Android L "Material" keyboard rocks

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how to describe it...it is FAST...like response times are really really quick. Animations feel a lot more fluid. I used to think Swiftkey was fast, but this feels like another level.

I didn't expect to like it. Swiftkey looks better in screenshots. But the L keyboard is just awesome. I am already typing much quicker on it. The keys are easier to see, the spacebar is easier to see, and all the emoticons are still there. Voice input seems a lot quicker as well.

[APP][4.0+] Android L (5.0) - Apps, Keyboard APK, Wallpapers, Fonts, System Dump, etc - xda-developers

I had to be rooted to use it. If you are using a non-nexus device, you might not need to be rooted. You install a 3rd party keyboard (any...I already had Swiftkey installed), and then delete or move the "LatinImeGoogle.apk" from your system/app directory. Reboot. You can now install the new keyboard APK:

[APP][4.0+] Android L (5.0) - Apps, Keyboard APK, Wallpapers, Fonts, System Dump, etc - Post #92 - XDA

If you are using a non-Nexus device, you may not have to move anything. You might just be able to install the APK like any other.

This will work on KitKat for sure, and at least one guy is claiming to have it running on JB (4.2.2).

(remember that you can always install the current keyboard again if you want...it is called "google keyboard" in the Play store).

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I agree. I haven't installed Swiftkey yet because I like the new keyboard so much.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
re:

Tried downloading & it installed mobie genie whatever the hell that is
Think you might have clicked on the wrong link. I got only the keyboard APK.

If you mouse over the download link, it should say "http://fs1.d-h.st/download/00127/YmI/LatinImeGoogle_noroot.apk". I am not seeing Mobile Genie on my Nexus at all.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Think you might have clicked on the wrong link. I got only the keyboard APK.

If you mouse over the download link, it should say "http://fs1.d-h.st/download/00127/YmI/LatinImeGoogle_noroot.apk". I am not seeing Mobile Genie on my Nexus at all.

I did click the wrong thing lol I got it though it's a pretty slick

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

Because it comes with the Google Keyboard, the unrooted Moto X can't get this update. (We can't uninstall the original app, just updates to it and/or disable).

Gary Holly

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

The material keyboard is up from a fan on the play store, for those wanting no to root or apk it

I don't have a play link, but a search using android L and keyboard will get you there

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
re:

You can get numbers from the top row, you just need to long press on the keys.

Um...yes. I know that. That's how almost all keyboards work. I just wish there was a dedicated number row like there is with SwiftKey. I don't like having to longpress to be able to type numbers.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
re:

Um...yes. I know that. That's how almost all keyboards work. I just wish there was a dedicated number row like there is with SwiftKey. I don't like having to longpress to be able to type numbers.

Fair enough. I figured you did but just in case (or in case someone else out there didn't realize).

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

Sounds like its fast, but I regret the creeping Ive'ization (iOS flatness) if this is any example of the next Android. Leave bland and unhelpful to Apple.