I accidentally told my phone to change the OS, how can I stop this?

NeeRDF

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Accidentally told phone to change OS. PLEASE help

Have Samsung S4 running an unwanted OS (update?) change. Can I stop this?? I hope someone can tell me how to not let it follow thru with this. Somehow as I was changing case I started this and accepted the change.
Right now it is stuck on green android logo screen and says downloading do not turn off target.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stop OS change...Help please!!

Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying that you accepted a system update? What version is it on now? You can tell by going to Settings>About Phone>Android Version.

On most devices, you can't refuse system updates forever--at some point, it will require you to accept the update. The only way to avoid that is to root the phone and disable the system updater, which can vary by device.

NeeRDF

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

I was changing the case and somehow hit a button that pulled up OS update. The screen cover was on backwards and I somehow hit the volume up to accept the change. It is in Odin mode...whatever that means. Thanks for any advice. I am not tech savvy. I had 4.4.2 , I have no idea what it is doing on this OS update

NeeRDF

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Thank you so much! Just found out it was safe to just turn it off and restart. Was so scared I had lost everything or even bricked my phone. Whew.
I really do appreciate u trying to help!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It wasn't updating, it was just in Odin mode. The warning to not turn the phone off means "once it starts downloading something". If the phone isn't downloading (in Odin mode, that means connected to a computer), it's always safe to hold the power button until the phone restarts.

BTW, you pressed Home, Volume Down and Power at the same time - that's what got it into Odin mode. (Same thing with Volume Up gets it into recovery mode, in case you ever need that.)