What apps aren't working in Android L?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
We're coming around on 24 hours since the first Android L Developer Preview build was released, and while everyone is getting into it and seeing what's new, one of the clear (and expected) issues is compatibility with third-party apps. Some apps perform poorly, others don't look right and some downright just don't run at all. Some apps that we've come across that won't run on Android L:

• Dropbox
  • Google Docs
  • Google Sheets
  • Slack
  • Twitter (official app)
  • Cut the Rope Time Travel
  • WatchESPN

Of course you've likely used far more apps than these and found some that aren't working, so go ahead and let everyone know which apps are still inoperable in Android L. Hopefully this thread can turn into a useful tool where people can check in on their favorite apps and see what's working.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Broken Apps and Bugs in the Android L Developer Preview

Not Available or Doesn't Work

Twitter
HBO Go

Bugs

Tapatalk crashes when trying to post photos.
Netflix crashes when trying to stream to Chromecast

What else have we got?

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
We're coming around on 24 hours since the first Android L Developer Preview build was released, and while everyone is getting into it and seeing what's new, one of the clear (and expected) issues is compatibility with third-party apps. Some apps perform poorly, others don't look right and some downright just don't run at all. Some apps that we've come across that won't run on Android L:

• Dropbox
  • Google Docs
  • Google Sheets
  • Slack
  • Twitter (official app)
  • Cut the Rope Time Travel
  • WatchESPN

Of course you've likely used far more apps than these and found some that aren't working, so go ahead and let everyone know which apps are still inoperable in Android L. Hopefully this thread can turn into a useful tool where people can check in on their favorite apps and see what's working.

LightFlow isn't working.

I know the thread is to report apps that are not working at all, but can we also post names of the apps that are working but with a lot of bugs?
Facebook is running, but with a lot of bugs.

ferriman

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that the developers of those apps will not hurry to fix it, because almost nobody except some geeks and developers have Android L.

And a related topic, anybody knows how will be the Android L developer preview updates?

-no updates at all
-OTA updates (I hope)
-factory images (will be a nightmare and crazy to reset the phone everytime)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Secure Settings has problems.... the "Helper+" function, which you need for a bunch of the root actions, will boot that puppy right quick.... the second time I tried it, it got stuck at the boot animation for long enough for me to say "screw it" and reset the sucker and kill the install....

By the way, MultiROM is AWESOME for stuff like this. If you have a Nexus 5 and are screwing around with L, if you aren't using this or don't know it exists, you are doing yourself a great disservice. I was able to load up L on a second instance, boot into it, break it, then go back to my main in seconds and no worse for wear.

godo13405

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Kindle crashes on Android L

I just installed Android L and everything works great. But for some reason my Kindle app keeps crashing.

I open it, login, download a book to my device, but when I try to open it to keep reading, the app crashes.

I ripped the cache, data and even uninstalled the app and manually deleted the folders.

Any suggestions?

gdruin74

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Twitter doesn't work so tried carbon it does work any other twitter clients working?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

closers7

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I ran it for a full day and had to revert back to my kitkat backup. I couldn't get WiFi hotspot, USB tether and group MMS to work. Those are staple services for me. Has anyone else noticed this. I'm particularly interested in hearing from a fellow nexus 5 user on T-Mobile.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I ran it for a full day and had to revert back to my kitkat backup. I couldn't get WiFi hotspot, USB tether and group MMS to work. Those are staple services for me. Has anyone else noticed this. I'm particularly interested in hearing from a fellow nexus 5 user on T-Mobile.

I was aware of some messaging issues on AT&T, but didn't know about T-Mobile

yunusemrecan

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Comman Problems with Android L

Hi. I am curious about android L and I really wanna use it but nexus 5 is my only phone. I am interested in developing android program like an hobiest . If I have my phone , it will be huge problem for.So I am asking for common problems on beta. Are popular apps like Whatsapp,facebook,snapchat,foursquare OK? Is there a rebooting problem or something similar?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Twitter doesn't work so tried carbon it does work any other twitter clients working?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Fenix works after a few tries. Some of the interface doesn't draw correctly when composing tweets, but everything else is a-ok.

Hi. I am curious about android L and I really wanna use it but nexus 5 is my only phone. I am interested in developing android program like an hobiest . If I have my phone , it will be huge problem for.So I am asking for common problems on beta. Are popular apps like Whatsapp,facebook,snapchat,foursquare OK? Is there a rebooting problem or something similar?

If this is your only phone, you shouldn't install Android L on your Nexus 5 just yet. Far too many issues to be using it as your only device.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Plume works on Android L

Tweetcaster and twitter apps keep crashing. But plume works great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Albert62

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
For me don´t work:

- Dolphin Browser
- Twitter
- Vine
- MX Player
- SPLive TV
MX Player works fine for me.

I didn't try MMS but USB Tether and Hotspot are working just fine.

I've been using it since it got out and I don't think I will be going back until is out.. Runs fine for me.
Whatsapp works fine.
Facebook kinda works. (Comments become transparent sometimes)
Snapchat works fine.
I haven't tried Foursquare, I bet it does..
Most of my apps works, I believe some of them don't because L runs on ART.

Usman Khokhar

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
For me I can't send or receive MMS through Hangouts. I tried rebooting the device and it'll work for a few minutes but then MMS stops working again. That includes pictures as well as group messaging.

I'm on AT&T.

fionalindberg

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Visually L is nice but I've already flashed the 4.4.4 factory image back again. Just a little too buggy. I didn't see anyone mention facebook issues. Mostly ok but try to leave a comment, oh my, weird layers superimposed over one another with no ability to actually post a comment.

Do you think they'll make updates to Beta or is this it until officially released?

Sydney Rodrigues

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Facebook messenger app has a few issues. The popped out conversation has some what of a transparent background now. Or maybe it was intended.

Posted via Android Central App