Have they added call blocking to L?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I see that L now has a Do Not Disturb mode, even if it's horribly gimped like the one on the Moto X (can only whitelist starred contacts? wtf...), but at least it's a step in the right direction.

So I'm curious if, while spending an inordinate amount of time making the UI widgets do jumping jacks, they've finally gotten around to adding the ability to block numbers (as opposed to just sending calls to voicemail), as even 3rd party apps like Mr Number can't block the 'you have one a free gift card' texts in 4.4, making it necessary to have two separate apps to get very BASIC functionality that should've been there since v1.0.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe the ability to block calls has more to do with carrier policy and is out of Google hands.

Not really, since there are 3rd party apps that can do it (and they could also block SMS messages prior to v4.4), and iOS has had this capability for awhile.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not really, since there are 3rd party apps that can do it (and they could also block SMS messages prior to v4.4), and iOS has had this capability for awhile.

On IOS calls still goes to voicemail. Texts will show being sent you will just not receive them. The 3rd party apps I have used on my S4, they all still go to voicemail. There is no way to block the incoming transmission of the call on the phone. All the 3rd party apps do is hide the information from you.

The only way to block the call completely is at the carrier.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

All I am saying is that Android really has little to do with letting you do either. It is the Dev's responsibility to figure it out. If one apps stops working it is that the apps needs updating not that Google made a design of stopping the action.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
All I am saying is that Android really has little to do with letting you do either. It is the Dev's responsibility to figure it out. If one apps stops working it is that the apps needs updating not that Google made a design of stopping the action.

They removed any ability for non-default SMS apps to block messages. Not sure how you work around that one :-|

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
On IOS calls still goes to voicemail....The only way to block the call completely is at the carrier.

Not entirely true. I've just come from iOS 7.whatever and (after you've received a call from an unwanted number and ignored it), you can then block that number (its at the bottom of the screen that allows you to add it to Contacts) without involving the carrier. Thereafter, calls and messages will not ring on your phone nor go to voicemail / iMessage. At their end, the 'phone' answers, but a message cannot be left.

It would be an absolute bonus if such a straightforward feature could be included.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely true. I've just come from iOS 7.whatever and (after you've received a call from an unwanted number and ignored it), you can then block that number (its at the bottom of the screen that allows you to add it to Contacts) without involving the carrier. Thereafter, calls and messages will not ring on your phone nor go to voicemail / iMessage. At their end, the 'phone' answers, but a message cannot be left.

It would be an absolute bonus if such a straightforward feature could be included.

No, you can not access the voicemail or message. It is still left.

iOS 7: Understanding call and message blocking

Note: Voice and text messages from a blocked contact will not be accessible

The person who is calling will still be able to leave a voicemail. Their text will show it was sent on their phone.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
iOS 7: Understanding call and message blocking
The person who is calling will still be able to leave a voicemail. Their text will show it was sent on their phone.

While using iOS 7, none of the BLOCKED calls showed up in my voicemail (or Visual Voicemail) or iMessage - while I don't much care what the blocked caller got at their end. They may have thought they had left a voivemail or message, but it just disappears into the ether. And I'm good with that - especially with cold calls, solicitations or unwanted pop-up texts. Just sayin'.

And Android still needs this feature.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
While using iOS 7, none of the BLOCKED calls showed up in my voicemail (or Visual Voicemail) or iMessage - while I don't much care what the blocked caller got at their end. They may have thought they had left a voivemail or message, but it just disappears into the ether. And I'm good with that - especially with cold calls, solicitations or unwanted pop-up texts. Just sayin'.

And Android still needs this feature.

You are arguing semantics, I am explaining how the system actually works.

If you call the direct voicemail number, you will find them there if they haven't expired yet. They don't just disappear.

To give you an example of why this is important.

Lets say the collection agency sues you and they state they have made several attempts to contact you and left you voicemails.

You can state, well I never got the phone calls and try to play dumb.

You may even try to say, why am I even being sued yet, I haven't had a chance to rectify the situation because I haven't been contacted yet.

The voicemail system at the carrier, may still have the voicemails left there and will have records of voicemails being left.
The carrier system will still show all the attempted phone calls not being answer.

And in a court of law, ignoring somebody is not a legal argument.

When it is done at the carrier level, they can't even leave a voicemail, It tells them this number has been block. It may have other legal ramifications as being used for a restraining order or for you to sue the telemarketer because you have put yourself on the do not call list. And in this instance, the phone call never really got through into the system.

Last edited:

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I suspect the reason why a couple of people believe blocked numbers don't go to voicemail is that telemarketers never leave messages.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the reason why a couple of people believe blocked numbers don't go to voicemail is that telemarketers never leave messages.

Which is fine by me, since these are the people I am trying to block, making the entire argument rather pointless.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
In Stock Android 4.4.4 you can go into the dialer, open the dialer settings and you can block any number That's not stored in the contacts list FrFrom getting through. You can set it so you get a notification about they blocked call or not.

siksik6

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
On my G3 I can long press a call from the 'Call logs' screen, and select 'Reject call'

The number is then added to a 'Call Reject List' and if that number calls me again, they are presented with an engaged tone with no oppurtunity to leave any message.

There is also no notification on the phone, but the call does appear in the Call Logs screen with an icon representing the fact that it's a blocked call.

Not sure if this is an LG thing or a Lollipop thing, but pretty much the perfect solution IMO!