Will Google release Hangouts SMS (mobile) and Hangouts Chrome Desktop SMS Merge on the Android L?

Jaron Pulver

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts SMS (mobile) and Hangouts Chrome Desktop SMS Merge

Will Google release Hangouts SMS and Chrome Desktop SMS merging in Android L? Noooo not Google Voice SMS...but standard Verizon, AT&T...sms sending and receiving in Chrome?

anon(8968081)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Hangouts SMS (mobile) and Hangouts Chrome Desktop SMS Merge

SMS has been available in Hangouts app for Android for some time. When it was first released you had separate threads for sms and hangouts, even if the contact was the same person. Later this was rolled together so you could have one thread for a contact for both sms and hangouts messages. The Chrome desktop extension is a whole 'nother beast. It seems as though since the Google Voice/Hangouts merger you can now do sms (regardless of whether you use Google Voice) in the Chrome extension. When you are in a thread there is a sms button along the top that allows you to send sms, but clicking this launches a new thread for that contact. Hopefully these will be merged eventually like they did in the Android app. What I can't figure out is how to start a new sms thread for a contact you do not communicate with using hangouts messages. Furthermore, some of my sms threads I started in the Hangouts Android app show in my Hangouts Chrome extension list but others do not. I'm not really sure what controls this. I think Google will eventually fix all of this but it's kind of a mess right now. In the meantime I'll stick to using PushBullet for sms from my computer.

Jaron Pulver

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hangouts SMS (mobile) and Hangouts Chrome Desktop SMS Merge

People you aren't getting what I'm trying to ask.

Can someone with Verizon, get on his Macbook Pro and go to chrome, go to my hangouts and send and receive SMS!!??? noooooo they can't. That's why I'm asking if its in the works or possibly coming out in Android L.

In the next month or so iMessage will have that feature. They will be able to send and receive (text messages) (SMS) (iPhone or Android text messages) on their computers. It is part of iOS8 and Yosemite.

WILL GOOGLE HANGOUTS EVENTUALLY DO THIS??? This would save my phone battery dramatically if I'm not pulling out my phone all day long to send a text, but rather go to a Chrome Tab and send and receive texts in the browser.

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey Jaron Pulver,
I think the feature's you are asking in android, may not be that easy even in Android L because All the users of Android cant upgrade to Andro L it's the major thing. Perhaps you are asking for some beauty thing in IOS that started ages ago.
Now coming to browser you were talking about, we can just make a hope of that. I think

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I have Yosemite on my MacBook Pro. I just tried to send an SMS from its Messages (i.e. "iMessenger") app to my T-Mobile cellphone number. I got an error message saying the number is not registered with iMessage. That means that the "SMS" you can send from Yosemite can only go to the phone numbers associated with iPhones. If that's the case, how is it any better than the Chrome Hangouts only being able to send Hangouts messages to Google accounts and Google Voice numbers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol