Why do I have oversized System Data on Huawei P6 after updating to KitKat?

A

AC Question

Oversized "System Data" on Huawei P6 after updating to KitKat

My friend helped me to update from 4.2 to 4.4 using the exact same ROM flash process he used on his P6 with the same international firmware.
I am aware that the internal storage is 8GB, and that it is split in half, one half for Android OS and the other 4GB is for your own use. I will only be referring to the latter 4GB. I also have a 16GB SD card but it's not of much releveance other than almost all my media and apps being transferred to it.

After being updated to 4.4, I soon noticed I kept running out of space despite everything possible being on my SD.
Using the DiskUsage app, I discovered that almost 3GB of my internal 4GB storage is taken up by "System Data". I confirmed this as being unusual by comparing with friends' phones (also P6, both 4.2 and 4.4)

My phone is not rooted, and we used international firmware with a tweak to allow Google Apps to work correctly

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Oversized "System Data" on Huawei P6 after updating to KitKat

My friend helped me to update from 4.2 to 4.4 using the exact same ROM flash process he used on his P6 with the same international firmware.
I am aware that the internal storage is 8GB, and that it is split in half, one half for Android OS and the other 4GB is for your own use. I will only be referring to the latter 4GB. I also have a 16GB SD card but it's not of much releveance other than almost all my media and apps being transferred to it.

After being updated to 4.4, I soon noticed I kept running out of space despite everything possible being on my SD.
Using the DiskUsage app, I discovered that almost 3GB of my internal 4GB storage is taken up by "System Data". I confirmed this as being unusual by comparing with friends' phones (also P6, both 4.2 and 4.4)

My phone is not rooted, and we used international firmware with a tweak to allow Google Apps to work correctly

Could be that you need to do a factor reset to get the OS back in order? Could be the phone didn't partition correctly when it installed the ROM.

gorrox23

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi this is OP.

Can you please explain this process?

My internal storage is now 100% full :/

Jonathan Wright2

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Hi, this is said friend with P6. It is true as he says, except it is not 'international', but 'chinese' firmware, hence the 'tweaked' (flashed) google apps that work. I gathered as much that a partition created itself, but I have no idea why it did so. My P6 did not, and functions fine. How would one get rid of the partition?

gorrox23

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Factory reset did the trick.
Though I still have no idea what all that "System data" was o_O

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Factory reset did the trick.
Though I still have no idea what all that "System data" was o_O
Garbage that the system stored "temporarily" while it was setting up (and didn't remove).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon