With nearly 4GB internal storage showing free, why does android say I have not enough storage to preform updates?

I have 8GB of internal storage showing 3.79GB free when connected to PC and displayed in Win Explorer with 'show hidden files' enabled. All cache has been deleted, I have a minimum of apps installed which are running on the SD card where possible. So why is Android storage (in settings) only showing 242MB of internal storage free and I cannot install another app or updates? I also tried replacing Google Play Store as one post suggested but that made no difference. I've been struggling with this for over two years and haven't found a solution yet. Anybody have a solution.

Cheers.
    phone: THL T6 Pro, OS 4.42
    09-24-2017 05:52 AM
    There is the possibility of separate partitions, but as the device is unfamiliar to me I cannot say for sure.

Not all Android phones are the same being Android is open source. Manufacturers can modify Android to suit their needs.
    09-24-2017 06:09 AM
    Thanks, chanchan05. Interestingly, in Win disk management there is only one partition / one volume shown and it is just 4379MB, about half what I expected. This partition is showing only 494MB used with 3.79GB free. It would seem there is a hidden partition not detectable by Windows which is likely nearly full with OS, internal apps and data.

So, how do I render this virtually free fat32 4.28GB partition, which I 'can' see, accessible to the OS by merging it into a single partition? Why would a cellphone manufacturer advertise an 8GB internal storage phone but only give you 4GB to use?
    09-24-2017 06:55 AM
    Thanks, chanchan05. Interestingly, in Win disk management there is only one partition / one volume shown and it is just 4379MB, about half what I expected. This partition is showing only 494MB used with 3.79GB free. It would seem there is a hidden partition not detectable by Windows which is likely nearly full with OS, internal apps and data.

So, how do I render this virtually free fat32 4.28GB partition, which I 'can' see, accessible to the OS by merging it into a single partition? Why would a cellphone manufacturer advertise an 8GB internal storage phone but only give you 4GB to use?
    All manufacturers advertise the size of memory module installed and not the available space. Even if you go from laptops to desktops to cellphones, that practice is the same. Mostly because when you root or modify your phone, since you can install your own Android build if you know how to make one, you need to know the memory module capacity and specs.

I would not know how to help you though. Not even Samsungs with 8GB memory have that partition.
    09-24-2017 07:13 AM
    All manufacturers advertise the size of memory module installed and not the available space. Even if you go from laptops to desktops to cellphones, that practice is the same. Mostly because when you root or modify your phone, since you can install your own Android build if you know how to make one, you need to know the memory module capacity and specs.

I would not know how to help you though. Not even Samsungs with 8GB memory have that partition.
    Yes, I know about the the spec of storage drives, memory modules and system storage/memory allocation requirements but this is different. Having bought my first computer back in 1982 (TI-99A), I have never since come across a disparity like this where more than 50% of the advertised storage capacity was used in this way.

I wrote to THL again (first time they didn't reply) so hopefully I'll have more luck this time. Either way I'll post their answer as I don't think this is an uncommon issue with cellphones.

mailto: THL
    Since new, I have had an issue with my THL T6 Pro's internal storage. As advertised, there is 8GB of internal storage. I have discovered almost half is for one (ext4?) partition used for OS, internal apps, data and is nearly full. There is a second fat32 4.28GB partition showing 3.79GB free when connected to a PC and displaying in Windows disk management. All cache has been deleted, I have a minimum of apps installed which are running on an SD card where possible but I still cannot install another app or updates because of the little space left on the OS partition.
    Has THL mis-partitioned this phone in partitioning more than 4GB of internal storage which is virtually inaccessible by the OS and user? Is there an easy way to make use of this large, currently wasted storage space?
    09-24-2017 08:30 AM
    Yes, I know about the the spec of storage drives, memory modules and system storage/memory allocation requirements but this is different. Having bought my first computer back in 1982 (TI-99A), I have never since come across a disparity like this where more than 50% of the advertised storage capacity was used in this way.

I wrote to THL again (first time they didn't reply) so hopefully I'll have more luck this time. Either way I'll post their answer as I don't think this is an uncommon issue with cellphones.

mailto: THL
    Samsungs with 8GB memory tend to use up 3GB for the system (I have an 8GB Tab 4), so it's not unprecedented. The problem with yours apparently is its partitioned in a way that can't be used by thr system (Samsungs use a single drive format fot the entire 8GB, just that the system files are hidden and inaccessible without root).

However since this seems to be a less well known device I doubt there's anything that you could do about it or the company would. I suggest just chalk it up to experience and buy from a more reputable brand next time.
    09-24-2017 08:34 AM