Can You Turn Off the Pop-up Text Notifications???

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way? They're kinda annoying. I don't want texts popping up while I'm watching videos.

Posted via Android Central App on The Nexus 5

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to turn off notifications completely. I just don't want the pop-up that appears at the top of my screen. I still want the phone to go off when I get a text.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As above. Select "When device is locked" - Don't show notifications at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As above. Select "When device is locked" - Don't show notifications at all.

I do not think that is what he means. He is talking about if you are in an app and the message appears as a banner up top, similar to IOS. I do not think you can turn that off.

The notifications use to appear as an icon in the status bar, now they are a banner in addition to the icon.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I do not think that is what he means. He is talking about if you are in an app and the message appears as a banner up top, similar to IOS. I do not think you can turn that off.

The notifications use to appear as an icon in the status bar, now they are a banner in addition to the icon.

Does that apply specifically to "messages"? I just sent myself an email from my PC while browsing pictures on my Nexus 5; I heard the notification sound and got the GMail icon in the notification bar, but no banner of any kind. And that is with Notifications enabled.

If I send an email to myself while the phone is locked, I do get the lockscreen banner when I turn the phone on...

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Does that apply specifically to "messages"? I just sent myself an email from my PC while browsing pictures on my Nexus 5; I heard the notification sound and got the GMail icon in the notification bar, but no banner of any kind. And that is with Notifications enabled.

It must be. I use messages and just tested it

If I send an email to myself while the phone is locked, I do get the lockscreen banner when I turn the phone on...

It must be. I uses messages and just tested it

Attachments

• 323.jpg
    323.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 200

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts does it too.

Looks like it depends upon the app. Hangouts does it, like you say. OTOH, GMail / Inbox / GroupMe only show icons. I'd assume that the SDK allows an application developer to specify how the notification shows up when the phone is not locked.

For the Hangouts shade, you can slide it up to get it off the screen.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it depends upon the app. Hangouts does it, like you say. OTOH, GMail / Inbox / GroupMe only show icons. I'd assume that the SDK allows an application developer to specify how the notification shows up when the phone is not locked.

For the Hangouts shade, you can slide it up to get it off the screen.

I think this is exactly the point. These complaints for the most part are probably not native to the OS but to the various apps. A few months down the road we may see many apps being updated to make better use of the capabilities and features of the new OS.

Akakios

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
If you go to settings security and turn on pinning, your texts won't pop on top of whatever screen you have pinned. It just worked for me anyway!

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for ur input everyone. I realized after using Textra that it is indeed up to the dev/app because Textra has as option to turn it off. The "floating notification", as they call it, doesn't play nice with the lockscreen or Daydream and the Textra ppl are blaming SwiftKey. Yeah Idk.. Lol

Bruno No

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
for whatsapp is the same, i want to disable text popup, i already disabled it on app, but it still appear.. when i turn off on notification, nothing appear.

towe96

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Is ther any new informations about this? These "floating notifications" are what's currently holding me back from Android L.

What did Google think they were doing? Silent mode removed, now even giving incompetent devs to show massive pop-ups...

Geeta79

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm having the same problem I want to turn off the whatsapp preview that appears when my screen is on but I still want to receive a notification that I have received a message.
Pop up is off in the whatsapp settings.
but when I turn it off on the actual phone I then receive no notification that I have received a message can anyone please help!

Princess Valerie

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I am having this same issue with WhatsApp after updating my phone last night. It is more than frustrating. All settings within the app are set to NO pop-up..yet this stupid banner still pops up on my screen with a message. Please say there is a way to fix this!

Hi I'm having the same problem I want to turn off the whatsapp preview that appears when my screen is on but I still want to receive a notification that I have received a message.
Pop up is off in the whatsapp settings.
but when I turn it off on the actual phone I then receive no notification that I have received a message can anyone please help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta