So the first question is straight forward. When will 5.0 be released on the G3 on Verizon? The second question not so. Basically will I have to completely back up the phone to a PC or Mac or will I be able to update without backing up? If it's even a minor update, say, for giggles, from 4.4 to 4.4.2, would that still have to have a backup done or could be done no backup?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-22-2014 01:46 AM
    I've never seen an mfg upgrade the reset a phone so with that I would guess that it will upgrade and keep existing settings/apps/data...
    10-22-2014 08:26 AM
    So the first question is straight forward. When will 5.0 be released on the G3 on Verizon? The second question not so. Basically will I have to completely back up the phone to a PC or Mac or will I be able to update without backing up? If it's even a minor update, say, for giggles, from 4.4 to 4.4.2, would that still have to have a backup done or could be done no backup?

Android OTA updates do not erase any user data, however I will usually reset my device after a major one to clear everything out. The minor ones like 4.4.2 > 4.4.4 I don't reset.

Now, that's only for an OTA. Flashing a system image will automatically reset the device and you will lose all data stored on the phone.

The third way you can perform an Android update is by manually flashing an OTA. This will NOT delete any user data. Both of the manual flashing options are performed using ADB commands in your computers terminal on UNIX or the Command Prompt in Windows. These methods require a level of skill to begin with, and aren't recommended for novice users.

If you just install the update on your G3 from the notification in the drawer you will not have any issues losing data. However, it is always a good idea to have a backup in case the worst happens.
    10-29-2014 11:49 PM

To answer your first question. LG has already confirmed all G2 and G3 variants will be getting an update, so you are in luck. Generally OEM's support Android updates on their phones for 2 years past the phone's release date. You will certainly have plenty of OS updates in your future seeing as the G3 is only a few months old.
    10-29-2014 11:54 PM