Do not install 5.0 if you use Exchange...

richyo

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Had an issue with my work college's Galaxy S4 (5.0.1) using the native email (gmail app).
Outlook app was used as the alternative.

No issues with Exchange using the native Email app on my Xperia Z2 (5.0.2) though

sportslover3300

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I had horrible issues with a Note 4. My 4.4.4 worked perfectlyon my Note 3 with my exchange server and now with a Note 4 I was dead in the water and didnt have contacts for 2 weeks. I talked to Samsung directly and found that in my wifi settings I had the SMART NETWORK SWITCH box checked. It will "automatically switch between WiFi and mobile networks, and also between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands, to maintain a stable Internet connection. This was a massive problem when you have a huge number of contacts (I have close to 6k). Basically everytime it would try to pull data from the server on the PUSH setting it would download maybe 4 to 5 contacts then lose connection and stop pulling. Once this box was no longer checked my contacts worked perfectly. In 1 hour I got more contacts then I did in 3 days before when the box was checked.

pbasch

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Matter of taste - I really liked having two separate email apps, with different kinds of notifications etc. Just as I may dress differently for work, be in a different location, behave differently, I like my work environment to be different than my personal environment. So different email clients made sense to me. When I tried adding my exchange account to gmail, I found that they all mixed together, and I couldn't figure out how to view ONLY my work emails or ONLY my personal emails.
So I disentanged that (which isn't trivial, BTW) and downloaded the Outlook app.
Now I look at my calendar, where I DO want all my appointments in one place, because I'll risk missing something if I have to flip back and forth between two calendar apps. But it seems that I can't have that anymore. It was one of the great advantages of the Android calendar, that I could have my Google calendar and my Exchange calendar all in one place.
Google is actually punishing me for not wanting to use the Gmail app for everything! That's petty and bullying behavior.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Matter of taste - I really liked having two separate email apps, with different kinds of notifications etc. Just as I may dress differently for work, be in a different location, behave differently, I like my work environment to be different than my personal environment. So different email clients made sense to me. When I tried adding my exchange account to gmail, I found that they all mixed together, and I couldn't figure out how to view ONLY my work emails or ONLY my personal emails.
So I disentanged that (which isn't trivial, BTW) and downloaded the Outlook app.
Now I look at my calendar, where I DO want all my appointments in one place, because I'll risk missing something if I have to flip back and forth between two calendar apps. But it seems that I can't have that anymore. It was one of the great advantages of the Android calendar, that I could have my Google calendar and my Exchange calendar all in one place.
Google is actually punishing me for not wanting to use the Gmail app for everything! That's petty and bullying behavior.
You can get GMail to only display mail from one account, if you haven't figured it out already. Open the menu by tapping the three horizontal bar icon on the top left. Tap the down arrow right below your account picture and select the account you wish to view the mail for.

You can also use Inbox for GMail to manage your Google mail. That's what I do, while using GMail for my work mail address only. This way I can view all my calendar entries on Google Calendar.

nintendo1889

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just an update, gmail 6.4 and newer works with all exchange activesync servers, even the weird ones like imail and kerio mail!

However i am not sure if Google Calendar will show or update the eas calendars.

Now you can have a true unified inbox (gmail hotmail exchange!). The gmail apps search functionality only searches the cached emails, not everything on the exchange the server. IMHO no android app can search emails on the server except for Microsoft's outlook app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay