Why is Material Design compared to paper

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the paper design analogy. When I look at a piece of paper I don't see white space on a gray background. Go to your printer if you're confused on the appearance of paper. Paper doesn't bounce or stretch either.

It looks alright. I believe minimalism is going out of style in favor of geometric shapes (that's in general). It's not bad however I am confused as to why people say it's a paper design.

Every time I see mention of the Material Design people mention paper. Why is that?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

bergeronjc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not being a smartass when I say this, but I don't get it.

Paper is not white on gray. You don't see shadow beneath the ink or graphite on paper.

I like the design. Not my fav but I like it.

Anyone feel like an explanation on why it is supposed to feel like paper? Does Google have a video explaining it?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It is just an absurd marketing bling word. Nothing you look at can actually "feel" like you are looking at paper. This is just a classic example of marketing devaluing the Engrish language.

Imho I think it is just an attempt at explaining the effort of making the viewable image appear as a material surface and not a holo-light field.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh boy it is worse than I thought it is just a metaphorical design theme.
Huh? Desktops are a metaphor. Folders are a metaphor. Cards are a metaphor. Recycle bins/trash cans are a metaphor. Keys on a virtual keyboard are a metaphor. Conversation view in your favorite SMS/chat program are a metaphor. Design is FILLED with metaphors to help people better understand and use technology.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Huh? Desktops are a metaphor. Folders are a metaphor. Cards are a metaphor. Recycle bins/trash cans are a metaphor. Keys on a virtual keyboard are a metaphor. Conversation view in your favorite SMS/chat program are a metaphor. Design is FILLED with metaphors to help people better understand and use technology.

Yeah more things to help people stay stupid. Sorry but if things are not challenging the brain deteriorates.

But he actually says plainly that it is a "metaphorical design". I was hoping they were trying to develop technology that was advancing the display to show a kind of 3D texture to simulate material surfaces but no its just some lame stupid crutch.

herodom

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it is metaphorical. Google is not exactly creating a new kind of material for android devices. However, that's not the point. Therein, I'm going to try to explain material design.

Material design at heart is an evolution of paper. It is a piece of smart paper that can to stretch to any screen size, change color, animate, move around, and produce tactile feel on human interaction. By layering a few of these papers front and backward, we get a user interface for a screen.

Rather than just a new visual style, the material design concept is a solution to many problems. (design is in itself is about creating solutions)

Firstly, material design is a visual solution that enables google to apply the same design style across many many different screen sizes. Instead of limiting the design to the confines of any screen (which comes in many sizes); what happens is the paper intelligently stretches to fill the screen space. Thus it will work on mobile or desktop or any screen necessary.

Secondly, material design thinking applies the physical rules of paper to user interface design. This introduces a way to achieve animation on Android without allowing designers to go overboard with animation design. The animation must still feel natural (like paper, which is why paper is such a good concept to bring to the screen) and not escape the physical limitations of paper. This achieves consistent design animations and design stylisation across apps. Consistency is beautiful design.

Thirdly, material design is a coding solution. Layering is a concept familiar to artists and graphic designers in software like Adobe Photoshop etc. What material design does is apply this to the coding for material design apps. This proves useful for coders who are not proficient in design to be able to easily follow google's material design to create beautiful apps, and as well designers that are new to app coding will find it more familiar to relate to.

As such, this is why many relate to paper when talking about material design. Watch [watch?v=Q8TXgCzxEnw] this video again with these thoughts in mind and you'll better understand it. If you'd like to study more on material design, absolutely read [google(dot)com(slash)design]
and the pdf inside of that link. The most important explanation about why material design was created is on the last page

Material design is a really deep and wonderful concept and as a designer I feel it truly stems from the basic core of design itself. Understand material design philosophies would mean you will understand what design is all about.

I hope this enlightened :)

rcazador

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is metaphorical. Google is not exactly creating a new kind of material for android devices. However, that's not the point. Therein, I'm going to try to explain material design.

Material design at heart is an evolution of paper. It is a piece of smart paper that can to stretch to any screen size, change color, animate, move around, and produce tactile feel on human interaction. By layering a few of these papers front and backward, we get a user interface for a screen.

Rather than just a new visual style, the material design concept is a solution to many problems. (design is in itself is about creating solutions)

Firstly, material design is a visual solution that enables google to apply the same design style across many many different screen sizes. Instead of limiting the design to the confines of any screen (which comes in many sizes); what happens is the paper intelligently stretches to fill the screen space. Thus it will work on mobile or desktop or any screen necessary.

Secondly, material design thinking applies the physical rules of paper to user interface design. This introduces a way to achieve animation on Android without allowing designers to go overboard with animation design. The animation must still feel natural (like paper, which is why paper is such a good concept to bring to the screen) and not escape the physical limitations of paper. This achieves consistent design animations and design stylisation across apps. Consistency is beautiful design.

Thirdly, material design is a coding solution. Layering is a concept familiar to artists and graphic designers in software like Adobe Photoshop etc. What material design does is apply this to the coding for material design apps. This proves useful for coders who are not proficient in design to be able to easily follow google's material design to create beautiful apps, and as well designers that are new to app coding will find it more familiar to relate to.

As such, this is why many relate to paper when talking about material design. Watch [watch?v=Q8TXgCzxEnw] this video again with these thoughts in mind and you'll better understand it. If you'd like to study more on material design, absolutely read [google(dot)com(slash)design]
and the pdf inside of that link. The most important explanation about why material design was created is on the last page

Material design is a really deep and wonderful concept and as a designer I feel it truly stems from the basic core of design itself. Understand material design philosophies would mean you will understand what design is all about.

I hope this enlightened :)
I'm happy that we're leaving Holo behind but you lost me at "animation must still feel natural ... and not escape the physical limitations of paper". I've known paper to do anything more animated than flipping. And frankly it all reads like they just wanted a flat design just like everyone else but instead of admitting it they went full on Marketing. Let me reiterate that I'm more than happy with it, but I just wish they'd been honest about it instead of dressing it up as a new paradigm.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
All I think of when listening to that guy talk is "modern artist trying to do something that pays money". He really needs a new wardrobe assistant. I hate how its a trendy style to put a wild print shirt under a tweed jacket and possibly throw in a striped tie, and throw on over jeans. Looks like someone just opened their closet and randomly picked a few items without looking.

I like the design theme though. One of the things I loved about windows phone. So simple and easy to understand. Not that I can't understand complex concepts, but thats my job daily, not what I want to do when I need to text someone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith