01-22-2017 05:47 PM
56 123
tools
    Lollipop has reduced the music play lock screen widget to Just Pause and Skip in a small notification, making no sense at all to the music enthusiasts who uses their phone as an MP3 player, walkman, ipod (whatever you wish to call it). Lollipop should have added more features to the music player considering Google want's us to use their Play store to purchase music.

I have downgraded to Kit Kat 4.4.4
    I will not go back to Lollipop
    I am looking for a new phone that has the best features for a music player. If this ends up being iphone then so be it.

Features I want in a lock screen for a music player:
    • Displaying my artwork....BIG....hello! Whats the point of paying for these beautiful big screens?
    • ALL basic operational features such as PLAY, PAUSE, SKIP FORWARD and SKIP BACK
    • Fast forward or touch and drag through a track
    • Volume control on screen as well as via the volume rocker
    • Shuffle & Repeat
    • Like (Thumbs up or add as favourite)
    • All on screen functions large enough to touch. Important for when you're in motion, (in the car) or if you have fingers bigger than pointy little stick.

For me these are not negotiable, especially when I'm using my phone in the Car or in the Gym. Life moves fast and I don't have time to fuss around with notifications and the like. I want my music up front and ready to go.

I'm so disappointed with Lollipop. All this hoo-ha and for nothing.
    02-05-2015 05:41 PM
    tnx bestcraig.. its working now but old one was better then this new one.
    02-06-2015 03:27 AM
    @rcade7 - the notification is expandable
    02-06-2015 11:52 PM
    You sir are awesome I now have the music controls back on my galaxy s5 lock screen I've been looking at how to get it back on for ages so I just had to sign up and type this to thank you it works go to settings-sounds and notifications- while locked- and choose which one you prefer they. both show music controls on lock screen
    02-07-2015 03:13 PM
    Hey guys! I have a new solution to all of this!

I just released a music control app. With it you can control music playback by tapping the sides of your phone (left and right to play/pause, top and bottom to skip tracks) without even turning your screen on.

It's called TapControl, one word. Find it on the Play store.

It is a dollar, but refundable if not what you are looking for. I just released this, and would love some feedback too. I am a third year computer science student at UC Davis, and this is my first Android app. Thanks!
    Jonneh likes this.
    02-10-2015 09:47 PM
    Lollipop has reduced the music play lock screen widget to Just Pause and Skip in a small notification, making no sense at all to the music enthusiasts who uses their phone as an MP3 player, walkman, ipod (whatever you wish to call it). Lollipop should have added more features to the music player considering Google want's us to use their Play store to purchase music.

I have downgraded to Kit Kat 4.4.4
    I will not go back to Lollipop
    I am looking for a new phone that has the best features for a music player. If this ends up being iphone then so be it.

Features I want in a lock screen for a music player:
    • Displaying my artwork....BIG....hello! Whats the point of paying for these beautiful big screens?
    • ALL basic operational features such as PLAY, PAUSE, SKIP FORWARD and SKIP BACK
    • Fast forward or touch and drag through a track
    • Volume control on screen as well as via the volume rocker
    • Shuffle & Repeat
    • Like (Thumbs up or add as favourite)
    • All on screen functions large enough to touch. Important for when you're in motion, (in the car) or if you have fingers bigger than pointy little stick.

For me these are not negotiable, especially when I'm using my phone in the Car or in the Gym. Life moves fast and I don't have time to fuss around with notifications and the like. I want my music up front and ready to go.

I'm so disappointed with Lollipop. All this hoo-ha and for nothing.
    Exactly what I'm talking about. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Note: For everyone replying talking about going to the notifications in Settings, that's not what this thread is talking about. We're talking about the benefits provided through the actual (and full-screen) Widget, not a tiny (and expandable to medium) notification. The notification in Lollipop doesn't even provide fast-forward and reverse. It's just pause, play, previous track, and next track. The once beautiful album art is reduced to a tiny thumbnail. Not only does it visually look worse than what we previously had in Android, but it is less functional as well. THAT is what this thread is about.
    02-11-2015 09:11 PM
    Hey guys! I have a new solution to all of this!

I just released a music control app. With it you can control music playback by tapping the sides of your phone (left and right to play/pause, top and bottom to skip tracks) without even turning your screen on.

It's called TapControl, one word. Find it on the Play store.

It is a dollar, but refundable if not what you are looking for. I just released this, and would love some feedback too. I am a third year computer science student at UC Davis, and this is my first Android app. Thanks!
    This is a pretty nifty idea; I like it. I couldn't get it to work right every time while sitting on the couch, so I kept practicing. I did get it to play the next track, pause, and play again, but I never did get it to go to the previous track when tapping the top or bottom. It would only interpret it as skipping to the next track again. I will fool around with it a bit more. Thanks for creating such a neat service. :-)
    TapControl likes this.
    02-11-2015 09:31 PM
    Thanks for checking out my app Jonneh! There is no previous track functionality. Just play/pause with the sides, and next track with either the top or bottom. I'm struggling to communicate to users how to use it immediately, it usually takes a minute or two of practice. Im working on an animation to show how to use, and have also revised the ugly paragraph in the "how to use..." section.
    02-11-2015 09:38 PM
    I got'cha now! I was thinking tapping *such-and-such* side of the phone (left or right) would either pause or play, depending on which side you tapped; tapping the top or bottom of the phone would either skip forward or play the previous track, depending on which side you tapped. I understand it better now. I'll keep playing with it. I refunded for now just because I'm paranoid like that (I know you said you'd refund after Google's window, sorry), but I'll have to try it out again in the actual car tomorrow on the way to work. Although it doesn't solve everything, at least it is 100x's safer to use while driving. :-)
    02-11-2015 09:44 PM
    Keeping your eyes off the phone while driving was one of my biggest inspirations. I look forward to hearing how it works for you tomorrow. Thanks again!
    02-11-2015 09:49 PM
    This thread is almost as annoying as Lollipoop. You've hit the nail on the head. My HTC One M8 used to let me use (from the lock screen) the music app... the WHOLE app with all of its functionality. I could even CHANGE THE ARTIST IF I DARED (imagine?!?!?!) and not just skip one song forward. It is LAUGHABLE to me that it is 2015 and we are basically asking for our phones to be as good as it was before this update, or at LEAST as good as the first ever ipod. This is brutal. Literally one of the features I loved the most and used the most! Listening to music? Pass it to a friend... let them pick whatever song they want! Now I can't use my TV remote either. Best part is? You can edit all of my settings now though... haha turn off my data and wifi after you steal my phone... what an "update" fail!

Exactly what I'm talking about. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Note: For everyone replying talking about going to the notifications in Settings, that's not what this thread is talking about. We're talking about the benefits provided through the actual (and full-screen) Widget, not a tiny (and expandable to medium) notification. The notification in Lollipop doesn't even provide fast-forward and reverse. It's just pause, play, previous track, and next track. The once beautiful album art is reduced to a tiny thumbnail. Not only does it visually look worse than what we previously had in Android, but it is less functional as well. THAT is what this thread is about.
    Jonneh likes this.
    02-17-2015 03:49 PM
    Dont know if anyone is interested, but try Lock Screen MP3 player. It does let you seek and even change background. This is what mine looks like.Play Music lockscreen widget in Lollipop gone? Frustration while driving.-screenshot_2015-02-18-09-37-47.jpg
    02-18-2015 09:52 AM
    I have a shield tablet with 5.01 and while I don't have have the fast forward and reverse control it does show full screen album art.
    02-19-2015 01:14 PM
    I have to totally agree. I'm really unimpressed with music options regarding, Spotify, Google Music, Lollipop and using my phone as a player. This stuff should not be rocket science.
    04-02-2015 11:38 AM
    Ok I too had the same issue with the mp3 player controls no longer appearing on my lock screen along with notifications. I have a solution. Follow this path and it should fix i. I use a note 4 but shouldn't be that different. Go to settings>device>sounds and notifications >click while locked and choose show all content. This should fix it or you can individually choose application notifications. Hope this helps...
    04-07-2015 12:18 AM
    thanks, but what if i dont want any notifications to appear on my lockscreen? i just want the music widget to appear...
    airos4 likes this.
    04-07-2015 05:38 PM
    Go to settings>device>sounds and notifications >click while locked and choose show all content. This should fix it or you can individually choose application notifications. Hope this helps...
    I agree this is helping people, but I don't think that option is disabled by default on a lot of phones. As the OP has mentioned, the current state of affairs with lock screen widgets are bad. I have a Moto X 2nd gen on 5.0, and a GS4 on 4.4.4. Guess which one I use for music in the car? GS4.

I, like many others here, will use this thread to rant a bit:
    I use Spotify. The lockscreen widget on Android L is a joke. Pause/play, Skip forward, and ..... Close button? The damn thing is so small and the close button is right by the skip button. Guess how many times I've ended up just closing the app instead of skipping forward. Sure I can "pull down" to expand but that requires an extra step and looking at the screen... more dexterity requirements. Even then it is still tiny and useless in the car.

While we're at it, I just want to say that while there are a few good things about it, the notification concept is still flawed in Lollipop. Pull down to expand, but also... pull down to pull down? And sometimes when I have a lot of notifications I'm doing a lot of scrolling just to get to what I want, or to get to the quick settings. Sorry, two finger scroll is hard with one-handed use. And why can't I close apps by swiping to the side like I can dismiss notifications? I don't want an X button. Stop rubber banding and let me freaking close you if I want damnit.

Also while we're at it, the sound/vibrate/dnd in L is flawed too. If I'm Chromecasting I can only ever ever control volume on the Chromecast (um, wouldn't I just use TV remote in most cases?) I can't turn off my ringer or lower game volume if I want to play a game at the same time without using a separate 3rd party widget on the homescreen. Or if I'm only in a game I can't turn off notification sounds because it controls game/media volume unless I leave game and wait like 30 seconds. It's just not right I tell you!

Rant over. Google, please make it better.
    Jonneh likes this.
    04-08-2015 10:06 AM
    Hay jonneh I just found a way to have your music on the lock screen so u can change it when ever u want.

To do this u have to go under the settings > sound and notifications then there should be at the bottom of the page notifications while locked change it from do not show any notification to show all contents

This will then allow you to see your notification on the lock screen also including the music bar.

I hope this help everyone
    This appears to have worked for me.

Really hating this OS update, so many things have changed and not for the better, IMHO
    04-09-2015 08:22 AM
    Hopefully, a good media player lock screen control app will be developed. Until that happens, here's what I'm using: Next Lock Screen
    It's far better than Lollipop lock screen. And strangely enough, it's from Microsoft.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    05-06-2015 03:33 PM
    thanks, but what if i dont want any notifications to appear on my lockscreen? i just want the music widget to appear...
    Exactly. No irritating and stressfull notifications, just the musicplayer. Am I the only one that use the mobile 80% percent of my usage-time for music? Otherwise maybe Google should target their targetgroup better.... Just dug out my old mp3-player.
    Jonneh likes this.
    05-21-2015 03:48 PM
    I will say, LG's implementation on the G4 looks a bit better..same thing at its core, but something about it just looks better...maybe how they implemented pin code and all. It can be hidden on the screen, displaying the album work bright and full. I've moved on from my Nexus 5, sadly.

I'm okay with it now, at least.
    06-09-2015 01:56 PM
    You could use screen pinning as a workaround. By pinning your music app, android will show that app instead of the lock screen untill you unlock the screen.
    Jonneh likes this.
    07-07-2015 05:20 AM
    Just wanted to say, I'm in the same boat. I love having lockscreen controls, especially when I was working in my garage last night and wanted to play tunes on my bluetooth loudspeaker and couldn't easily skip through songs occasionally. I've just tried two programs that work pretty well. Rocket Play works very well, and is free. The only (small) issue is that Google Play Music, which I was using before, was actually part of the Android Lock Screen, whereas in this program, you have to slide out of it, and then do the lockscreen to get back into the phone. Other than that, it's great.
    mscolwhite and Jonneh like this.
    07-29-2015 04:54 PM
    Play Music lockscreen widget in Lollipop gone- NO my dear

go to setting ,sound and notification and select (when device is locked) show all notification

i think you able to use.....
    Thanks man...that does it.
    08-01-2015 08:27 PM
    It's still one of the dumbest OS 'upgrades' I've ever seen.
    Jonneh likes this.
    08-01-2015 10:21 PM
56 123