mdnsd killing my battery

JDeckerVa

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Have a Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T520 running Android 4.4.2. In the last several weeks I've noticed dramatically reduced battery life. A process labeled mdnsd is running at a higher % usage than my screen. The screen has always been the top battery drain up until now. I did some research to a variety of forums and came up with some info, but no solution for my issue.
- some blame the SD card. I've removed the SD card and powered down, recharged, and restarted. Process doesn't come back immediately, but within 24 hrs, it's back.
- some blame a rogue version of Firefox. I've never installed Firefox
- some blame an app that controls drones. No drones in my household
- some blame game apps, but no specifics. I've had games from time to time, but nothing recent to explain the change in battery behavior

What is consistent is that when I power down, recharge to 100% and then restart, the mdnsd process is gone, but comes back in 24 to 48 hrs. Once it shows up, it soon becomes the top battery drain.

Anyone here have a clue as to what it is, can I get rid of it permanently, or if not, can I control it in some manner so it's not such a resource hog?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

JD

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What I've been able to find so far is that mdnsd probably represents Multicast DNS Daemon. Here's an old blog article that discusses it, but I'm still not sure what part of the system might be causing it to use so much battery: https://rgladwell.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/gotchas-android-and-multicast-dns/

Unfortunately, it might come down to uninstalling apps one by one until the problem goes away. You could also confirm that it's a 3rd party app that's causing the process to use so much battery by booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the problem persists.

JDeckerVa

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with safe mode in a PC environment and assume it's similar in Android. Good troubleshooting technique that I didn't know existed in Android. Is the boot sequence specific to my tablet or the OS itself?

JD

henryw48

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
@JDeckerVA: Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting you've done. I also have the problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon. I've done some trouble shooting but have yet to come up with a solution or an explanation of the problem. See: http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...ox-draining-my-battery-samsung-galaxy-s3.html originally posted by another Samsung Galaxy S3 owner. My only conclusion so far is that mdnsd is a system daemon responsible for the Apple Bonjour zero-configuration protocol for discovering local networked devices such as printers, etc. It uses Internet UDP port 5353 to propagate and receive information. As time goes on, the number of sockets for UDP 5353 keep on going up, each with over a thousand to 100 thousand bytes in the recv-Q. On my device, when the number of sockets between UDP and UDP6 gets to almost 600, the mdnsd process starts looping using up CPU time and draining the battery. I've also had the device crash and restart itself. I've tried isolating the internet feed (Mobile Data vs. WiFi) to no avail. It appears to happen with either. There are also long periods of several hours during which nothing is happening (no new sockets on UDP or UDP6 port 5353). I will continue to post any updates to the above mentioned thread.

Feli Hadiyono

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Have a Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T520 running Android 4.4.2. In the last several weeks I've noticed dramatically reduced battery life. A process labeled mdnsd is running at a higher % usage than my screen. The screen has always been the top battery drain up until now. I did some research to a variety of forums and came up with some info, but no solution for my issue.
- some blame the SD card. I've removed the SD card and powered down, recharged, and restarted. Process doesn't come back immediately, but within 24 hrs, it's back.
- some blame a rogue version of Firefox. I've never installed Firefox
- some blame an app that controls drones. No drones in my household
- some blame game apps, but no specifics. I've had games from time to time, but nothing recent to explain the change in battery behavior

What is consistent is that when I power down, recharge to 100% and then restart, the mdnsd process is gone, but comes back in 24 to 48 hrs. Once it shows up, it soon becomes the top battery drain.

Anyone here have a clue as to what it is, can I get rid of it permanently, or if not, can I control it in some manner so it's not such a resource hog?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

JD

In my case, i found that the facebook app (version 100++) was the problem. Downgrade to version 90s and restart the phone then the mdnsd gone :)

JDeckerVa

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to all for your suggestions and insight. For the moment, I seem to have mdnsd under control by closing all my apps before putting the tablet on the charger overnight. Have gone 3 days without it making an appearance on my battery usage scale! No restart required. The reference to the FB app is also something I will continue to look into, as the FB app does not seem to be working completely and that disfunction started about the same time the battery usage went beserk. Again, thanks for the info.

baronv

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm on a Nexus 5 (2013) and this issue started happening to both my wife and I today. I know our phones updated some apps last night which is probably the root of this issue.

Is there a way to sort in Google Play to see which apps were recently updated from the past 3 days? Right now when I checked there's no way to sort it and the "Recently updated apps" section only shows the Twitter app that auto-updated on both mine and my wife's so I'm going to uninstall that and also force stop Facebook and Messenger to see if that does it.

Only noticed this issue when I received an email from my wife where her battery drained down to 40% after just 2 hours in stand by and when I checked my own phone it went down from 100% to 40% as well in an hour.

Nexusfan

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
The reference to the FB app is also something I will continue to look into, as the FB app does not seem to be working completely and that disfunction started about the same time the battery usage went beserk. Again, thanks for the info.

Same experience here. Facebook got wonky, then battery drain. Uninstalled, reinstalled last night. Lost 100% battery in 5 hours on a Note 4 with near zero screen on time.

Mdnsd consumed 35% and Google services 28%. It says screen was 31%, but that is bogus as is was sitting unused in sight.

If it continues, FB will have to go.

Stevieboy2017

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I cleared data on Facebook and uninstalled back to factory app.
Then restarted phone and had no problems since. MDNSD is gone when I check power usage.
Can still use Facebook but not recent version for some reason.

Dexter-o

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. Same problem was driving me up the walls, I thought my battery needed replaced an did so, only afterwards noticing the mdnsd programme was the problem.
I spent all day yesterday trawling forums where nobody seemed to have a definitive answer to the problem.
One person on one of the many threads suggested Google Launcher could be to blame. I uninstalled updates on Launcher, and Hey presto! 12 hours later and still no sign of the nasty little gremlin!
Settings-Application Manager-All-Launcher-Uninstall Updates. Charge to 100% and restart device.
Hopefully this is the end of it.

Stevieboy2017

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Uninstalling Facebook defintely worked for me. No mdnsd showing at all in battery usage.
It was making my battery very warm and using the power very quickly.
Make sure and restart phone after deleting Facebook.
This worked for me. Hope it helps someone else.

Dexter-o

May 24, 2015
Visit site
*UPDATE*
I said earlier I thought Google Launcher was to blame, but have since discovered it is indeed Facebook as Stevieboy points out.
I've discovered a sticking-plaster that doesn't involve uninstalling. Just go into app manager, clear data on both FB (and FB Messenger if you have it), and Force Stop both. Then open them again as if they were a fresh install. Job done. Mdmsd didnt appear on my phone for 2 days, until a fresh update auto-installed this afternoon and it came back again immediately. I just repeated the above and it's gone again.
Note, you must then charge your phone to full and restart to clear the battery list in order to be sure it has worked. Good luck!

Stevieboy2017

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Hopefully someone will figure out a permanent solution to this MDNSD problem.
At least in the meantime we can work our way around it.
Or maybe Facebook will release an update to solve this, surely they know about it.
Keep posting any more fixes. Thanks.

Davenh58

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I had the same issue on my S3. Read all the stuff about firefox which I never had. Just winging it I uninstalled the facebook app. That did It for me. I had facebook for a long time and had never had this issue. I'm just using chrome to run facebook and for several days now mdnsd has not made an appearance.

baronv

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
*Follow-Up* Got the Nexus5 running with the battery working normally finally. Previously uninstalled just Messenger and it worked for a while but then the mdnsd process kicked back in. Prior the battery would drop off after the phone was unplugged from a charger in like 3-4 hours and fall from 100% to 45% in 3 hours with just being on standby. Also originally thought it was a network issue since it seemed to only happen in certain area locations. Finally uninstalled the Facebook app completely and the mdnsd process stopped appearing and after unplugging the phone and leaving it on standby for the day, it still had 89% power after 9 hours!

eduardpaletskiy

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
The problem is solved settings in Facebook chat. It is necessary to disable the "Nearby friends" process "mdnsd" stop and will no longer be to plant a battery.

InTheGhett0

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
how do I turn off nearby friends? I don't have it installed or activated, but nearby places IS installed and activated, and I imagine given the description of what MDNSD does, it's related.

I can't seem to find an options to uninstall it or remove it. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy