When is Android getting Airplay / DLNA Streaming?

rkburns1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Airplay / DLNA Streaming, especially from Google Music

When is Android going to have this? A dongle is not the answer. The HTC M8's "Media Output" feature is the only thing that has prevented me from running back to Apple (I have many DLNA / Apple TVs / Receivers that I can stream to). Hello? Is Lollipop going to have something like this? It can't be too hard...HTC figured it out and it does a pretty decent job at DLNA streaming from Google Music. The M8 is a really nice phone...I can stick it out with them, but I want this with my Samsung Note tablet too.

videoouija

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Airplay / DLNA Streaming, especially from Google Music

Android wont get airplay as that's apple proprietary. They'd have to license it if apple would let them.

Posted via the Android Central App

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes, but it's sad that in 2014 Google has no real answer to Apple on this. Isn't Google supposed to be the most innovative company on Earth?

videoouija

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

It seems to me google has two potential solutions at the current time: Chromecast and Nexus Player.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

I use the excellent BubbleUPnP app for DLNA streaming.

LazarX

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Android wont get airplay as that's apple proprietary. They'd have to license it if apple would let them.

There is absolutely nothing preventing Google from licensing AirPlay. In fact many third party Android developers DO just that. I have apps on my Samsung and Kindle that will fire to Apple TV. Google simply does not have a compelling interest to do so on the OS level, since they are hardware competitors in the exact same market given that they sell Chromecast and Nexus Play. Google doesn't want you using Apple TV, they want you to buy THEIR hardware instead, just as they want you to buy their media from their services, not iTunes. Amazon, Apple, have the same motivations and it's simply buisness.

The stickier wicket is FairPlay which is required to play protected content.

Corrections to my post:

The Air Play protocol is an open source protocol. the enhancements to that protocol, such as AirPlay Mirroring, AirPlay Remote Control, and Fair Play, vary in their openness, but most have been reverse-engineered.

Last edited:

rkburns1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Airplay aside, no built-in DLNA streaming for Google music is not acceptable. As for airplay, if people want it, just make them pay for it in the store and pass Apple's share along to them...I'd pay a decent wage to get it.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Are you using this on Lollipop? Content is choppy or frozen for me. No such issues with KitKat or Windows 8.1.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

jimswms

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

Can you play spotify with this? I just put the app on my phone, but I can't figure that out. Maybe, it won't stream Spotify...

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

There is absolutely nothing preventing Google from licensing AirPlay. In fact many third party Android developers DO just that. I have apps on my Samsung and Kindle that will fire to Apple TV. Google simply does not have a compelling interest to do so on the OS level, since they are hardware competitors in the exact same market given that they sell Chromecast and Nexus Play. Google doesn't want you using Apple TV, they want you to buy THEIR hardware instead, just as they want you to buy their media from their services, not iTunes. Amazon, Apple, have the same motivations and it's simply buisness.

The stickier wicket is FairPlay which is required to play protected content.

Corrections to my post:

The Air Play protocol is an open source protocol. the enhancements to that protocol, such as AirPlay Mirroring, AirPlay Remote Control, and Fair Play, vary in their openness, but most have been reverse-engineered.

What android app allows to to airplay to an appleTV? I have not ever seen a single one (audio and video), and it does have to do with apple locking it out.

Chromecast and the nexus player do great with mirroring the homescreens and pushing netflix, HBO GO, etc to the device, but is really bad at streaming videos from websites. Airplay easily has the best playback of videos that are in a browser.

For example, I stream afdah.com from safari to an appleTV and it works flawlessly. Try doing that with a nexus player or chromecast and it is a juddery mess.

rkburns1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
If Google's objective is to get me to buy their hardware for streaming, it isn't going to work. I'm much more invested in the apple ecosystem and most of my devices support dlna. I'm hoping Android M has something at least on the dlna front. I inch ever so closer to going beck to the iPhone as music streaming from google music channels is huge for me and apple has taken care of most my previous gripes. only my aging HTC M8 keeps me holding out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21