After the KitKat update why did the Default SMS & Browser stay?

timbomcchoi

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Default SMS & Browser

I was using the L preview, and I only flashed the 5.0 version today.

I was under the impression that from KitKat, the android base Messaging app was merged with the Hangouts app for SMS, and that the old Browser app was replaced by Chrome........I just finished initial setup, and I see the old Browser app (with the Earth-like icon), and Messaging app (with the light green rectangle icon) in the tray, instead of Hangouts and Chrome, which is what I was expecting.

Did these apps make a return? or am I missing something?

Thanks! :)

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Default SMS & Browser

Na I think there only there for the preview. I'm sure they'll get replaced especially the browser since its so old.

timbomcchoi

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Na I think there only there for the preview. I'm sure they'll get replaced especially the browser since its so old.
I'm also seeing the old Gallery app alongside the Photos app, and Calendar and Music apps from the good old days.....

Is this what I should be seeing? I'm not inexperienced enough to mess up a simple factory image flash...... I think

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm also seeing the old Gallery app alongside the Photos app, and Calendar and Music apps from the good old days.....

Is this what I should be seeing? I'm not inexperienced enough to mess up a simple factory image flash...... I think
I think its the because its the android open source project (AOSP) preview its just built into the system. They will probably remove them once the final version is out.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

You do know that the 5.0 version that you flashed is still a developer preview, right?

timbomcchoi

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

You do know that the 5.0 version that you flashed is still a developer preview, right?
yes, I am well aware, but I don't see why those apps would make a comeback. if the case is that they won't be there with stable release, all is well, I suppose.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

yes, I am well aware, but I don't see why those apps would make a comeback. if the case is that they won't be there with stable release, all is well, I suppose.
It's not meant for consumers, rather, it is for developers to test and debug their apps. For that purpose, the Google apps are not needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12