM
    That would be a root dependant feature. One that I would advise against, as cards can often fail without notice.

Sent from an AOSP M8
    I see. Thank you!
    11-10-2014 05:14 PM
    Root is not guarantee... kitkat stop write to sdcard...therefore all user apps go to internal storage...I am root tried different apps and scripts no go...flash back to jb .
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-15-2014 10:27 PM
    Okay so I only create this account to reply, the only way to move pictures, videos and songs is to use the stock file manager that comes with the phone, I have been able to move media to my sd card manually, there is no way to do it automatically right now (since there is no root for the tribute). If you want to move apps you have to wait for a root or to see if lollipop allows this (if it ever gets update).
    Would you mind sharing how you manually moved media to the sd card?
    01-12-2015 05:46 PM
    Would you mind sharing how you manually moved media to the sd card?
    Bob,

Go to your file manager and go to the file that you want to move. Instead of tapping on the file as if to open it, you will hold your finger down for about 2-3 seconds and a menu will pop up. Choose "move" and then it will ask you where to move it; you can choose your sd card from there.

Hope this helps.
    01-14-2015 10:08 AM
    Bob,

Go to your file manager and go to the file that you want to move. Instead of tapping on the file as if to open it, you will hold your finger down for about 2-3 seconds and a menu will pop up. Choose "move" and then it will ask you where to move it; you can choose your sd card from there.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. It did not work for me. I tried it 2 ways. First to the sd card. Secondly to a new folder I created on the sd card. The file I tried to move was a jpg. Have you had success moving jpg files?
    01-14-2015 12:05 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. It did not work for me. I tried it 2 ways. First to the sd card. Secondly to a new folder I created on the sd card. The file I tried to move was a jpg. Have you had success moving jpg files?
    im using tribute and when you use the file manager that cam installed on the device what i do is longpress on my DCIM folder until options come up copy top left click arrow pointing to all files select that, then select external sd and once your there a clipboard icon should be on top rite press and there ya go if you try to download something and theres not enough room the device will inform you and not allow dwnld unlike the f3 which just stopped and your thinking youve got it hope this makes since
    02-17-2015 05:40 PM
    My issue was similar. I wanted to copy photos and music from my PC to the sd card on the phone. I found that it could be done by connecting the phone to a USB port on my PC.
    02-17-2015 06:08 PM