Can I get some help with an Insufficient storage problem?

rambohenke

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Android masters look this way, please. Insufficient storage.

Soooo...

I have a Cat B15Q, wich has low internal memory.
And have problem installing apps, or more specifically I can't install a new app's. I have 3 friends who have the exact same problem(same phone).
I've tried to remove every app that i have installed on my phone, to make room for a small app(3Mb).
And it wouldn't work, but every app that's been uninstalled could be installed again.

A factory reset fixes the problem for a while. Tired of reinstalling since I loose all changes.

inb4 "look at this general how-to fix insuficient storage guide".
I've tried them all, well at least those who actullay relate.

I'm pretty sure there is a garbage(install-cache) collector not working.
But I have no idea as how to try this out.

If no one here can help, where do i turn for help?
Cat support takes about 1-2 months to reply to inqueries.
Since i expect it's a problem specific to this phone modell.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android masters look this way, please. Insufficient storage.

Not sure what you have tried. Try to clear cache in the bootloader. Also try a factory data reset, and install that app first.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I had to search the specs again. Can you show a screenshot of the storage stats, please? What I found was the device had 4 GB of storage, but that won't leave much as stock Android is about 3.5 GB.

From an AOSP M8

rambohenke

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

Not sure what you have tried. Try to clear cache in the bootloader. Also try a factory data reset, and install that app first.

Oh, didn't make that part clear enough.

The problem isn't with a specific app, so I can install every app i want, untill a certain point where the device in spite of far enough storage left won't install.
But afer some time/usage it gets "full" despite all apps I've tried reporting free space left.

To fix this I have tried to:
Clear cache(via bootloader, app-data and -cache and a handfull of cache cleaner apps),
Remove space consuming apps,
Deleted what i was told was cachefiles with a root browser
Downgraded google-play-apps(worked once, for a limited time)
Tried to move apps to SD-card(couldn't because it's mounted as external storage....).

<edited by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

That is part of the problem: limited on device storage. Sooner or later device cache, app cache and such builds up, that's why the reset works, but there is such a low free memory, that alone is limiting you on the installation of apps.

From an AOSP M8

Last edited:

rambohenke

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

It surely is.
That and that my 16Gb SDcard cant be used to store anything on(except moving files with a file handler, not that it helps to move some pictures).

I imagine that someone else whould have the same problem(except me and my 2 other friends(oh yeah typo above)).
But I can't find anything like this, and I'm too unfamilliar with how android works to be able and debug it thoroughly.

IIRC this time I had about 250Mb storage space left on the internal storage, trying to install a 3Mb app when the problem appeared,
after that there is only factory reset to get rid of the problem(momentairly).

I stand stranded with, few pepole with the same phone and even fewer who are somewhat tecnical, a manufacturer that has kinda bad feedback(factory reset seems to be standard operations), and no idea what is applicable from the forums onto my phone.

But I guess it would be possible to clear all caches manually(eventually develop an app for it) if they where known and/or could be found by the phone.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

It wasn't until you said something about having 250 Mb left that I also remember any OS likes having some space in reserve.

From an AOSP M8

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I have seen this in devices with small storage capacities. Really you should be getting 8gb internal at a minimum. If you are very tight on money, 4gb is about the absolute lowest that I would go, for someone who doesn't use the phone very much.

There is an app called "app cache cleaner" that can clear the cache for all apps. But unfortunately, you have to keep cleaning app cache and cache in the bootloader

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon