Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
64Bit will add a few improvements, speed and more memory some them up.
The new 64bit devices will be stronger and run more smoothly.

Google released the 64bit OS (Android L) as a developer preview, and devices are set to come out by the end of the year.
Currently I know that 64bit ARM processors are available and rumers are that Qualcomm and NVidia are working on theirs.
I guess I'd expect the first devices to be out for Christmas.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
So it would probably is a bad time to buy a new phone then...

Posted via Android Central App

If your basis is the phone that will be coming out in 3 to 4 months than it is always a bad time to buy a phone. I feel like the second generation of phones using 64 bit hardware might be the better bet for making that jump.

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I am a old computer programer on a 12 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit computer. The only thing phone/table users will notice in 64 bit CPU will add over 32 bit is primarily three things.

1. It will allow the CPU to address more than 4GB of ram memory that is a limit with 32 bits.

2. The 64 bits will increase the resolution of images in shading, shadowing, texturing, 3D effects and colors that will make animation almost look real.

3. Sixty four bits CPU will increase frame rate with wider data paths.

What you will see mainly with the new Logan 64bit CPU is the older generation Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 quality graphics animation on tablets.

This is a video made with the new 64 bit Nvidia's Logan CPU that is rumored to be in the Nexus 8/9 Volantis tablet. Note this is a old Logan K1 CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8FJDGnuyU

This video was shown about 45 days ago at Google I/O show. It really shows the real impact of all this shading, shadowing and colors in the new 64 bit Nvidia K1 (Logan) CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRr-G95GdaM

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone see this as being a big deal? and if so whats the likely timetable that is does become relevant?

When Apple originally unveiled the Apple A7 64 bit chip I thought that existing 32 bit chips would become instantly obsolete.

But turns out that the mobile industry is in no hurry to get 64 bit and even when we do get 64 bit the abundance of 32 bit apps will not go down.

The main benefit of 64 bit is the ability to use more than 4GB of RAM considering phones don't really need that much, there isn't a huge benefit of 64 bit, just yet.

Nvidia does plan to release it's 64 bit Tegra K1 later this year but it's likely only going to be in tablets and not in phones.

Snapdragon plans to release it's 64 bit chips next year but they will be 8 core chips and since apps don't multi thread that much, there is no huge benefit.

I bought a 32 bit Snapdragon 800 device just over two weeks ago and I hope to keep the device for 1.5 or 2 years, let's hope it continues to provide a smooth and seamless experience even then.

Sorry for the long post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781