12-22-2015 12:16 AM
62 123
tools
    Like others, I was getting myself more and more confused while reading about ways to "downgrade" my Nexus 7 (2012) back to KitKat (or JellyBean). I found a video on YouTube that finally made sense to me. I ran the video on my HTC One while I had my Nexus 7 attached to my Mac for "downgrading." I paused the video whenever I needed to type a command and it worked for me the first time! My Nexus 7 is now running better than ever. Yes, it means wiping your device, but it was well worth it in my opinion.

This video is aimed toward Mac-users, but is very easily translated for PC users---just don't do the "./" step toward the end of the video.

I hope it helps someone. I couldn't stand Lollipop on my Nexus 7, the lags were terrible. Plus, I don't like some of the features such as the combined mailbox, the lack of silent mode, no "Gallery," etc. I know that a clean install of Lollipop might have solved the lagging, but I much prefer JellyBean or KitKat as an OS.

JMO.
    12-01-2014 05:35 PM
    I've reset my devices several times now and I'm still having the same problems.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-01-2014 10:37 PM
    I agree - bring back KitKat until all the issues are ironed out.

Lollipop is not at all compatible with my Nexus 7 2010 Model ME370T. Apps constantly crashing, Facebook etc. Exceedingly long "blank screen" delays before apps load up or gmail etc.

I had no issues at all with KitKat 4.4.4 and have tried to re-install it but I must have missed an important step because after the reboot, I ended up with Lollipop 5 again. Darnit!

I'm about to try the re-install again. It's a tense time because I'd cry a lot if I bricked it!
    Same issues I got on my nexus 7. Frustrating and takes away all joy I had for my tablet :-(
    12-07-2014 12:20 PM
    wait twitter update will ok.
    12-08-2014 09:29 PM
    This video is aimed toward Mac-users, but is very easily translated for PC users . . .
    Ummmm, no, it's not.
    12-09-2014 09:44 PM
    My Nexus 7 is completely 100% unusable, it crashes constantly and there's not a single [language removed by Moderator] thing that works on it. I'm so [language removed by Moderator] tired of it that I just want to throw my Nexus 7 up against the [language removed by Moderator] wall. Lollipop is the absolute worst [language removed by Moderator] update to ever make its way to people's devices that I've heard of. I want the mother [language removed by Moderator] fix NOW!!!!!!!!!!
    12-10-2014 12:53 AM
    I was forced to upgrade my Nexus 7 FHD last week, and nothing has been running smooth since and battery consumption is actually worse. Really don't like it's new " simplified " appearance either, hate the white keyboard. Can't seem to work the volume button when I want because this priority crap I didn't ask for keeps interfering.

Don't know what the point of rolling back to KitKat is, since once you do, Google will automatically download 5.0 and then it will stay in notifications reminding to install until you accidentally hit it.

Might try a factory reset, but backing up/reinstalling everything is a major pain I didn't ask for. Google should give the option of allowing users not to upgrade until if/when they want to. And they go on parading that Google device users are the first to get screwed, um, I mean reap the benefits of an update.
    12-12-2014 02:21 AM
    I waited weeks before I finally installed Lollipop. My device was stable for a couple days then noticed instability. Apps wouldn't stay open as if they were fighting for RAM. Battery life became poor. Started deleting apps and removed a couple that didn't have updates or didn't really use. Many everyday basic actions just hanging up the platform. Lollipop doesn't appear to play well with a mix of apps and affects the overall stability of the OS.
    12-12-2014 09:04 AM
    Since "upgrading" to Lollypop apps on my Nexus 7, stop working for no apparent reason, some functions run slowly, and I have to restart my tablet at least half a dozen times a day. Bring back Kitkat.
    12-12-2014 10:18 AM
    I got a nexus5 and got os lollipop. on a. Sereen. Getting lines and getting white I don't know why please tell me what to do
    12-22-2014 04:37 AM
    Larrytxeast, Right on! I'm also pretty good with my PC and do complete back ups with Acronis, but for the life of me I can't find an article that explains how to revert to KitKat because they look like they're written in another language.
    Google should, at the very least, provide an easy way to revert to an older operating system if they're going to push new ones with so many bugs. It's maddening.
    01-18-2015 11:00 AM
    Factory images and instructions can be found here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    01-18-2015 11:06 AM
    It states in those instructions:

"You will find these files useful if you have used the Android Open-Source Project, flashed custom builds on your device, and wish to return that device to its factory state."

Presumably this means it's rooted? I haven't done anything to my tablet, it's still the bog standard installation. Do I use this too?
    01-25-2015 06:19 AM
    I have an old Nexus 7 the original 8gb and although I like the look of Lollipop it is slowing my tablet down like a constipated snail. Google give us a way to roll back to KitKat
    01-25-2015 09:22 AM
    I have an old Nexus 7 the original 8gb and although I like the look of Lollipop it is slowing my tablet down like a constipated snail. Google give us a way to roll back to KitKat
    Factory images and instructions can be found here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    belodion likes this.
    01-25-2015 12:55 PM
    Can we have these instructions in English please?
    01-26-2015 03:13 AM
    although I like the look of Lollipop it is slowing my tablet down like a constipated snail.
    Oh. Oh my. Constipated snail eh?
    01-26-2015 06:29 AM
    You may want to try WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit it can be downloaded from this site Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.2 | WugFresh

Good YouTube Video:

Good Tutorial: http://nexus5.wonderhowto.com/how-to...pdate-0155334/
    dynaMOna likes this.
    01-26-2015 09:27 AM
    Yeah in my experience with techies at work, they shouldn't write how-to-do guides. They assume too much thus leaving out important details. User guides are best written by functional users. I learned from my recent experience and wrote my own guide to flashing factory images. I should have a much smoother experience next time. Lemme know if interested.
    01-30-2015 09:09 PM
    I've created an account just so I can answer this. I followed these steps and managed to revert my Nexus 7 wi-fi (older model) from 5.02 to 4.4.4. All of this because after months of being patient, of trying different things (including a factory reset), I was still having issues.
    Now this reverting was pretty easy: the WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit is straightforward and pretty dummy proof. Go ahead, try it.
    dynaMOna likes this.
    02-01-2015 12:31 PM
    yes but it *is* complicated for newbies (like myself). It's frustrating, esp as 4.4.4 was suiting my needs just fine, I just got caught up in the hoopla and didn't read any comments. I will be rolling back to kit kat on my n7 2013 but have spent hours watching youtube tutorials and downloading the sdk, fastboot ETC ETC.
    02-18-2015 04:23 PM
    I agree with all of you 100%. Lollipop is gross to be honest. If I wanted everything white, flat and ugly (and uncustomisable) I'd buy an iPhone. Phone now freeze up, notification bar is ugly, cant view the contents without clicking on it, when new message received my LED light wont light up, screen wont wake up as well. How can i downgrade without doing factory reset? Android should fix the notifications settings, keep them as they were. The update would've been a lot better without changing notifications settings and layout. We have to do so many steps know in order to receive a notification, keep it like the KitKat version (i mean settings wise).
    02-20-2015 01:58 PM
    I agree with all of you 100%. Lollipop is gross to be honest. If I wanted everything white, flat and ugly (and uncustomisable) I'd buy an iPhone. Phone now freeze up, notification bar is ugly, cant view the contents without clicking on it, when new message received my LED light wont light up, screen wont wake up as well. How can i downgrade without doing factory reset? Android should fix the notifications settings, keep them as they were. The update would've been a lot better without changing notifications settings and layout. We have to do so many steps know in order to receive a notification, keep it like the KitKat version (i mean settings wise).
    Agree with you 100%! Just flash your choice of Kitkat ROM via Odin. Problem solved. You will of course loose your data and everything else, so just backup before, and restore after!
    02-20-2015 06:33 PM
    Installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5 yesterday.

Now Email sucks. Twitter is not working.
    Some controls have been hidden(moved further back).
    White backgrounds are too harsh... etc etc.

I want my KitKat back.

Any ideas on how I can get there ?
    03-01-2015 07:41 AM
    This is a different language to me lol. Is there any way to do this for the Galaxy S5? I am having an issue with the LED not lighting up for notifications and the battery draining like crazy. I want to go back!
    03-03-2015 11:53 AM
62 123