Should I manually install or wait for the OTA?

wmb37

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Manually install or wait for the OTA

I am thinking of updating my nexus 5 to Lollipop. I have played around with unlocking and then locking the boot loader using the adb and it's all really simple : )

My question, apart from getting lollipop quickly what is the advantages and disadvantage of doing it this way? will I still get OTA updates patched from Google if I manually install?

w

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Manually install or wait for the OTA

There are two advantages of sideloading, firstly, you obviously get the update quicker and secondly you get to learn a little about your device and Android in general.

As for disadvantages, well, there's a chance you could mess up, but I've never gotten myself into an irretrievable situation, I've always managed to eventually get to my destination and there are plenty of well written guides.

You'll still get OTA updates if you decide to manually install.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

There are two advantages of sideloading, firstly, you obviously get the update quicker and secondly you get to learn a little about your device and Android in general.

As for disadvantages, well, there's a chance you could mess up, but I've never gotten myself into an irretrievable situation, I've always managed to eventually get to my destination and there are plenty of well written guides.

You have to relock the boot loader after flashing for future OTA right?

Posted via the Android Central App

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

You have to relock the boot loader after flashing for future OTA right?

I think you'll still get OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader, I always relock mine so I can't be certain, but I remember reading it somewhere.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

I think you'll still get OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader, I always relock mine so I can't be certain, but I remember reading it somewhere.

Hmmm... I relocked anyway. It's so easy to unlock, and while unlocking wipes it, if I'm unlocking, I'm installing a new OS anyway. I'm sure there will be OTA bug fixes in the coming weeks, so I don't want to miss them.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I am waiting for the OTA for as long as it takes. It is too complicated to sideload and I don't want to wipe my device and then have to reconfigure everything again.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Doesn't manual installation of the OS wipe the device? So everything needs to be reinstalled/reconfigured. How is that not seen as a disadvantage compared to OTA installation?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) Install an update saved by someone who got one OTA and you won't wipe the device. Install a full Lollipop ROM and you will. My current 4.4.2 was installed manually - as an update. Didn't wipe anything out. (And that's as far as the phone goes right now - 4.4.4 on an AT&T Note 3 can't be rooted. I don't update until root is available - and I don't think I'll update if a Safestrap equivalent isn't available.)

2) Manually update and brick the phone and you might end up paying a lot to get it fixed. Get an OTA update that bricks the phone and your carrier (oe whoever sent the update) has to fix it (usually by just reflashing it).

Ahmed Hussein7

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site

hi
once you use sideloading you will not get OTA update

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't work that way. I've flashed the full factory ROM, sideloaded the update and gotten OTA updates after that, on more than one Google phone. As long as you don't put some unofficial ROM into the phone (or root it - or root it with Magisk and forget to turn it off before an update), you'll get OTA updates. (Google doesn't seem to care what you do - when they asked me for a core dump, and I forgot to unroot before doing the dump, they just asked me to send them another one with root disabled. The developer [the problem went that far - the RMAd devices they sent me had the same problem] had the proof that the phone was rooted right in his hands - and didn't care.)

(Of course the problem had nothing to do with rooting - they probably would have canceled the warranty if it had. But I don't do things like that. If I call for help, it's not because I made a silly mistake.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12