08-21-2015 06:13 PM
47 12
tools
    Everyone here is aware that there is a "material light" abs material dark theme right?
    10-24-2014 12:53 AM
    Everyone here is aware that there is a "material light" abs material dark theme right?
    For sure? I have not seen this mentioned anywhere

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 05:15 AM
    Thanks for link. I wonder how long it takes in practical use.

10-20 min same screen
    10-24-2014 05:21 AM
    For sure? I have not seen this mentioned anywhere

Yeah, these are screenshots of the official Google Keyboard on Android L. The "material light" and "material dark" themes.
    Attached Thumbnails L needs a dark theme-1414263060340.jpg   L needs a dark theme-1414263069553.jpg  
    chezm likes this.
    10-25-2014 01:52 PM
    AMOLED displays suffer from burn in. I'm not sure why anyone would choose an AMOLED display over IPS LCD.

Mine hasn't with over a year of use.
    10-26-2014 08:36 PM
    Yes please the only thing I like about L so far is the greatly improved recent apps functions.

I prefer darker metal themes they look clean, crisp and elegant.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-27-2014 12:24 AM
    Bright theme drains more battery plus it doesnt seem cool

10-27-2014 10:55 AM
    Yeah, these are screenshots of the official Google Keyboard on Android L. The "material light" and "material dark" themes.
    Interesting, but thats only the keyboard...are we sure the whole OS design can change between Material Light/Dark? If so thats awesome
    10-27-2014 02:31 PM
    Dark themes look so outdated
    Agreed!
    yet Google probably could give options to those who want dark themes.
    chezm likes this.
    10-27-2014 08:11 PM
    Agreed!
    yet Google probably could give options to those who want dark themes.
    This. Even if it looks "dated" to some but yes the option should be available, especially when we consider android the OS of customization and flexibility. It would be nice if they even went a step further and offered Custom Material Color (mix two sets of colors to make a unique experience for each user).
    brownaja likes this.
    10-31-2014 08:21 AM
    At least users should have an option to switch themes.
    Everyone has different tastes. I think that user should always be able to choose an option.
    brownaja likes this.
    10-31-2014 08:57 AM
    Agree. L is too bright... i prefer the dark theme. One of the many reasons i've avoided upgrading to v5.0 and again avoiding the upgrade to v5.0.1. But there is hope: i've heard that Google is bringing back the dark theme in either 5.0.x or 5.1. Ideally, making this configurable would be the best option.

I've read a post talking about the "Material" (ie. Dark) and "Material.Light (White) themes, however, as far as i know, these are developers' options for use while developing new Apps. But as far as i know (i could be wrong) these themes are not configurable by the user.
    01-25-2015 04:05 PM
    Agree. L is too bright... i prefer the dark theme. One of the many reasons i've avoided upgrading to v5.0 and again avoiding the upgrade to v5.0.1. But there is hope: i've heard that Google is bringing back the dark theme in either 5.0.x or 5.1. Ideally, making this configurable would be the best option.

I've read a post talking about the "Material" (ie. Dark) and "Material.Light (White) themes, however, as far as i know, these are developers' options for use while developing new Apps. But as far as i know (i could be wrong) these themes are not configurable by the user.
    Google Keyboard has light and dark Material themes.
    isdaako likes this.
    01-25-2015 04:24 PM
    I for one think white themes looks gaudy and pretentious on a phone and black themes look slicker and easier on the eyes. Just make a setting, call it Kit Kat theme, or something but get my setting menu back in black.
    05-03-2015 12:04 AM
    This. Even if it looks "dated" to some but yes the option should be available, especially when we consider android the OS of customization and flexibility. It would be nice if they even went a step further and offered Custom Material Color (mix two sets of colors to make a unique experience for each user).
    Yeah i agree - a bit like the options on Windows 8 where you choose a main and secondary colour.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    05-03-2015 02:17 PM
    Was this thread covered on this forum. I remember reading it and thinking Phew.. thats alright then. But this was 6 months ago.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...p-its-way.html

I am due Lollipop still on my Note 3.

I don't want to get used to these themes. I'm thinking of getting an older phone that won't update, or jump platform.
    05-06-2015 03:17 PM
    Was this thread covered on this forum. I remember reading it and thinking Phew.. thats alright then. But this was 6 months ago.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...p-its-way.html

I am due Lollipop still on my Note 3.

I don't want to get used to these themes. I'm thinking of getting an older phone that won't update, or jump platform.
    I was pretty happy when I first read the post about someone being certain a dark theme was on the way. A lot of time has passed since then, so I'm less optimistic now. I agree with all the comments about hating the color scheme, especially all the white, so I do hope that Google will come to their collective senses and at least give us options. The color scheme is just one of the arbitrary changes Google has foisted upon us. I am in agreement with those who say we need to be given back some choices---not just in the color scheme but other things as well.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-06-2015 03:40 PM
    Still waiting on this ... have eyesight problems and this theme its just plain terrible, white backgrounds just causes more strain to the eyes it's pure Sh#$it ... i really hate this all white internet... even with brightness levels on low.
    05-07-2015 02:29 PM
    I just got a new phone ad I hate it. Managed to get the keyboard black but everything is far to small including the letters. Even extra large font is far to small. I think I am going to send it back. Though android5 would be better what a mistake. I agree it is choice that we need. I would like green on black. And I want big big icons on my front screen. Maybe I am old fashioned but that's the way I am. In a few years white screens will be old fashioned too.
    08-08-2015 09:59 AM
    Dark themes look so outdated
    I disagree, White on black,like so many 3rd party applications have the option to change the theme, regardless of the battery, it is easier to read. I agree with user Chrispy: "At least users should have an option to switch themes."
    08-17-2015 11:03 AM
    I agree that a dark option should be offered for those who prefer it. However, as for the ease of reading, dark print on a white or other light background is what works best for most people, and that's why newspapers and books are printed with dark text on a light background. Most forums are configured for dark text on a light background. It's just what happens to work best for the majority of people.
    08-17-2015 08:47 PM
    A dark theme would be very welcome in my opinion. Migrating from an iPhone, I was excited to have the darker theme as compared to the blinding white light of iOS, alas, it is not available on lollipop. Oh well, hopefully this setting will be available on marshmallow.

Posted via the Android Central App, using my shiny new Galaxy S6
    08-21-2015 06:13 PM
47 12