Do not install 5.0 if you use Exchange...

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't find this here, but apparently 5.0 is not working well with Exchange. I have literally lost the ability to use this as a work smartphone (and now scrambling to find another phone) as emails have stopped coming in, and I can no longer setup my work email address due to the "couldn't open connection to server" that seems to be a known issue.

Not sure if it is just a Nexus 5 issue or not, but doesn't appear to be so based on what I'm seeing online.

Unbelievably frustrating. But beware of the issue if you rely on Exchange email.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
In positive news, Nine literally just came out with a fix for it. Which is great. Humorously last week I was "finding my credit card number" away from buying TouchDownHD for calendar/email functionality but forgot to. They haven't fixed it yet.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
My GMail on Lollipop works perfectly with the Exchange server we use at work. I'm happy that I can now just use one mail client to check both GMail and my work mail. :)

It may depend on the settings on the Exchange server you're connected to.

bbgolf

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Works well with my Microsoft Hosted Exchange. Crashes repeatedly with my corporate Exchange 2003 when using push, without push it crashes each time it tries to sync.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It works perfectly for me.

What mail client are you using? I have been using Nine for 6 months and it continues to work perfectly on my Nexus 5 with Android 5.0.

My Nexus 6 was just delivered a few hours ago but I was stuck in a meeting which I could not leave so only just unboxed it a few minutes ago. I'll be testing Nine there soon.

gblum

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here, wish I would have known before the update. I now have to stop in WI-FI zones to VPN in and check mail. What a pain. Our tech staff is pulling their hair out. They've gone out with notice to employees that haven't been upgraded yet to not do so.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
When my phone was KitKat, I side-loaded gmail 5.0 and the new Exchange Services apk required for it (both available a couple weeks ago), and it wouldn't sync with our company's Exchange server. Would just spin the circle forever saying "syncing".

So I ended up uninstalling gmail 5.0 and went back to previous version, and went back to the old android "Email" app that works with exchange.

Now that my phone is upgraded to Lollipop, gmail 5.0 is working fine with my company's exchange server.

bbgolf

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It works perfectly for me.

What mail client are you using? I have been using Nine for 6 months and it continues to work perfectly on my Nexus 5 with Android

Gmail app crashes with my Exchange 2003 server so I use Nine for that account. Previously on KitKat my email stuck in the outbox, may be time to replace Exchange 2003.

Posted via the Android Central App

qwertylover

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I am frustrated beyond belief right now because I can't add appointments to my work Outlook via Touchdown. The email sync seems to be working fine, but when I try to add an appointment to the calendar, it just remains stuck in the "processing" phase after I enter the appointment and hit save. Is this something that Touchdown or Google will fix, or am I just out of luck?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I am frustrated beyond belief right now because I can't add appointments to my work Outlook via Touchdown. The email sync seems to be working fine, but when I try to add an appointment to the calendar, it just remains stuck in the "processing" phase after I enter the appointment and hit save. Is this something that Touchdown or Google will fix, or am I just out of luck?

I would think Touchdown should fix it, not Google. I have a similar issue with Sunrise, where I can't view or update my Exchange calendar entries through it. OTOH, I can access them just fine from the native Android calendar app. That's probably a compatibility issue. Google has updated their exchange connector, so I wouldn't be surprised if apps that use it need to be updated.

For me, I don't need Sunrise anymore. The updated Android calendar is good enough for me now.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've switched to Nine which for now has fixed things. But this is a Lollipop issue given it obviously doens't play nice with even the stock email app (which worked perfectly before on my work's Exchange servers). We use iPhone's, blackberries, Samsungs, you name it, all seem to work fine with their stock email programs as 4.4.4 did. The only change was upgrading to 5.0, and it broke (and clearly not just for me). Touchdown stopped working as well.

Here's an interesting link where some are surmising that there are certain TLS settings within Exchange Servers that would have to be adjusted due to how Lollipop was implemented.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79389

In any event, as mentioned above Nine is working (and you'll see when you download it that they patched it to "fix the SSL issue with Lollipop") ... maybe Google can do the same with their stock email app? :-\

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I used Touchdown for quite some time but I now much prefer Nine. If nothing else, it is far prettier. :) And it syncs Tasks which the last I recall Touchdown still does not do so.

qwertylover

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
For anyone using TouchDown, I emailed Symantec this morning and got a prompt reply with a beta .apk that fixed the problem of not being able to sync the calendar since the Lollipop upgrade. I cannot post the email here (the forum won't allow it since I have fewer than 10 posts), but it is TouchDown-Support (at) Symantec (dot) com.

Last edited:

slinky

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I use Mailwise, which is excellent. Android is frustrating with Microsoft and unfortunately I'd sooner get a Windows phone than switch to gmail based systems. It's a completely different tool and I wish it would be recognized as that and a need to create a cooperative existence.

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I use gmail and Google calendar to sync with exchange on 5.0. No problems so far. I was using touchdown before but the calendar issue got me tinkering... I like this setup better now personally.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Mailwise, which is excellent. Android is frustrating with Microsoft and unfortunately I'd sooner get a Windows phone than switch to gmail based systems. It's a completely different tool and I wish it would be recognized as that and a need to create a cooperative existence.
Can you elaborate on the last statement? I have my corporate Exchange account synced to my Lollipop phone, including mail, contacts and calendar. I haven't run into any noticeable issue using any of the Exchange components on the device.

FWIW, I'd sell my soul to the devil before buying a Windows phone. I haven't had a Windows computer at home since 2004, and I have no plans to change that.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Can you elaborate on the last statement? I have my corporate Exchange account synced to my Lollipop phone, including mail, contacts and calendar. I haven't run into any noticeable issue using any of the Exchange components on the device.

FWIW, I'd sell my soul to the devil before buying a Windows phone. I haven't had a Windows computer at home since 2004, and I have no plans to change that.

So, lots of experience with Windows & Windows Phone then to make that statement then...

We had a corporate-wide email sent out regarding Lollipop and Exchange being incompatible. We were told not to upgrade until mid-January when it would be patched at the office.

Here was the email from Corporate:

"MobileIron MDM does not currently support the upgrade and corporate email will stop synching with your device. It is strongly recommended to not update your device at this time and also be aware that purchasing a new Android 5.0 device will need to wait until our server upgrade to install MDM.

We expect an update to MobileIron by January to support Android 5.0."​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance