Copying files - File manager can't write to SD Card, how can I get this to work?

DLM44

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Copying files - File manager can't write to SD Card

Hello

OK I know that for some of you this is probably a tired old subject, however for me this is new since my Samsung S3 only upgraded to 4.4.4 a few days ago.

To cut a long story short, I've read about the security reasons for this 'feature', I've been through the incandescent rage phase, and finished throwing knives at effigies of the f***tards at Google who have decided what I'm 'allowed' to do with my phone. I've now calmed down and just want a pragmatic solution to the following simple question...

HOW DO I COPY MP3 FILES TO MY PHONE???

I've read earlier threads on this and other forums and tried to take on board the advice, the thrust of which seems to be...

1. Root your phone and ES file explorer, Astra etc. should work OK. To this end I've attempted to use Towelroot and Framaroot, both of which apps told me that they were not compatible with my phone.

2. Create a folder owned by ES or another file manager such as /Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop and copy music files into that folder. That would actually work for me if I knew how to create a folder on the SD storage media. The only method I know is using file managers such as ES etc. which of course generates the same error with file permissions which started this issue.

I'm going around in circles, please help me someone!

David

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Copying files - File manager can't write to SD Card

Another reason we don't like to update our OS. Is your SD Card external? I have been able to create folders using the stock file manager on the external SD Card and internal memory on my tablet. If you use ES, navigate to the external SD card and hit the big plus sign on the bottom to create a folder. Can you try that?

DLM44

May 2, 2015
Visit site

Yes the SD card is external.

ES file explorer can create sub-folders in *some* folders on the SD card (e.g. within the extSDcard/Music folder where my MP3s are stored) but can't copy and files into those newly created folders. ES cannot however create a folder in extSDcard/Android so I can't create a folder such as /extSDcard/Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop which was one of the workarounds I'd read about.

If by the stock file manager you mean Polaris (which I'd only ever considered as a pdf/spreadsheet viewer until now) I can't even create folders with that.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

The stock file manager that came with my tablet has a icon that looks like a yellow folder.

DLM44

May 2, 2015
Visit site

The stock file manager that came with my tablet has a icon that looks like a yellow folder.

Thanks, found it. I'd never noticed that icon before. Using it I have now successfully created a folder called /extSDcard/Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop and copied my music library into that folder using ES.

So problem solved, thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

/extSDcard/Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop
Just curious. Why not /extSDcard/Music/com.estrongs.android.pop or /extSDcard/Music/pop? Folders you create should be named to be easy for you to find. Apps can use folders nested 10 deep, but you have to remember where you put that file.

DLM44

May 2, 2015
Visit site

Why not /extSDcard/Music/pop?

I believe the way this permissions thing works is that the folder name has to match ES File Explorer's package name i.e. com.estrongs.android.pop otherwise ES wouldn't be allowed to write to it.

Why not /extSDcard/Music/com.estrongs.android.pop?

I could have done, however my naming at least keeps all the package name specific folders on the SD card in the same place, for all apps they are all in /extSDcard/Android/data