How to stop Android OS from turning on/using data?

Mbeem

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I bought a new phone 3 days ago. I have WiFi at home and at work so I have a very small data plan (basically just enough to allow me to send and receive some MMS messages). When I bought the phone the first thing I did was go in and restrict background data for all the apps that would normally use it.

Earlier today I was showing my friend how to restrict background data and set a data limit on her phone. When I opened data in settings I was surprised to see that according to the tracker I had used 6 MB of data, despite the fact that I had not once turned on data or sent/received an MMS since I bought the phone. When I got home later I looked again to try and figure out what was going on and it was up to 8 MB. Below the graph it says that Android OS has used all 8 MB of the data, there are no other apps listed.

Is there any way I can stop 'Android OS' from turning on my data? (which is what I assume it is doing since I have not once turned the data on myself nor have I sent or received an MMS with my phone). This is a very annoying problem as I only have a small data plan for the odd MMS, and somehow Android OS is turning on and using data all by itself. Just while I was typing this out it used another MB without me turning on my data. I need to stop this somehow or it is going to end up costing me money when I go over. Even if it only uses 3 MB a day (which seems like a small amount) this will put me at around 90 MB a month, which is more than my data plan is. I never noticed or cared about this before because my phone was provided/paid for by my work but now I have a new job and it's my own money. Please help. Thank-you in advance.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I'm not sure why it would be using data. I once had the same issue, only with 200MB, instead of 6. I just completely turned off mobile data that month and the issue went away the next month. Another possible solution is to try Juice Defender (it turns off mobile data when you're not using your phone, and back on when you are).
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....latedroid.juicedefender&hl=en&token=7lu5saKA

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the phone may report all data whether from WiFi or from your service data plan. On Verizon, I have to open up the app or go to the website to see the usage recorded by the company.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

Mbeem

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Thank-you both for the replies. I did try 'Juice Defender' but Android OS was still able to use up data somehow. I still have not turned on data, checked the box to turn on data or use MMS yet Android OS used another MB of data.

So now I have downloaded an app called AFWall. This app allows me to choose which apps use data and which don't. I have kept the restriction on background data on, and now I have only allowed my messaging app to use data through AFWall. This should allow me to send and receive MMS messages but stop all the other apps and systems from using data. I really hope this works, because while I really love my android phone I will have to trade it in for something else if this keeps up, as I will go over my data and end up paying extra money on my bill, which I cannot afford to do.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank-you both for the replies. I did try 'Juice Defender' but Android OS was still able to use up data somehow. I still have not turned on data, checked the box to turn on data or use MMS yet Android OS used another MB of data.

So now I have downloaded an app called AFWall. This app allows me to choose which apps use data and which don't. I have kept the restriction on background data on, and now I have only allowed my messaging app to use data through AFWall. This should allow me to send and receive MMS messages but stop all the other apps and systems from using data. I really hope this works, because while I really love my android phone I will have to trade it in for something else if this keeps up, as I will go over my data and end up paying extra money on my bill, which I cannot afford to do.
Great! Let us know if that fixes it for you :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34