Is there any benefit from doing a factory reset before updating to lollipop? I have a nexus 5 and I'm just wondering. I hear some people do it because the update made their phone laggy after an update. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-13-2014 05:11 PM
    Debatable - you'll get opinions either way. But a cache partition clear AFTER the update can't possibly hurt.
    11-13-2014 05:18 PM
    Cache and Dalvik cache clear both before and after won't hurt. And you won't lose any data or apps. It will make the first boot-up take a lot longer, though - the Dalvik cache has to be rebuilt if it's wiped. (Since you really can't predict an OTA update, just do the clears after the update if you're not doing it manually.)
    11-13-2014 05:29 PM
    Is there any benefit from doing a factory reset before updating to lollipop? I have a nexus 5 and I'm just wondering. I hear some people do it because the update made their phone laggy after an update. Thanks.
    I sideloaded the OTA file (not the factory image) and cleared the cache partition; I did NOT do a factory reset. After the first start, it was a little laggy for about 5 minutes but it's flying now.
    11-14-2014 12:41 AM
    Cache and Dalvik cache clear both before and after won't hurt. And you won't lose any data or apps. It will make the first boot-up take a lot longer, though - the Dalvik cache has to be rebuilt if it's wiped. (Since you really can't predict an OTA update, just do the clears after the update if you're not doing it manually.)
    How do you do the Davlik cache clear? Also, didn't Lollipop drop Davlik in favor of ART?
    11-14-2014 01:23 AM
    my first try with lollipop was a disaster....lag...stutter...crashing apps....random reboots. i then did a factory reset, and i'm pleased as punch now with the update.

How do you do the Davlik cache clear? Also, didn't Lollipop drop Davlik in favor of ART?
    yeah, i was wondering this too. could it be that the custom recoveries are now clearing ART cache? and simply haven't update the language on the app? i might clear dalvik cache tomorrow to see if the tablet then rebuilds ART.
    11-14-2014 10:13 PM
    I doubt that resetting before an update would do anything, but there's probably some merit to resetting after, especially with a big change like Lollipop. Clear out all that old data and make a fresh start. Of course, whether that's worth the trouble of a reset is up to you.
    11-15-2014 01:32 AM