04-20-2015 04:12 PM
66 123
tools
    Is there no more silent mode? I like to keep my phone silent with no vibrations and no ringtones for most of the day and just get notified via my LED.

I see the No Interruption mode, but I still want my alarms to go off. Does anybody have any insight?

Thanks!
    11-17-2014 03:27 PM
    I'd like to hear about this too. I've heard there is currently no way around this and my use habits are similar to the OP.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2014 03:29 PM
    I heard that there is one, but it's in a different place and it's named differently

Posted via Android Central App
    11-17-2014 07:15 PM
    Yeah it doesn't make sense to do away with it. I need a silent mode sometimes my self..

Posted via Android Central App on The Nexus 5
    hallan9 and butterfly210 like this.
    11-17-2014 07:52 PM
    Is there no more silent mode? I like to keep my phone silent with no vibrations and no ringtones for most of the day and just get notified via my LED.

I see the No Interruption mode, but I still want my alarms to go off. Does anybody have any insight?
    Can you use the Priority Interrupt mode? That way the alarms will go off but everything else will be blocked except for the messages/calls/apps you specifically allow to go through. I personally think this is better than the silent mode or the quiet hours feature available to some custom ROMs.
    11-17-2014 09:01 PM
    Can you use the Priority Interrupt mode? That way the alarms will go off but everything else will be blocked except for the messages/calls/apps you specifically allow to go through. I personally think this is better than the silent mode or the quiet hours feature available to some custom ROMs.
    I just created a thread and did not see this one.

That does not work. Priority effects what will send you a notification and what will not. If the app is a priority, it will make a noise. If the app is not a priority, it will not alert you of a notification at all. You would have to actually open the app.

Silent mode was a way to still have notifications come through, but they would not vibrate or make a noise. There is no way to do this in lollipop.
    11-18-2014 07:02 AM
    I just created a thread and did not see this one.

That does not work. Priority effects what will send you a notification and what will not. If the app is a priority, it will make a noise. If the app is not a priority, it will not alert you of a notification at all. You would have to actually open the app.

Silent mode was a way to still have notifications come through, but they would not vibrate or make a noise. There is no way to do this in lollipop.
    When I have my N5 in the priority mode, the notifications *do* show up. They just don't make a sound or vibrate, just like in the traditional silent mode.
    KCAndroid1 likes this.
    11-18-2014 08:43 AM
    Basically, though I read there is a bug that if you have the phone on volume 0 (or 1) and reboot then lower volume again it will put the phone on silent.

Note this change apparently only affects phones, tablets still get a silent option.

stole that from another thread and it works. It makes the phone reboot with a volume of 0 and no vibrate
    11-18-2014 11:22 AM
    When I have my N5 in the priority mode, the notifications *do* show up. They just don't make a sound or vibrate, just like in the traditional silent mode.
    mine only show the notifications I have set to priority. Email are received, but not with a notification.
    myrcgarage likes this.
    11-18-2014 11:23 AM
    mine only show the notifications I have set to priority. Email are received, but not with a notification.
    So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

11-18-2014 11:54 AM
    That's weird. I just sent a test mail from my work account to my GMail account while the phone was set to the priority mode. The notification did pop up, with no sound. That's consistent with my own observation. Do you see no notification at all?
    11-18-2014 12:10 PM
    So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

Correct, I used it last night. Priority mode makes it so the only thing you get notifications for are alarms and any app you specify.
    grover5 likes this.
    11-18-2014 12:10 PM
    Yes, that's the idea. Alarms are always considered priority. That's what I do now - set the phone in the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 so only the priority notifications are audible.
    grover5 likes this.
    11-18-2014 12:12 PM
    That's weird. I just sent a test mail from my work account to my GMail account while the phone was set to the priority mode. The notification did pop up, with no sound. That's consistent with my own observation. Do you see no notification at all?
    I will try it again. Last night I had it on, and did not get a single gmail notification. I had to go into the app to see the email. Even if it works the way you are describing, I doubt it would send a notice to a pebble in that mode.

Edit: I just tried it again and the email came through and still notified me on my pebble when in "priority mode". That is still a pain though b.c I would have to set it to what I want to hear at night.

Setting it to "none" is working like I described. No notification comes through at all unless you open the app. The best solution seems like rebooting with the volume at "1" b.c it makes the phone silent upon reboot.
    11-18-2014 12:12 PM
    I will try it again. Last night I had it on, and did not get a single gmail notification. I had to go into the app to see the email. Even if it works the way you are describing, I doubt it would send a notice to a pebble in that mode.
    Just curious, what is a "pebble" in that context?
    11-18-2014 12:18 PM
    Just curious, what is a "pebble" in that context?
    a smartwatch. Since a notification is technically "off or silenced" in priority mode, I did not think it would push to a smartwatch. It does though. If you use priority as your silence, you would need to have everything off and then at night turn on what you want to hear.

It just seems like a bug b.c on the tablet there is still a real "silent" mode.
    11-18-2014 12:24 PM
    Agreed that getting rid of silent mode was a mistake

11-18-2014 12:53 PM
    Just used this bug myself to get an alarm, but stop all other notifications. (I was unable to stop facebook and messenger notifications from vibrating).
    11-18-2014 01:12 PM
    I didn't realize tablets still possess a silent mode. It does seem like it could be a possible bug in that case. Or it's a bug that the tablets still have it. :-P Interesting.
    11-18-2014 01:32 PM
    I think I will not be updating my note 4 with the lollipop software... I will skip this one!!

*My Sexy Note 4*
    11-18-2014 01:35 PM
    Just used this bug myself to get an alarm, but stop all other notifications. (I was unable to stop facebook and messenger notifications from vibrating).
    You mean Facebook and Facebook Mesenger don't honour the priority mode? Yet another reason to not use Facebook...

[EDIT] I actually installed Facebook Messenger and tested it in the priority mode. As expected, it did not vibrate or make a sound. So in my environment, it is working.
    11-18-2014 02:32 PM
    I didn't realize tablets still possess a silent mode. It does seem like it could be a possible bug in that case. Or it's a bug that the tablets still have it. :-P Interesting.
    Tablets usually don't have a vibrate mode, to it's either sound or silent.
    11-18-2014 02:45 PM
    I don't understand why they axed the silent mode. I just did some testing with WhatsApp and with Priority mode on + sound, my phone still vibrates and audibly notifies. With priority mode on and vibrate only, my messages come through but there is no vibration nor any sound (i.e. silent mode). So instead of just holding down the volume down button to get to a silent mode, I have to hold it down + get it into Priority to get it into silent mode? This seems a little counter-intuitive to me as priority mode is supposed to only let certain notifications come through, and I have everything turned off.

Though from the above, it sounds like it might be a glitch? I had assumed priority mode meant that no notifications will get through (messages will still arrive in silent mode, but no vibrate or sound, no matter what mode is selected)?

I always simply switch my phone to silent mode before bed so nothing comes through except for my alarm until....well, my alarm. Now I guess I'll have to put it in priority and turn the volume all the way down...?
    11-18-2014 10:29 PM
    Though from the above, it sounds like it might be a glitch? I had assumed priority mode meant that no notifications will get through (messages will still arrive in silent mode, but no vibrate or sound, no matter what mode is selected)?
    That's what the priority mode does. Messages will still show up, but no vibrate or sound, except for the priority messages.

I simply schedule the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 on weekdays. I don't touch volume at all. My alarm wakes me up just fine, and nothing else is audible (unless, of course, someone in my starred contact calls me in the middle of the night).
    11-18-2014 10:36 PM
    I don't understand why they axed the silent mode. I just did some testing with WhatsApp and with Priority mode on + sound, my phone still vibrates and audibly notifies. With priority mode on and vibrate only, my messages come through but there is no vibration nor any sound (i.e. silent mode). So instead of just holding down the volume down button to get to a silent mode, I have to hold it down + get it into Priority to get it into silent mode? This seems a little counter-intuitive to me as priority mode is supposed to only let certain notifications come through, and I have everything turned off.

I always simply switch my phone to silent mode before bed so nothing comes through except for my alarm until....well, my alarm. Now I guess I'll have to put it in priority and turn the volume all the way down...?
    The user above this post described priority mode. If you have nothing turned "on" in priory no app will make a sound, so it is a fake silent. If you turn apps "on" then only those apps will make a noise. You will still get all of your notifications, but the only ones that will sound are the ones you have chosen.

That works great if you have not intention of using priority mode at night, but if you do want use priority at night you will need to turn apps on and off during the night/day to achieve silent during the day and only certain sounds at night.

If you set the phone to "none" no notifications sound or even display. You have to physically open the apps.

I still think the best way to get silent right now is lowering the volume to a level of "1" and then rebooting the device. It boots back up in a totally silent state.
    11-19-2014 06:57 AM
66 123