No More Silent Mode

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
None stops notifications from notifying you at all. You have to open the app to view them. Way different than silent.

I don't get this ’open the app" stuff. When I test None mode, I still get the various icons appearing in the notification bar {new email, SMS, WhatsApp, missed call, etc) - I just don't get the associated sounds or banner notifications on the sleep/lock screen.

I don't need to open the email app to see if I have new mail; I see the symbol in the notification bar. And if I pull down the shade, I see just as much detail as before.

Posted via the Android Central App

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't get this ’open the app" stuff. When I test None mode, I still get the various icons appearing in the notification bar {new email, SMS, WhatsApp, missed call, etc) - I just don't get the associated sounds or banner notifications on the sleep/lock screen.

I don't need to open the email app to see if I have new mail; I see the symbol in the notification bar. And if I pull down the shade, I see just as much detail as before.

Hmm. When I select none, I literally get no notifications.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
For the ones that were able to silent your notifications, did any of you test WhatsApp? My sounds for WhatsApp still go through, LED alert doesn't. Could you share your settings setup?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
This gets me! I could have sworn that I didn't get any notification popups on the lock screen when I set my phone to None a couple of days ago. Now I've just tested it again, I do! The only difference I can think of is that I manually installed the latest Google Play service last night to try the "trusted locations" feature in Smart Lock. Can it have done that? Or have you always had notifications in the None mode? Or was I just daydreaming?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This gets me! I could have sworn that I didn't get any notification popups when I set my phone to None a couple of days ago. Now I've just tested it again, I do! The only difference I can think of is that I manually installed the latest Google Play service last night to try the "trusted locations" feature in Smart Lock. Can it have done that? Or have you always had notifications in the None mode? Or was I just daydreaming?

Mine is now showing notifications as well so it is actually working like a true silent mode.

It was not working this way a few days ago

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine is now showing notifications as well so it is actually working like a true silent mode.

Could you do me a favour and check the version of the Google Play service app?

Settings --> Apps --> ALL --> Google Play services

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure I never saw any notifications in the None mode just a few days ago. The only difference I can think of is the version of the Google Play services app. Mine is now "6.5.85." Is yours the same, or is it older?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 6 is running 6.5.87.

Before the N6 arrived (Wednesday 11/19), I had sideloaded Android 5.0 on my Nexus 5; I'm pretty sure that None mode was working the same way but I can't be absolutely certain.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I got it all figured out. I have an LG G watch and I like receiving vibration in the watch but just the LED in the phone. Android 5.0 doesn't care much about the LED since the Nexus 6 doesn't come with one. Hangouts will give me the option of receive vibration on phone calls and text messages on my watch but not my phone but apps like Whatsapp, I feel like they have not been upgraded to Lollipop so they are "confused" and I can't properly set them up. Guess we will just have to wait for an update? Gosh it was so simple on KitKat.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

Not really because alarms will not sound.

Google is onto something with this but I think the current implementation is a swing and miss.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Could you do me a favour and check the version of the Google Play service app?

Settings --> Apps --> ALL --> Google Play services

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure I never saw any notifications in the None mode just a few days ago. The only difference I can think of is the version of the Google Play services app. Mine is now "6.5.85." Is yours the same, or is it older?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Not really because alarms will not sound.

Google is onto something with this but I think the current implementation is a swing and miss.

The None mode isn't intended to do the exact same thing as the silent mode. Like mattopotamus says, you can use the Priority mode and disable everything if you want to hear the alarms but nothing else.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
True, but if you set priority to always turn on at a certain time you do not have to worry about changing anything :)

But this setup breaks automation apps like Locale. So I can set it to turn on every day or any day automatically but I no longer can have an app (for now) that will turn it on at a certain time if I am at a certain place. For instance, if I am at home at 1030 pm I want it to trigger, but if I am out I do not. Prior to 5.0 this was easy to set up and currently I believe it is impossible.

The None mode isn't intended to do the exact same thing as the silent mode. Like mattopotamus says, you can use the Priority mode and disable everything if you want to hear the alarms but nothing else.

But the "none mode" is seemingly worthless. When would you not want an alarm you set to go off? It is stupid and seems like a waste. If we could edit none like we can priority it would help.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
But the "none mode" is seemingly worthless. When would you not want an alarm you set to go off? It is stupid and seems like a waste. If we could edit none like we can priority it would help.
I use the none mode during meetings. It works perfectly by silencing everything. Otherwise, I use the priority mode at work when I don't want to be interrupted - in this case, calls and messages that I consider important will still audibly notify me, which is exactly what I want.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I use the none mode during meetings. It works perfectly by silencing everything. Otherwise, I use the priority mode at work when I don't want to be interrupted - in this case, calls and messages that I consider important will still audibly notify me, which is exactly what I want.

But then if you want to go to sleep at night you choose between no alarm or priority coming through. My definition of "priority" at 2am and 2pm are different.

They ought to rename "none" to quiet and provide the same flexibility they give us on setting up priority notifications.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza