Is Android 5.0 RTM?

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Guys I'm new to Android coming from Windows Phone so simple questions might sound silly so I apologize in advance. I have an LG G3 and eagerly awaiting Lollipop. We know that Lollipop was announced last week and I read reports of developer previews but does this mean the OS is complete and released to manufacturers? Or is it still in some beta stage? I know OEMs release updates months after the official release and I'm just trying to figure out when that clock starts. Thanks in advance for your replies....

Posted via the Android Central App

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It is on its final "Beta" stage. According to Google it will be released to Nexus devices starting in November. Unfortunately you will have to wait a bit for the LG G3 to get it as LG first has to approve it. However if you are comfortable i'm sure you could root your phone and load a custom ROM onto it. Check out XDA

kirot

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Kind of. OEMs should already have access to non-final/preview code/builds- engadget.com/2014/10/02/samsung-android-l-leak/

Don't expect an update until some time after they release the final code on November. Even the final preview builds for developers on the Nexus 7 and 5 are incomplete.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Might as well sit back and forget about it for a while as all OEMs generally take at least 2-3 months to release their skinned version of a major update. I would guess it will be 4-6mths for LG to prep L for the G3. Probably be some other AOSP/CM12 options before the official release from LG...

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Usually, Google release the OS along with their new Nexus. However, it take longer for third party manufacturer to incorporate it to their own phones, especially if you are using a carrier branded phone. Some manufacturers are faster than other. If you have an LG, just sit back and wait, because it'll take them a while.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Usually, Google release the OS along with their new Nexus. However, it take longer for third party manufacturer to incorporate it to their own phones, especially if you are using a carrier branded phone. Some manufacturers are faster than other. If you have an LG, just sit back and wait, because it'll take them a while.

that's because the nexus line is basically test dummies for new software.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Might as well sit back and forget about it for a while as all OEMs generally take at least 2-3 months to release their skinned version of a major update. I would guess it will be 4-6mths for LG to prep L for the G3. Probably be some other AOSP/CM12 options before the official release from LG...

Not all. Motorola had multiple 4.4 versions available before all Nexus devices were even updated.