04-20-2015 04:12 PM
66 123
tools
    That works great if you have not intention of using priority mode at night, but if you do want use priority at night you will need to turn apps on and off during the night/day to achieve silent during the day and only certain sounds at night.
    The priority mode works very well for me at night since I don't have any extra apps turned on as priority. Calls from my mom (who is in my starred contact list) still wake me up, and that's exactly what I want because it may very well be an urgent situation if she calls me in the middle of the night. If you want it to work like a "true" silent mode, you can choose "None" instead of "Priority."
    11-19-2014 11:29 AM
    That's what the priority mode does. Messages will still show up, but no vibrate or sound, except for the priority messages.

I simply schedule the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 on weekdays. I don't touch volume at all. My alarm wakes me up just fine, and nothing else is audible (unless, of course, someone in my starred contact calls me in the middle of the night).
    The user above this post described priority mode. If you have nothing turned "on" in priory no app will make a sound, so it is a fake silent. If you turn apps "on" then only those apps will make a noise. You will still get all of your notifications, but the only ones that will sound are the ones you have chosen.

That works great if you have not intention of using priority mode at night, but if you do want use priority at night you will need to turn apps on and off during the night/day to achieve silent during the day and only certain sounds at night.

If you set the phone to "none" no notifications sound or even display. You have to physically open the apps.

I still think the best way to get silent right now is lowering the volume to a level of "1" and then rebooting the device. It boots back up in a totally silent state.
    That was my understanding too. Where my confusion comes into play is when the setting is on "all" with everything else also on (vibrate + sound), everything comes through, as intended. While the vibrate + sound is on, and I switch it to "priority", both vibrations and sounds still come through (i.e. no change). Only when I set my phone to vibrate + priority will the "silent mode" come on, and only notifications come through without any vibration or sound.

I have everything set up as "off" for priority, so only my alarm goes off for anything aforementioned.
    11-19-2014 11:52 AM
    That was my understanding too. Where my confusion comes into play is when the setting is on "all" with everything else also on (vibrate + sound), everything comes through, as intended. While the vibrate + sound is on, and I switch it to "priority", both vibrations and sounds still come through (i.e. no change). Only when I set my phone to vibrate + priority will the "silent mode" come on, and only notifications come through without any vibration or sound.

I have everything set up as "off" for priority, so only my alarm goes off for anything aforementioned.
    In the priority mode, only the notifications you specify as priority should make a sound and/or vibrate. If your alarm is the only priority event, then nothing else should be audible in the priority mode.

I've read somewhere that WhatsApp somehow doesn't honour the priority mode, and they have released a fix for it. I'm not aware of any other apps that may have a similar issue. For me, everything works as intended.
    axis. likes this.
    11-19-2014 12:23 PM
    That's what the priority mode does. Messages will still show up, but no vibrate or sound, except for the priority messages.

I simply schedule the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 on weekdays. I don't touch volume at all. My alarm wakes me up just fine, and nothing else is audible (unless, of course, someone in my starred contact calls me in the middle of the night).
    In the priority mode, only the notifications you specify as priority should make a sound and/or vibrate. If your alarm is the only priority event, then nothing else should be audible in the priority mode.

I've read somewhere that WhatsApp somehow doesn't honour the priority mode, and they have released a fix for it. I'm not aware of any other apps that may have a similar issue. For me, everything works as intended.
    Ah I see, interesting, I haven't tested the feature with any other notifications (though I vaguely remember BBM coming through...but I could be wrong). That makes a bit more sense then as it was WhatsApp notifications that were coming through
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-19-2014 01:55 PM
    The priority mode works very well for me at night since I don't have any extra apps turned on as priority. Calls from my mom (who is in my starred contact list) still wake me up, and that's exactly what I want because it may very well be an urgent situation if she calls me in the middle of the night. If you want it to work like a "true" silent mode, you can choose "None" instead of "Priority."
    None stops notifications from notifying you at all. You have to open the app to view them. Way different than silent.
    11-19-2014 04:09 PM
    None stops notifications from notifying you at all. You have to open the app to view them. Way different than silent.
    That's what I meant by "true silent mode," rather than the old silent mode available in the older version of Android. The Priority mode can do what the old silent mode did. You just have to make everything non-priority. Alarms will still go off, but so did they in the old silent mode.
    11-19-2014 04:22 PM
    That's what I meant by "true silent mode," rather than the old silent mode available in the older version of Android. The Priority mode can do what the old silent mode did. You just have to make everything non-priority. Alarms will still go off, but so did they in the old silent mode.
    Ah gotcha. I hate vibrate, but cannot have my phone making noises all day. I miss just regular old silent mode. 5.0.1 better have it. It may sound silly, but it would actually be a deal breaker.
    11-19-2014 05:05 PM
    I hate that they axed this feature too. How about putting the phone on airplane mode? The only notification that would vibrate and make a noise would be the alarm if one is set correct? For me personally that's all I want to hear in the morning. I don't want to be woken up by random emails or whatever. That's the only workaround I see right now.
    11-19-2014 05:46 PM
    So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yes, that's how it works. It isn't exactly the same as silent mode, but as for how I used it, it's the same.

You still SEE the notifications - they just don't make any noise or vibrate.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    11-19-2014 07:45 PM
    Yes, that's how it works. It isn't exactly the same as silent mode, but as for how I used it, it's the same.

You still SEE the notifications - they just don't make any noise or vibrate.
    Yeah, the way I use the priority mode, it works very well for me, too. The only thing they could add is for each app to control the messages / events to come through in the priority mode. For instance, if I set LINE (one of the messenger apps) to priority now, all messages on the app will come through in the priority mode. Rather, I want only the messages from particular users to. The feature may already be available in the SDK. I sure hope so.
    11-19-2014 07:57 PM
    Thanks all,

How do I select what app is allowed to sound in priority?
    11-20-2014 08:32 PM
    Thanks all,

How do I select what app is allowed to sound in priority?
    Settings --> Sound & notification --> App notifications
    11-20-2014 10:08 PM
    None is the same thing as silent.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-20-2014 10:11 PM
    So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

Yes! You can set the priority mode to last only for a certain duration.

And btw Y'all, the the silent mode is activated by pressing the volume button then click on the bell icon. Voila... Silent mode. You can activate 'silent' in any notification mode: be it none, priority, or all.
    11-21-2014 03:11 AM
    I just created a thread and did not see this one.

That does not work. Priority effects what will send you a notification and what will not. If the app is a priority, it will make a noise. If the app is not a priority, it will not alert you of a notification at all. You would have to actually open the app.

Silent mode was a way to still have notifications come through, but they would not vibrate or make a noise. There is no way to do this in lollipop.
    Press the volume button (up or down), click the bell icon 🔔. That's silent on every mode, be it none, priority, or all.
    11-21-2014 03:14 AM
    Press the volume button (up or down), click the bell icon . That's silent on every mode, be it none, priority, or all.
    No, that is vibrate mode.
    11-21-2014 07:30 AM
    No, that is vibrate mode.
    Oh I thought vibrate mode is also silent mode. That's how I like it though. Still giving notifs but SILENT.
    11-22-2014 03:23 AM
    Oh I thought vibrate mode is also silent mode. That's how I like it though. Still giving notifs but SILENT.
    Vibrate is too intense for me. It is annoying in my pocket or on my desk

I would be OK with vibrate if I could adjust the actual level of vibration.
    tonyr6, Jonneh and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    11-22-2014 04:04 AM
    I don't get this ’open the app" stuff. When I test None mode, I still get the various icons appearing in the notification bar {new email, SMS, WhatsApp, missed call, etc) - I just don't get the associated sounds or banner notifications on the sleep/lock screen.

I don't need to open the email app to see if I have new mail; I see the symbol in the notification bar. And if I pull down the shade, I see just as much detail as before.

11-22-2014 04:21 AM
    I don't get this ’open the app" stuff. When I test None mode, I still get the various icons appearing in the notification bar {new email, SMS, WhatsApp, missed call, etc) - I just don't get the associated sounds or banner notifications on the sleep/lock screen.

I don't need to open the email app to see if I have new mail; I see the symbol in the notification bar. And if I pull down the shade, I see just as much detail as before.

Hmm. When I select none, I literally get no notifications.
    11-22-2014 07:10 AM
    For the ones that were able to silent your notifications, did any of you test WhatsApp? My sounds for WhatsApp still go through, LED alert doesn't. Could you share your settings setup?

11-22-2014 09:10 AM
    For the ones that were able to silent your notifications, did any of you test WhatsApp? My sounds for WhatsApp still go through, LED alert doesn't. Could you share your settings setup?

Is your WhatsApp up-to-date?
    11-22-2014 11:03 AM
    This gets me! I could have sworn that I didn't get any notification popups on the lock screen when I set my phone to None a couple of days ago. Now I've just tested it again, I do! The only difference I can think of is that I manually installed the latest Google Play service last night to try the "trusted locations" feature in Smart Lock. Can it have done that? Or have you always had notifications in the None mode? Or was I just daydreaming?
    11-22-2014 11:10 AM
    This gets me! I could have sworn that I didn't get any notification popups when I set my phone to None a couple of days ago. Now I've just tested it again, I do! The only difference I can think of is that I manually installed the latest Google Play service last night to try the "trusted locations" feature in Smart Lock. Can it have done that? Or have you always had notifications in the None mode? Or was I just daydreaming?
    Mine is now showing notifications as well so it is actually working like a true silent mode.

It was not working this way a few days ago
    11-22-2014 11:12 AM
    Mine is now showing notifications as well so it is actually working like a true silent mode.

It was not working this way a few days ago
    Could you do me a favour and check the version of the Google Play service app?

Settings --> Apps --> ALL --> Google Play services

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure I never saw any notifications in the None mode just a few days ago. The only difference I can think of is the version of the Google Play services app. Mine is now "6.5.85." Is yours the same, or is it older?
    11-22-2014 11:19 AM
66 123