How to get rid of Google Voice Search?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
How to get rid of "Google Voice Search"

My phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, Android 4.4) has started to ask me to unlock it in order to use "Google Voice Search" (whatever that is) occasionally when I press the headphone button to restart an audio book or music.

Why did it start doing that?

What is Google Voice Search?

Whatever Google Voice Search is, how could it possibly be useful when it needs me to unlock the phone by which point I wouldn't need voice control any more?

How do I disable/get rid of it?

I just want my phone to stop and start music/audio books or answer or hang up the line when I press the button. I don't want it to do complicated things and then ask me to do other things so I can interact with those things.

Any ideas?

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to get rid of "Google Voice Search"

Voice Search is just what it sounds like...it allows you to search the internet using voice commands instead of typing. You can also run apps, make phone calls, search for contacts and lots of other things hands-free.

But if you don't want to use it, open the Google App, go into settings, then Voice, then "OK Google" detection and turn everything off.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

Voice Search is just what it sounds like...it allows you to search the internet using voice commands instead of typing. You can also run apps, make phone calls, search for contacts and lots of other things hands-free.

But if you don't want to use it, open the Google App, go into settings, then Voice, then "OK Google" detection and turn everything off.

Hi,

I had tried that and it didn't work. I ultimately disabled "Google App" and since then it has been quiet (and the Chrome Web browser also shows the home icon again on the left instead of the microphone icon on the right which was also annoying).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The alternative is this.

In Settings > Language & Input > Voice search (speech section) > "OK Google" Detection and turn off the sliders to modify to your liking. I think the big one for you would be in the Hands-Free section actually, slide both of those to "Off".

I'm basing the paths on my Moto X which is a decidedly more "pure" Android experience than your Samsung device so the path may differ.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon