I am thinking of updating my nexus 5 to Lollipop. I have played around with unlocking and then locking the boot loader using the adb and it's all really simple : )

My question, apart from getting lollipop quickly what is the advantages and disadvantage of doing it this way? will I still get OTA updates patched from Google if I manually install?

w
    11-13-2014 04:22 AM
    There are two advantages of sideloading, firstly, you obviously get the update quicker and secondly you get to learn a little about your device and Android in general.

As for disadvantages, well, there's a chance you could mess up, but I've never gotten myself into an irretrievable situation, I've always managed to eventually get to my destination and there are plenty of well written guides.

You'll still get OTA updates if you decide to manually install.
    11-13-2014 04:29 AM
    There are two advantages of sideloading, firstly, you obviously get the update quicker and secondly you get to learn a little about your device and Android in general.

As for disadvantages, well, there's a chance you could mess up, but I've never gotten myself into an irretrievable situation, I've always managed to eventually get to my destination and there are plenty of well written guides.

You'll still get OTA updates if you decide to manually install.
    You have to relock the boot loader after flashing for future OTA right?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-13-2014 04:46 AM
    You have to relock the boot loader after flashing for future OTA right?

I think you'll still get OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader, I always relock mine so I can't be certain, but I remember reading it somewhere.
    11-13-2014 04:53 AM
    I think you'll still get OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader, I always relock mine so I can't be certain, but I remember reading it somewhere.
    Hmmm... I relocked anyway. It's so easy to unlock, and while unlocking wipes it, if I'm unlocking, I'm installing a new OS anyway. I'm sure there will be OTA bug fixes in the coming weeks, so I don't want to miss them.

11-13-2014 05:15 AM
    I am waiting for the OTA for as long as it takes. It is too complicated to sideload and I don't want to wipe my device and then have to reconfigure everything again.
    11-13-2014 03:43 PM
    Doesn't manual installation of the OS wipe the device? So everything needs to be reinstalled/reconfigured. How is that not seen as a disadvantage compared to OTA installation?
    tonyr6 likes this.
    11-13-2014 05:09 PM
    1) Install an update saved by someone who got one OTA and you won't wipe the device. Install a full Lollipop ROM and you will. My current 4.4.2 was installed manually - as an update. Didn't wipe anything out. (And that's as far as the phone goes right now - 4.4.4 on an AT&T Note 3 can't be rooted. I don't update until root is available - and I don't think I'll update if a Safestrap equivalent isn't available.)

2) Manually update and brick the phone and you might end up paying a lot to get it fixed. Get an OTA update that bricks the phone and your carrier (oe whoever sent the update) has to fix it (usually by just reflashing it).
    Aglet likes this.
    11-13-2014 05:21 PM