Can You Turn Off the Pop-up Text Notifications???

Obriann

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Settings, Sound and notification, Ringtones and sounds, Messages notifications, then you can turn off Preview message

Posted via the Android Central App

Norbu Fnu

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I think there is setting go to message from there setting then tap on notification then uncheck pop-up display

Posted via the Android Central App

Lenaaa

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been searching for a solution all day long. Tried all the tips mentioned here but it didn't work. I don't want to turn off the notifications, I want to see a WhatssApp icon followed by sender name, no message preview, both when my screen is on and locked. Has anyone found any other solution for Android 5.0.2 and Whatsapp version 2.12.367. I mailed Whatsapp support but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks a lot!

Hans Bosma

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I puzzled also and think I found a complete solution. I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime by the way.

I think it is a bug in the Android OS.

When you select the 'no popup' in the Whatsapp Settings for both group and direct whatsapps, you do not see any notification at all (not in the Whatsapp icon, nor in the Task bar). To change this, just set for example the Notification-LED 'ON'. Then you get no popups but still get the visual notification in the task bar and the Whatsapp icon!!

fitz1j

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just got a new phone and this was driving me crazy, but I found an answer so if this helps anyone that lands here from googling like I did I feel like it will be worth it.

The answer is in "Allow peeking" which is buried under settings-> Sound & notification -> App notifications -> <app name: LINE> -> Allow Peeking and turn it OFF!

Archydos

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just got a new phone and this was driving me crazy, but I found an answer so if this helps anyone that lands here from googling like I did I feel like it will be worth it.

The answer is in "Allow peeking" which is buried under settings-> Sound & notification -> App notifications -> <app name: LINE> -> Allow Peeking and turn it OFF!

THANK YOU! Finally...

Snokat

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way? They're kinda annoying. I don't want texts popping up while I'm watching videos.

Posted via Android Central App on The Nexus 5

Go to main text message screen in message app, click the upper right button and go to settings, at the bottom you'll see the option to turn of pop-ups. If you have any other apps throwing up pop-ups, check their individual settings, it's an app by app feature, not a general setting.

seanwilliam

May 21, 2016
Visit site
This works for me. Using Samsung Galaxy S4. Instead of turning the notification entirely off, set the Popup Notification settings to "Only When Screen "off""

12brother12

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I found this thread probably like most of you- trying to fix this extremely annoying pop up thing! Absolutely horrible idea. However, a couple of things..

There has always been a similar feature- the message text used to pop up, but it stayed enclosed in the notification bar. Now that I liked, because if I caught the message as it came in I could read it without even opening the app. Thus far I have found no way to get that back. I have, however, been able to keep the notification of whatsapp while disabling the annoying pop up. Oddly enough, you do it by turning it ON. Set it to show pop ups only if screen is off. Now, if your screen is on, you will only receive a icon in the notification bar along with your normal notification sound. Not sure about the other messaging apps, but it worked for whatsapp.

Hope this helps!

THIS. This is great. It works. THANK YOU! I had given up hope on this stupid thing and then months later I thought maybe someone has a solution now. And this is it.

SatsuMX

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I found this thread probably like most of you- trying to fix this extremely annoying pop up thing! Absolutely horrible idea. However, a couple of things..

There has always been a similar feature- the message text used to pop up, but it stayed enclosed in the notification bar. Now that I liked, because if I caught the message as it came in I could read it without even opening the app. Thus far I have found no way to get that back. I have, however, been able to keep the notification of whatsapp while disabling the annoying pop up. Oddly enough, you do it by turning it ON. Set it to show pop ups only if screen is off. Now, if your screen is on, you will only receive a icon in the notification bar along with your normal notification sound. Not sure about the other messaging apps, but it worked for whatsapp.

Hope this helps!

Came here to +1 this. This is the solution, which is completely backwards to what you'd expect! But yes, I no longer get the annoying preview on top when playing games/watching videos by turning the option ON.

The icon still shows up on the top for new notifications, so this is perfect.

Thank you!

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Not listed in Note 5. All that is under "L" is Lightflow and Lookout.

Jen_2

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Not sure if you guys have figured out a way to stop the pop-up notifications but I came across an app that helps sort this issue out (at least it did for me )
"Step 1: Install HeadsOff
Go ahead and install HeadsOff, Jawomo's app, from the Google Play Store for free. Obviously, you'll need to be running Android 5.0 or higher for this.

Step 2: Enable the Service
To get this application working, open it up and select "App is disabled," then enable Notification access. Once access is granted, heads-up notifications will be suppressed.

Step 3: Apply It on a Per-App Basis (Optional)
With the Pro version ($1.99), you can enable HeadsOff on a per-app basis so you don't miss out on the alerts you really want. There's also an option to select how notifications appear on your lock screen, but this can also be done natively through the stock Settings app."

Hope it helps!

YoungJacobi

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
You need to go into the actual Android settings, and then Application Manager:

Android Settings > Application Manager > WhatsApp

Then untick "Show Notifications".

You can then choose to enable pop-up alerts for messages or groups. (In my case I only wanted an alert if a single person sent something to me - not inane group chatter!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol